Open, general discussion of music during the era of classic/nitrate movies
  • Author

Bob Furmanek

Happy 60th to the Stereo LP!

PostMon Nov 13, 2017 8:54 pm

Donald Binks

Re: Happy 60th to the Stereo LP!

PostTue Nov 14, 2017 7:30 am

That's interesting. I remember reading that Peter Dawson, the Australian baritone who had recorded from the days of Edison cylinders, made one of the first stereophonic recordings in London round about the mid-1950's. The track was never issued in stereophonic sound initially but it did turn up on a boxed set of LP's back in the 1980's. The track was a musical version of "Banjo" Paterson's poem "Clancy of the overflow".

Back in the '50's most folks I knew still had their old gramophones and played 78's, however a friend of mine got a new stereophonic gramophone for his birthday. The two speakers formed the lid, and I distinctly remember us setting them up the correct distance apart and then listening to a train coming through the room!

Also I remember two commercial broadcasting stations joining forces in order to "do" stereophony. Luckily our house had two wireless sets - so we could listen in to it.

Good memories.
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,
she won't polish them..."You know what she's like." So I said:..."

Jim Roots

PostTue Nov 14, 2017 10:37 am

Love the reference to "George Liberace" in one of the 1958 articles!

Jim

daveboz

PostTue Nov 14, 2017 8:31 pm

Jim Roots wrote:Love the reference to "George Liberace" in one of the 1958 articles!

Jim

====

Brother of THE Liberace.
yer pal Dave

Jim Roots

PostWed Nov 15, 2017 6:22 am

daveboz wrote:
Jim Roots wrote:Love the reference to "George Liberace" in one of the 1958 articles!

Jim

====

Brother of THE Liberace.

Yes, and did you notice how the LP cover obscured the "George" in its artwork? "LIBERACE" in big letters on a white background. "George" in tiny script, buried in a black cloud just above the surname. Wonder why? :roll:

Jim

Bob Furmanek

PostThu Nov 16, 2017 8:53 am

Thank you so much for your very kind words. They are certainly appreciated and I'm very happy to share the research.

I tried to find a documented, chronological listing which spelled out the specific dates and titles from each label during this first year of stereo albums, but had no luck. In fact, I found lots of wrong information online so I decided to compile it myself!

I found the best results were achieved by using multiple sources. Many times, data that is reported in one publication is missing in another. In order to make the information as complete and accurate as possible, I did my research in Billboard, Cash Box, Audio Magazine, Saturday Review, High Fidelity, HiFi & Music Review plus vintage newspapers at newspapers.com

Also, I put this page together rather quickly when I realized the 60th anniversary was the next day. I have more visuals to add - with better scans of some ads - and my plan is to have it finalized by the end of December. I hope to include at least one first-printing sample cover from each label.

Thanks again!

Return to Music of the Era