INFLUENZA 1918 - American Experience

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

T0m M

INFLUENZA 1918 - American Experience

PostTue Jan 02, 2018 7:39 am

The PBS program American Experience has a documentary, Influenza 1918. It is airing tonight, January 2, 2018, at 9:00 p.m. for members in eastern Ontario and upper New York state, having access to WPBS out of Watertown. Other PBS affiliates may be airing it it at the same time or soon. Check your local PBS schedule. The first chapter (10 minutes) is also currently available online, at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperie ... za/#part01" target="_blank .

linquist

Re: INFLUENZA 1918 - American Experience

PostWed Jan 03, 2018 8:41 am

Saw this last night. I remember seeing it many year ago (copyright said 1998.) Since then, they've been discounting the Kansas theory. From the story, you get a sense of the fear involved, but when I read through the film magazines of the era, there is a greater sense of "what's the big deal." Chaplin released SHOULDER ARMS at that time and if you could find it at an open theater, the place would have been packed. There must have been quite a number of people who took this medical catastrophe as something less than scary. The studios closed down and stopped releasing films but Griffith, known as a germophobe, kept his studio open while making Broken Blossoms. He even wanted to replace Lillian Gish when she got sick with influenza. Strange, scary times.

Pathe Lehrman

PostFri Jan 05, 2018 7:26 am

Fox closed their studios as well, but Henry Lehrman was given permission to keep his Fox Sunshine studios open and functioning because he was so far behind schedule. The West Coast in general was better able to deal with the pandemic when it finally reached their shores, having learned from the mistakes made in the eastern and central states. The powers that be in the Los Angeles area were pro-active, and as a result the flu was far less deadly when it finally arrived.

Tom Reeder

s.w.a.c.

PostFri Jan 12, 2018 12:26 pm

It was very strange to see photos from the U.S. Great Lakes Naval Base, my grandfather was stationed there during the First World War where he, as he used to state, spent the conflict "flying barrage balloons over Lake Michigan." I think because he was Canadian-born and living in Chicago, he enlisted in the U.S. to avoid conscription back home.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

All Darc

PostFri Jan 12, 2018 7:34 pm

Measles killed more during colonization of america continent....
Ohh, if they have vacines...

But in our modern times people are now making campaign against vacines.
Ohh it they weren't idiots...
Keep thinking...

Rick Lanham

PostFri Jan 12, 2018 8:01 pm

I watched this tonight via the PBS channel on Roku. Fascinating. They did mention that there was already a vaccine for diptheria. My father got diptheria in 1919. I assume he hadn't been vaccinated.

I was stationed at Great Lakes in the late 1960s, but I didn't see anything familiar about those images, fortunately. There were some old buildings still there though…

A current story on flu in Georgia:

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/37217103/fl ... th-georgia

Rick
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

busby1959

PostSun Jan 14, 2018 4:58 pm

One hundred years later, hospital emergency rooms and immediate care centers are overflowing with people who have caught the particularly strong flu that's hitting people all over the country. The flu vaccine has done little, if anything, to halt it. All medical personnel are wearing face masks. People have been spending weeks in hospital beds. Even deaths have been reported in some states. If not a pandemic, it's certainly an epidemic...and many people are not responding to treatments.
I'm still recovering from it after four weeks, and the 1918 nightmare came into my mind the other day. History does seem to repeat itself.

All Darc

PostMon Jan 15, 2018 10:06 am

This was in 2015, and killed 800 in USA. Not even close to the 1918 influenza.

busby1959 wrote:One hundred years later, hospital emergency rooms and immediate care centers are overflowing with people who have caught the particularly strong flu that's hitting people all over the country. The flu vaccine has done little, if anything, to halt it. All medical personnel are wearing face masks. People have been spending weeks in hospital beds. Even deaths have been reported in some states. If not a pandemic, it's certainly an epidemic...and many people are not responding to treatments.
I'm still recovering from it after four weeks, and the 1918 nightmare came into my mind the other day. History does seem to repeat itself.
Keep thinking...

Saint-Just

PostMon Jan 15, 2018 10:09 am

All Darc wrote:This was in 2015, and killed 800 in USA. Not even close to the 1918 influenza.

busby1959 wrote:One hundred years later, hospital emergency rooms and immediate care centers are overflowing with people who have caught the particularly strong flu that's hitting people all over the country. The flu vaccine has done little, if anything, to halt it. All medical personnel are wearing face masks. People have been spending weeks in hospital beds. Even deaths have been reported in some states. If not a pandemic, it's certainly an epidemic...and many people are not responding to treatments.

No, it';s happening RIGHT NOW.

All Darc

PostMon Jan 15, 2018 12:48 pm

Influenza it's difficult to get good vacines, specially when can come from animals.

Do you have a youtube link to this pandemic start ?
I found jet injector can transmite HIV, hepatites... It's not sterelized between shots from one person to another. It was used in many vaccineations campaigns.

Crimes of medical science.
Keep thinking...

silentfilm

PostTue Jan 16, 2018 12:50 pm

My mother also had diphtheria in the early 1940s, probably before there was a vaccine.

The flu viruses mutate every year in response to humans' natural and vaccinated resistance. The medical community has to guess months in advance which flu strains will be dominant during the winter. Here is an unbiased explanation as to why this year's flu vaccines are not very effective.

All Darc

PostTue Jan 16, 2018 6:38 pm

I hope newly created flu vaccines today are far more safe than in 1976, when more people died :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_swine_flu_outbreak

And there extremelly rare cases like this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PplFJ8-Jrjg

I'm not raising flag against vaccines, like the well know vaccines against measles who saved million of lifes and is well know and well studied.

There are cases that even when vaccines killed more than the disease the vaccine was way more usefull, believe me. For example, let's supose the vacine avoided a epidedmy of Measles which would have killed 10 million people, but as result of a mass campaign vacination of 180 million people there were some rare cases of complications and some few died and some other few got permanent compliations, and nearly no case of measles happens. In mathematical way the vacine killed more, but avoid much more which would had get measles and died if wasn't the vacine immnization. Measles it's extremilly contagious.

But the 1976 episode of swine flu wasn't a epidemic like they imagined.
Keep thinking...

Rick Lanham

PostTue Jan 16, 2018 10:07 pm

Tracking "flu" by readings from "smart" thermometers:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technolo ... smsnnews11

Rick
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

All Darc

PostWed Jan 17, 2018 8:40 am

If security cameras, that today are almost everywhere in big cities, had thermographic sensors, it could spot temperature changes in people, even on street, case a software was managing these camera images. But themography sensor are way very expansive, and softwares to manage and analyze each camera would take a lot of processing.
In future I wouldn't be surprised if face detection with thermography analyse became reality, in a world with less privacy as times goes by.

How sensitive we are today. In old times epidemics killed milions, and today a few cases, (relative) like less than fatalities in car accidents in a week, creates alarms.

What concerns is that the same technoloy used to create new medicines against virus, like genetic manipulation, in future could lead to easy enginering of highly letal and very highly contagious virus created in small laboratories from terrorist organizations.

Rick Lanham wrote:Tracking "flu" by readings from "smart" thermometers:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technolo ... smsnnews11" target="_blank" target="_blank

Rick
Keep thinking...

Jim Roots

PostWed Jan 17, 2018 10:46 am

All Darc wrote:If security cameras, that today are almost everywhere in big cities, had thermographic sensors, it could spot temperature changes in people, even on street, case a software was managing these camera images.

Ah, but would the results be useful?

I walked for ten minutes at 6:30 this morning in wind-chill temperatures around minus 30C. Although extremely bundled-up, I could feel my body temperature plunging, especially in my face. That would show up on your thermographic sensor, but it wouldn't mean I have the flu, or even a common cold. It would only mean I was outside in really cold weather for 10 minutes.

Jim,
chipping the ice out of his beard.

All Darc

PostWed Jan 17, 2018 6:38 pm

Well, the cameras would also reecord and considers the weather conditions, cold or warm blows of air on streests, temperature, humidity in environments of given rooms. Not just streets, but in devices for face regognition for log and operations. That's why I sad it would consume lot's of processing, and so it's something for the future.

There is a whole science about thermography, and it's becaming studied and probably will became better and more associations of thermo images and simptons/deseases will be find.

Face recognition, thermography, and I bet even body language & face expression language, also with sciences behind both, will be considered in a future. Some people have a "signature way" for walk, for run, for go when is afraid or feel guilty of something.

The future maybe became some sort of "1984 movie", but instead of a hard dictatorship like in the movie, there will be some dictatorship of politically rightness. People already expose thenselves a lot on Facebook and Instagram.

About politically rightness madness... I did a joke in other forum, about home video, after some fellow forum member did a joke about brazilian women and his wife do not allow he go back to Brazil, and I received a note from a moderator that such thing is not tolerable. It was a joke I did about he fellow's right be correct, some women here (Brasil) have a poison gland behind the toungue (confabulate/gossip).
Their forum probably it's just afraid of law litigation from some feminist.

Jim Roots wrote:
All Darc wrote:If security cameras, that today are almost everywhere in big cities, had thermographic sensors, it could spot temperature changes in people, even on street, case a software was managing these camera images.

Ah, but would the results be useful?

I walked for ten minutes at 6:30 this morning in wind-chill temperatures around minus 30C. Although extremely bundled-up, I could feel my body temperature plunging, especially in my face. That would show up on your thermographic sensor, but it wouldn't mean I have the flu, or even a common cold. It would only mean I was outside in really cold weather for 10 minutes.

Jim,
chipping the ice out of his beard.
Keep thinking...

All Darc

PostSat Jan 20, 2018 7:45 am

Here on Brazil, yellow fever started to anoy and authorites initiate a vacinnation in mass, but 3 people already died from the vacinne.

https://noticias.uol.com.br/saude/ultim ... -paulo.htm" target="_blank

This vacinne was knew as not very safe, 1 dead per 400.000 shots of vacinne. This beacause it's not the integral version (that last a life) but a diluted version that last maybe 7 years, otherwise the risk would be even worse.
Keep thinking...

Tommie Hicks

PostSat Jan 20, 2018 9:18 pm

ALL ABOUT ME ALERT!

I am here today because of the Influenza epidemic of 1918. My grandfather's first wife died of the flu epidemic of 1918. My grandfather not only lost his first wife, but also his parents, two brothers and one sister. I am very much motivated to keep my flu shots up to date.

I was born in West Germany and my folks moved back to the U.S. when I was three. I had to get over twenty shots in three days and I can still remember the horror of it all. Not long after we moved to the U.S. I was informed I would have to get a polio vaccination. Imagine my delight when the vaccine turned out to be a sweet drink instead if an impalement. I remember wishing all shots should be this way.

Return to Silent News