THE TEN COMMANDMENTS (1923) coming to Blu-ray

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author

Gagman 66

THE TEN COMMANDMENTS (1923) coming to Blu-ray

PostTue Jan 11, 2011 11:21 am

:o There is breaking news that the 1923 version of Cecil B. De Mille's THE TEN COMMANDMENTS will be included in the Blu-ray book release of the 1956 film. However, it sounds like the same old, same old, Monochrome print from Paramount as 2006 DVD release, and before that 1985 VHS. Not the 2004 George Eastman House Restoration that reinstated all the original Tint's and Tones, as we see clips appear in the recent De Mille Documentary from Photoplay and TCM AMERICAN EPIC. So somewhat disappointing. At least the movie is not being left out though.
Last edited by Gagman 66 on Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

azjazzman

Re: THE TEN COMMANDMENTS (1923) coming to Blu-ray

PostTue Jan 11, 2011 12:07 pm

Gagman 66 wrote::o There is breaking news that the 1923 version of Cecil B. De Mille's THE TEN COMMANDMENTS will be included in the Blu-ray book release of the 1956 film. However, it sounds like the same old, same old, Monochrome print from Paramount as 2006 DVD release, and before that 1985 VHS. Not the 2004 George Eastman House Restoring that reinstated all the original Tint's and Tones, as we see clips appear in the recent De Mille Documentary from Photoplay and TCM AMERICAN EPIC. So somewhat disappointing. At least the movie is not being left out though.

Haven't seen it mentioned, but Kino also announced a Blu Ray of OUR HOSPITALITY to be released in March, with lots of extra goodies including the alternate cut and THE IRON MULE. The Carl Davis score will be one of the choices.
Last edited by azjazzman on Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gagman 66

PostTue Jan 11, 2011 12:15 pm

azjazzman,

Yes, I'm excited that they were able to get the Carl Davis score to OUR HOSPITALITY too. Just hope it will be in the proper synchronization. I've tried matching it up before, and it didn't work very well with the way the previous Kino print was cut at all.

Chuck W

PostTue Jan 11, 2011 1:08 pm

Gagman 66 wrote::o There is breaking news that the 1923 version of Cecil B. De Mille's THE TEN COMMANDMENTS will be included in the Blu-ray book release of the 1956 film. However, it sounds like the same old, same old, Monochrome print from Paramount as 2006 DVD release, and before that 1985 VHS. Not the 2004 George Eastman House Restoration that reinstated all the original Tint's and Tones, as we see clips appear in the recent De Mille Documentary from Photoplay and TCM AMERICAN EPIC. So somewhat disappointing. At least the movie is not being left out though.

That's a shame. Although I personally think the 1956 film is the better film, it's a shame the 1923 original has been relegated to second-tier status and most likely won't be as lovingly restored for Blu Ray; it's a fascinating display of DeMille's talents that is also narratively quite interesting (particularly in its bifurcated structure). I mean... I'll buy this and watch both films together on a 24 hour loop, but I'm crossing my fingers that they are able to attain the print from the George Eastman Restoration.

(I'm still pretty darn pleased with this announcement though.)

Gagman 66

PostTue Jan 11, 2011 1:21 pm

:( It's not going to happen. They have as much confirmed such. Paramount probably doesn't even know about the 2004 Eastman House restoration. They are simply using the studio print. End of story. What a bummer! If you think it will help matters any, lets all tell them about this.

Chuck W

PostTue Jan 11, 2011 1:33 pm

Gagman 66 wrote::( It's not going to happen. They have as much confirmed such. Paramount probably doesn't even know about the 2004 Eastman House restoration. They are simply using the studio print. End of story. What a bummer! If you think it will help matters any, lets all tell them about this.

Sheesh! What a drag!

Just read the press release, and it looks like this isn't the only downside to this release. It also warrants mentioning that the 1923 version will only be available on the super-deluxe six disc box-set, which will no doubt be far more expensive than the two disc release. So if you want both versions (or, even worse, just the 1923 production) you're going to wind up spending quite a hefty sum.

But, again... I'm still buyin' it. :)

rudyfan

PostTue Jan 11, 2011 1:45 pm

Chuck W wrote:Just read the press release, and it looks like this isn't the only downside to this release. It also warrants mentioning that the 1923 version will only be available on the super-deluxe six disc box-set, which will no doubt be far more expensive than the two disc release. So if you want both versions (or, even worse, just the 1923 production) you're going to wind up spending quite a hefty sum.

But, again... I'm still buyin' it. :)

I love the Hoot-O-Rama that is the 1956 Ten Commandments. I see no reason to replace what I've got with a blu-ray. The last box set was enough for me.

Now, if they'd do The Crusades or Cleopatra or Sign of the Cross in blu-ray, now you're talking!

Gagman 66

PostTue Jan 11, 2011 1:55 pm

:? If it were the Eastman House Restoration (Much better for Blu-Ray), and had more than one Musical score, not just the same Gaylord Carter one as before, and before that, I would be allot more excited about this than I am.

Brianruns10

PostWed Jan 12, 2011 6:27 pm

what really annoys me is the notes for the blu-ray release repeats the error made on the DVD, by describing the alternate clip of the Exodus sequence as being "tinted," not the correct two-color Technicolor.

And given the advances in restoration technology it is a shame they've not yet managed to bring this clip to a point where it would be acceptable to include. Considering it's early use of natural color cinematography, the clip really ought to be with the film proper, and not as an extra.

I already own the DVD, and doubt I'll get this release.

Nick_M

PostThu Jan 13, 2011 12:56 am

What's really frustrating about Paramount's recent handling of it, is that the color portion was properly placed in the VHS release twenty years ago.

ymmv

PostThu Jan 13, 2011 5:43 am

westegg

PostThu Jan 13, 2011 8:09 am

BEHOLD!!

Jack Theakston

PostThu Jan 13, 2011 10:36 am

Actually, there is a fair amount of Handschiegl color during the parting of the Red Sea. At one point, I handled a segment of an original nitrate print of this scene, and the film was toned blue, while the masses were tinted pink/red through dye transfer.
J. Theakston
Capitol Theatre, Rome, NY
"You get more out of life when you go out to a movie!"

Brianruns10

PostThu Jan 13, 2011 1:21 pm

Which is certainly noteworthy too. But instead, they sidestep the uniqueness of this clip, and just say it's tinted.

Michael O'Regan

PostThu Jan 13, 2011 1:52 pm

WOW!!!!

Are those an exact replica of the actual tablets??

Jack Theakston

PostThu Jan 13, 2011 2:05 pm

Shipping on that must be a beast.
J. Theakston
Capitol Theatre, Rome, NY
"You get more out of life when you go out to a movie!"

Paul Penna

PostThu Jan 13, 2011 2:36 pm

I only want it if the letters are flammable.

Arndt

PostThu Jan 13, 2011 2:59 pm

That must be the Ned Flanders edition.
MELIOR

Kelly

PostThu Jan 13, 2011 4:34 pm

Sweeettttt

Michael O'Regan

PostThu Jan 13, 2011 4:56 pm

Arndt wrote:That must be the Ned Flanders edition.

:lol:

colbyco82

PostThu Jan 13, 2011 10:17 pm

I saw the artwork for the regular blu-ray edition and I must say it's pretty tacky to my eyes.

CoffeeDan

PostFri Jan 14, 2011 3:07 am

Oh great, another unshelvable box set with no real improvements . . .

Shaynes3

PostFri Jan 14, 2011 8:58 am

Gagman 66 wrote::o There is breaking news that the 1923 version of Cecil B. De Mille's THE TEN COMMANDMENTS will be included in the Blu-ray book release of the 1956 film. However, it sounds like the same old, same old, Monochrome print from Paramount as 2006 DVD release, and before that 1985 VHS. Not the 2004 George Eastman House Restoration that reinstated all the original Tint's and Tones, as we see clips appear in the recent De Mille Documentary from Photoplay and TCM AMERICAN EPIC. So somewhat disappointing. At least the movie is not being left out though.

I'm not sure where you saw the info, but where I spotted it (The Digital Bits web site), it was unclear to me if the 1923 version was an actual Blu-ray disc or the old DVD master from the earlier release. The big set is described as a Blu-ray/DVD package and since the silent version is probably considered a bonus feature (and those are oft-times in Standard Def) there may actually be NO upgrade at all for the silent...

If anyone sees anything more definitive, I'd be interestede in knowing.
Steve Haynes

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostFri Jan 14, 2011 9:06 am

I suspect the same. The '56 no doubt would look great in blu-ray, coming from VistaVision, but you could get the cheaper blu-ray and the previous version of the DVD with the '23 on it for a lot less.
If you truly love film, I think the healthiest thing to do is not read books on the subject. I prefer the glossy film magazines with their big colour photos and gossip columns, or the National Enquirer. Such vulgarity is healthy and safe. —Werner Herzog

Danny Burk

PostFri Jan 14, 2011 9:55 am

I assumed the same too, until reading the actual Paramount press release posted at HTF. It specifically includes this:

"the 1923 silent film The Ten Commandments (also available for the first time on Blu-ray)"

So, provided it's accurate, the silent is indeed on blu-ray.

Gagman 66

PostFri Jan 14, 2011 1:43 pm

Here is a quote from mateo107 on the TCM forums:

"This is about the 6th home video release (VHS, Laser-disc, DVD, special edition DVD, 50th anniversary DVD, Blu-ray) of the same movie, I wish Paramount would give us something new, like Wings."

Another quote from Edgecliff:

"Paramount is very guilty over this. Look at WHITE CHRISTMAS. That title has been issued many, many times and now finally Blu Ray. These titles sell well so that is why the studio reissues over and over again. I read some of the Hepburn titles, incredibly will be again reissued. Paramount owns the rights to THE QUIET MAN and that title has been ignored too."
Last edited by Gagman 66 on Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostFri Jan 14, 2011 1:46 pm

If there was a hugely successful remake of Wings to package like this, they would. Too bad they don't own their remake of Beau Geste.
If you truly love film, I think the healthiest thing to do is not read books on the subject. I prefer the glossy film magazines with their big colour photos and gossip columns, or the National Enquirer. Such vulgarity is healthy and safe. —Werner Herzog

Michael O'Regan

PostFri Jan 14, 2011 1:56 pm

Paramount owns the rights to THE QUIET MAN and that title has been ignored too."

Thank God for that!!
:twisted:

azjazzman

PostFri Jan 14, 2011 1:57 pm

Gagman 66 wrote: "Paramount owns the rights to THE QUIET MAN and that title has been ignored too."

There you go again...

THE QUIET MAN has hardly been ignored. It was released on VHS. It was released twice on LaserDisc, one standard edition and one Special Edition. It has been released twice on DVD, once as regular DVD and once as a Collector's Edition DVD.

Gagman 66

PostFri Jan 14, 2011 1:59 pm

Mike,

Before you say WINGS wouldn't make any money it's been rated in the top 25 of TCM Data Base most wanted films not yet on DVD before. So has GREED. With respect if you guys get upset with just me, few of you would last very long on the TCM boards. The complaining over there is often off the wall. There is a guy who keeps claiming that TCM routinely Hacks films so they look funny on TV? Have no idea what he is talking about. Another that is repeatedly asking for titles that you know TCM isn't going to, can't show such as THE LAST WARNING and SEVEN FOOTPRINTS OF SATAN. He's been demanding TCM show these two films for three years. and on and on.
Next

Return to Silent News