"Martha Mansfield Silent Scream" book

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

KevinScottCollier

"Martha Mansfield Silent Scream" book

PostFri Dec 15, 2017 11:41 am

My new book about the strange backstories about "The Warrens of Virginia," from Belasco stage play in 1907, to Fox film release in 1924, is told ... with focus on the death of actress Martha Mansfield. In a 12-month period, during the production of movies, actress Mansfield died as a result of her costume dress being accidentally set on fire and 4 other actresses were injured by fires. The book takes a look at all the strange (The Warrens of Virgina) coincidences and includes photos, articles, reviews and exclusive commentary by Mansfield biographer Louise Carley Lewisson. Check it out...
https://www.amazon.com/Martha-Mansfield ... l_huc_item" target="_blank

wich2

Re: "Martha Mansfield Silent Scream" book

PostFri Dec 15, 2017 12:03 pm

Kevin-

Please tell us more about it:

What drew you to Martha's story? What work of hers you've seen and liked/not liked? Etc.

(I think she's very good, in a role that could have fallen into saccharine, in Jack's JEKYLL & HYDE.)

Happy holidays,
-Craig

missdupont

PostFri Dec 15, 2017 1:40 pm

Did you go to archives and find primary research for this book, or is it just gleaned from the internet?

KevinScottCollier

PostSun Dec 17, 2017 4:32 pm

The research included anything about "The Warrens" in digitized entertainment magazines via Lantern, Library of Congress archives, Chronicling America digital newspapers, San Antonio historic society, San Antonio Express, working with Mansfield biographer Louise Carley Lewisson (provided content for the book), family ancestry info, etc.

The book is a history of "Warrens" mishaps 1907-1924, with Martha's accident is featured in particular. So, it's not a Mansfield biography, I recommend Lewisson's book for that.

Mansfield favs: "Max Wants a Divorce" 1917 with Max Linder is very funny. She's great in "Hyde." "His Wonderful Chance" she only appears toward the middle and end, but in this one, her beauty really shows.

I know there were no safety laws in the cinema workplace back then, but the Mansfield incident should have got the attention of producers, but they didn't do a thing. Only months after Martha died, two other actresses had fire incidents. Articles stated: "It could have turned out to be another Martha Mansfield." Nobody cared.

Return to Silent News