Cinecon 2017?

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

Brooksie

Re: Cinecon 2017?

PostSat Sep 16, 2017 11:36 am

Salvation Hunters really seemed to divide audiences. I've heard from people who loved it, but I've heard from people who thought it was pretentious claptrap. All the more reason I want to see it and, based on the rousing reception, The Power of The Press.

dalefullerfan2014

PostSat Sep 16, 2017 3:20 pm

The Power of the Press is a very interesting film and well worth seeing.
Randy
PS,
One of the aspects of The Salvation Hunters that I didn't like were the titles telling you the story as opposed to the film visually showing you the story. One visual scene I did enjoy was when "The Pimp" stood between those goat horns mounted on a wall to symbolize he was a devil. It was nice once but Von Sternberg repeated it at least two more times and it lost it's power.
Randy

precode

PostSun Sep 17, 2017 3:49 pm

Brooksie wrote:Salvation Hunters really seemed to divide audiences. I've heard from people who loved it, but I've heard from people who thought it was pretentious claptrap. All the more reason I want to see it and, based on the rousing reception, The Power of The Press.

As I mentioned in my introduction, I did manage to include "Power" in the Columbia Sam Fuller box set, which is still available through Amazon for a decent price--though they're down to only three copies, so I wouldn't dally. It might lose a little without a spellbound audience, but it's still, as Sam would say, one pisscutter of a picture.

Mike S.

https://www.amazon.com/Collection-Holly ... collection

Brooksie

PostMon Sep 18, 2017 11:46 am

precode wrote:
Brooksie wrote:Salvation Hunters really seemed to divide audiences. I've heard from people who loved it, but I've heard from people who thought it was pretentious claptrap. All the more reason I want to see it and, based on the rousing reception, The Power of The Press.

As I mentioned in my introduction, I did manage to include "Power" in the Columbia Sam Fuller box set, which is still available through Amazon for a decent price--though they're down to only three copies, so I wouldn't dally. It might lose a little without a spellbound audience, but it's still, as Sam would say, one pisscutter of a picture.

Mike S.

https://www.amazon.com/Collection-Holly ... collection" target="_blank

It's now on my to-buy list, thank you!

Jim Roots

PostMon Sep 18, 2017 1:05 pm

precode wrote:

Mike S.

https://www.amazon.com/Collection-Holly ... collection" target="_blank

Mike, I tried to order it but they won't ship to Canada. Any idea why?

Any volunteers to "donate" a copy to a poor boy in a Canada that is apparently being hit by unfair sanctions?

Jim

dalefullerfan2014

PostTue Sep 19, 2017 6:42 pm

Thanks Janet,
Thank you Janet for finishing up your Cinecon reviews. I've printed them out and am looking forward to reading them.
Randy
PS,
I'm just back from a matinee of the Darren Aronofsky written and directed movie "mother!" The reviews I've read all compare it to "Rosemary's Baby" and Hieronymos Bosch which I would say is apt. A couple even refer to Luis Bunuel which I can see too. It's well worth checking out. Jennifer Lawrence is very good. Javier Bardem and Ed Harris are alright also. Michelle Pfeiffer is exceptional in it. The reviews all mention the over the top ending which is really over the top. Back in 2000 I saw Aronofsky's "Requiem for a Dream" which I also enjoyed. That ending for "mother!" is really something.

dalefullerfan2014

PostTue Sep 19, 2017 8:01 pm

There's even a Biblical theme running through "mother!" with various characters resembling God,Adam & Eve and Cain & Able. "Paradise" is even depicted.
Randy

missdupont

PostTue Sep 19, 2017 8:32 pm

For those who didn't find the link to my review earlier underneath my short comment about the Festival, here it is:
https://ladailymirror.com/2017/09/11/ma ... rtainment/

dalefullerfan2014

PostTue Sep 19, 2017 8:54 pm

Hi Mary,
I just finished reading your reviews and really enjoyed them.
Randy
PS,
As much as I wanted to enjoy "The Salvation Hunters". The movie just didn't do it for me.

dalefullerfan2014

PostTue Sep 19, 2017 9:44 pm

Hi Janet,
I'm looking forward to your final reviews of the Universal & Mentone shorts and your review of "The Black Room"
Randy
PS,
I really enjoyed the lovely theme song used in "The Black Room" and if I remember correctly sung by Marion Marsh. Were you at the Cinecon(sometime in the 1990's) when Marian Marsh was honored? They screened "The Mad Genius"

filmJan

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 10:45 am

dalefullerfan2014 wrote:I really enjoyed the lovely theme song used in "The Black Room" and if I remember correctly sung by Marion Marsh. Were you at the Cinecon(sometime in the 1990's) when Marian Marsh was honored? They screened "The Mad Genius"

I really enjoyed "The Black Room" -- I wasn't at the Cinecon with Marian Marsh for "The Mad Genius", but would have liked to have been there. It looks like that was shown in 1993 (I first started to go to Cinecon in 1995).

Janet

dalefullerfan2014

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 12:32 pm

The two actors I regret missing at Cinecon were George O'Brien and Jack Oakie. I did see(and meet briefly) Esther Ralston shortly before she died at a Cinecon. That was a nice treat for me.
Randy
Randy

dalefullerfan2014

PostWed Sep 20, 2017 1:05 pm

I noticed that Micky's Dolenz's father had a small part in "Bowery to Broadway" (Universal/1944).
Randy

dalefullerfan2014

PostFri Sep 22, 2017 5:46 pm

Thanks Janet,
It looks like you've finished your Cinecon reviews. I'm looking forward to your reviews of "The Black Room" and some of the shorts.
Randy
PS,
I have a laser disc of "The Black Room" but it's been ages since I've taken it out and looked at it.
Randy

filmJan

PostSat Sep 23, 2017 11:56 am

dalefullerfan2014 wrote:Thanks Janet,
It looks like you've finished your Cinecon reviews. I'm looking forward to your reviews of "The Black Room" and some of the shorts.
Randy
PS,
I have a laser disc of "The Black Room" but it's been ages since I've taken it out and looked at it.
Randy

I don't think I had seen "The Black Room" before (though it did seem slightly familiar) - I wasn't sure if I was going to stay up and see that one (since it started at Cinecon at 10:45 pm), but decided that I really wanted to see it (more than what was showing the next morning) - glad I did. Did get home really late!

Years ago, I remember wanting to get a laserdisc player and start buying movies on laser disc, but I never did -- I currently have boxes filled with old Beta tapes with movies on them that I can't play anymore since the player broke years ago (but still hold on to the tapes, for some reason).

Janet

dalefullerfan2014

PostSat Sep 23, 2017 1:59 pm

Hi Janet,
It's amazing the films(both silent and sound) that were released on Laser disc back in the day. For the most part the transfers were beautiful and the scores for the silent films very good. Many had audio commentary(sometimes dual commentaries). A lot had extra features and some were laser disc exclusives including the 1921 "Tol'able David"/with an interview with Henry King and if I remember correctly a "live" score by Robert Israel and a small ensemble, the longer versions of Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger's "The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp" and "The Devil and Daniel Webster". All of the Disney animated features from the thirties to the fifties had hours of extras. "Snow White and the Seven Dwarf's" extra's were close to four hours. Hundreds of the Warner Brother cartoons came out as box sets as did the MGM cartoons of Tex Avery as well as some Fleischer stuff, 42 Happy Harmonies from 1934-1943. The list goes on and on. I still have a list of the discs I own. If you like I can send them to you.
Thanks,
Randy
PS,
There were also all sorts of American silent films released from Japan which I bought. Some had very good transfers with live translation in Japanese on a second track. Most of the transfers were pretty bad. With "Docks of New York", "Doc's of New York" was printed as the title. Pretty funny. Even the 1913 Danish film "Atlantis" which you may remember from a Glendale Cinecon was released on Laser Disc exclusively in the States.

dalefullerfan2014

PostSat Sep 23, 2017 2:10 pm

A couple of other nice things about Laser Disc players is that the discs were not copy guarded so I was able to make beautiful copies on vhs tape for my friends. The players also doubled as C.D. players So all and all they were a pretty good deal.
Randy

dalefullerfan2014

PostSat Sep 23, 2017 4:04 pm

Back in the vhs days you could only have commentary on a laser disc. But as laser disc owners can tell you a lot of them deteriorate with age and are prone to what was known at the time as "laser rot" where the disc would oxidize. Another problem with some discs( as with DVD'S) is a "skip and lock" problem where your disc would only play to a certain point. Usually it would play fine on another machine. The l.d. players tended to wear out faster than DVD players, at least in my case.
Randy

filmJan

PostSat Sep 23, 2017 5:45 pm

dalefullerfan2014 wrote:Hi Janet,
It's amazing the films(both silent and sound) that were released on Laser disc back in the day. For the most part the transfers were beautiful and the scores for the silent films very good. Many had audio commentary(sometimes dual commentaries). A lot had extra features and some were laser disc exclusives including the 1921 "Tol'able David"/with an interview with Henry King and if I remember correctly a "live" score by Robert Israel and a small ensemble, the longer versions of Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger's "The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp" and "The Devil and Daniel Webster". All of the Disney animated features from the thirties to the fifties had hours of extras. "Snow White and the Seven Dwarf's" extra's were close to four hours. Hundreds of the Warner Brother cartoons came out as box sets as did the MGM cartoons of Tex Avery as well as some Fleischer stuff, 42 Happy Harmonies from 1934-1943. The list goes on and on. I still have a list of the discs I own. If you like I can send them to you.
Thanks,
Randy
PS,
There were also all sorts of American silent films released from Japan which I bought. Some had very good transfers with live translation in Japanese on a second track. Most of the transfers were pretty bad. With "Docks of New York", "Doc's of New York" was printed as the title. Pretty funny. Even the 1913 Danish film "Atlantis" which you may remember from a Glendale Cinecon was released on Laser Disc exclusively in the States.

Hi Randy,
That's interesting - I didn't even realize there were so many movies (especially silents) released on laser disc. I remember, years ago, sometimes looking at the display of discs (at whatever was the store that sold them - record store?). I absolutely can't remember why I never decided to get a laserdisc player and buy some of those - maybe the laser discs were very expensive (I can't remember)? Yes, interested in your list. I don't remember Atlantis (1913), though I was at that Cinecon so I probably did see it (I just found my program for Cinecon 33 and definitely saw the movie that was screened right before it).

Janet

dalefullerfan2014

PostSat Sep 23, 2017 6:23 pm

Hi Janet,
I'll get the list out to you early next week. With the exception of box sets. laser discs were very affordable. There were some known as "CAV"(I think that's correct), where you only got 30 minutes to a side but the resolution was much better. They always cost more. With the usual disc you got 60 minutes to a side with a contraption inside that would get to side two of a disc with just a slight break w/o having to get up and turn the disc over. On the earlier machines you had to take the disc out and turn it over.
Randy

dalefullerfan2014

PostSat Sep 23, 2017 7:05 pm

Some of the Japanese discs are gorgeous including a D.W. Griffith Box, a Donald Duck box, a Disneyland t.v. show box, The Beatles live in Japan, Garbo's "The Torrent", Michael Powell's "Battle of the River Plate",a 1966/'67 Pink Floyd disc(back when the group mattered), a '69 Stones live in Hyde Park. I have a "Black Pirate" from Japan before it's restoration(and the one from America with commentary after it's restoration). Other discs from Japan are not as good bordering on " a dupe of a dupe" kind of thing.
Randy

dalefullerfan2014

PostSat Sep 23, 2017 7:35 pm

Sometime in the 1990's at the PFA I saw a beautiful color 35mm print from Japan of Roger Corman's 1964 "Masque of the Red Death" which I believed was photographed by Floyd Crosby, David's father. It was in the original English with the Japanese titles parallel on the very edge of the right hand side of the print. With the addition of the Japanese titles the film had even more of a hallucinatory look to it.
Randy
PS,
Perhaps the most beautiful print I ever saw was UCLA's 35mm Nitrate/Technicolor of DeMille's "Samson and Delilah"". A corny film but that print of UCLA is stunning. Maybe the folks at Cinecon should consider this next year. Angela Lansbury & Russ " I'm a tumbler, not a dancer"Tamblyn could appear...... Maybe tell us stories of working with Fritz Leiber? I like this print even more that the BFI's(?) Nitrate.Tech. print of " Black Narcissus.

dalefullerfan2014

PostTue Sep 26, 2017 10:49 am

Hi Jan,
I tried to upload my list of laser discs that I have and for one reason or another wasn't able to. I sent the list to your email account that I got on your site. If there's a way you can attach the list to this site, please do so.
Randy

missdupont

PostTue Sep 26, 2017 11:36 am

Can you PM each other rather than sharing your conversation for all to see?

dalefullerfan2014

PostTue Sep 26, 2017 12:50 pm

Sure.
Randy
Previous

Return to Talking About Talkies