Subtitlers in the credits?

Talk about the work of collecting, restoring and preserving our film heritage here.
  • Author

foundintranslation

Subtitlers in the credits?

PostSun Oct 08, 2017 12:53 pm

I'm looking for subtitler credits in films released from the 1930s to the 1960s.

What I'm looking for is to identify the specific subtitlers of specific versions, partly original release versions; I've got lots of press listings but am having trouble in tracking down versions which actually have the subtitler credit. The goal at the end of it all is to find ways of working with archives to preserve and show historically significant subtitled versions.

The kind of things I'm looking for are this Mai Harris title credit from Senso, and this Herman Weinberg title credit from Zauber der Boheme/The Charm of La Bohème. They should display at the bottom of this message.

Some names that might come up include: Harris, Weinberg, Julia Wolf, C. Dennis Freeman, John Erskine, Charles Clement, Harold J. Salemson, Rose Sokol, Ursule Molinaro, George Slocombe, Anis Ebaid, Suzanne Chantal.

If anyone has in their collections any versions which credits one of these, or anyone else, I'd be really interested to hear from you.

earlytalkiebuffRob

Re: Subtitlers in the credits?

PostTue Oct 17, 2017 2:02 pm

WIFE FOR A NIGHT (1952) (on YT) has English subtitles by Herman Weinberg. Only noticed this as wondered what the film was, then noted it for a friend who is interested in subtitling...

foundintranslation

Re: Subtitlers in the credits?

PostTue Oct 17, 2017 2:50 pm

Thank you, earlytalkiebuffRob! Much appreciated! :)

Return to Collecting and Preservation