Lost scenes from 'Metropolis' rediscover

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

knut

  • Posts: 31
  • Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:56 pm
  • Location: Germany

Lost scenes from 'Metropolis' rediscover

PostWed Jul 02, 2008 8:48 am

Staff members of the Museo del Cine Pablo C. Ducros Hicken in Buenos Aires, found the missing scenes which had been considered lost up to now, in a 16mm Negative.


More details about it: http://www.murnau-stiftung.de/en/04-00-00-news.html

Some more Details in German: http://www.zeit.de/online/2008/27/metropolis-vorab
If you scroll down, you find a little gray box, there is a link Eine Bildergalerie » (=Picture galerie). It does not work actual, but perhaps you have more success to see pictures.
Offline
User avatar

Harlett O'Dowd

  • Posts: 2092
  • Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:57 am

Re: Lost scenes from 'Metropolis' rediscover

PostWed Jul 02, 2008 10:59 am

knut wrote:
Staff members of the Museo del Cine Pablo C. Ducros Hicken in Buenos Aires, found the missing scenes which had been considered lost up to now, in a 16mm Negative.


More details about it: http://www.murnau-stiftung.de/en/04-00-00-news.html

Some more Details in German: http://www.zeit.de/online/2008/27/metropolis-vorab
If you scroll down, you find a little gray box, there is a link Eine Bildergalerie » (=Picture galerie). It does not work actual, but perhaps you have more success to see pictures.



hopefully, here are the photos:

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
Offline
User avatar

Harlett O'Dowd

  • Posts: 2092
  • Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:57 am

Re: Lost scenes from 'Metropolis' rediscover

PostWed Jul 02, 2008 11:01 am

knut wrote:
Staff members of the Museo del Cine Pablo C. Ducros Hicken in Buenos Aires, found the missing scenes which had been considered lost up to now, in a 16mm Negative.


More details about it: http://www.murnau-stiftung.de/en/04-00-00-news.html

Some more Details in German: http://www.zeit.de/online/2008/27/metropolis-vorab
If you scroll down, you find a little gray box, there is a link Eine Bildergalerie » (=Picture galerie). It does not work actual, but perhaps you have more success to see pictures.


mighty grainy stuff. Looks like the folks at Murnau have some digital work ahead of them, but this is exciting news indeed. And how complete is complete in this case?
Offline

rollot24

  • Posts: 806
  • Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:16 pm
  • Location: Bellevue WA

Re: Lost scenes from 'Metropolis' rediscover

PostWed Jul 02, 2008 12:42 pm

Harlett O'Dowd wrote: Looks like the folks at Murnau have some digital work ahead of them,


Based on the restoration feature of the KINO DVD all I can say is "They did it before and they can do it again."

Anyone else booking flights for the 2010 Nibelungen restoration?
Offline
User avatar

Harlett O'Dowd

  • Posts: 2092
  • Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:57 am

Re: Lost scenes from 'Metropolis' rediscover

PostWed Jul 02, 2008 12:44 pm

rollot24 wrote:
Harlett O'Dowd wrote: Looks like the folks at Murnau have some digital work ahead of them,


Based on the restoration feature of the KINO DVD all I can say is "They did it before and they can do it again."

Anyone else booking flights for the 2010 Nibelungen restoration?



wha wha WHAT?
Offline

rollot24

  • Posts: 806
  • Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:16 pm
  • Location: Bellevue WA

Re: Lost scenes from 'Metropolis' rediscover

PostWed Jul 02, 2008 12:52 pm

Harlett O'Dowd wrote:wha wha WHAT?


It's the last line of the original posting:

"The current extensive restoration project is Fritz Lang’s monumental film “Die Nibelungen” which is planned to premiere with a new musical score at the Berlin Film Festival in 2010."
Offline

WaverBoy

  • Posts: 1627
  • Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:50 am
  • Location: Seattle, WA

PostWed Jul 02, 2008 1:40 pm

Amazing news about METROPOLIS, just saw it on the HomeTheaterForum minutes ago, and posted about it on a.m.s., where it strangely hadn't surfaced yet. YAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!

Re: DIE NIBELUNGEN, wasn't this recently restored and lengthened? Has even MORE footage turned up, or are they just prettying up what they already have?
Offline

Damfino

  • Posts: 98
  • Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:59 pm

Metropolis

PostWed Jul 02, 2008 2:27 pm

This is about the most exciting news ever, picture quality regardless..... Can't wait to hear about the new scenes and how long they actually are. I imagine it'll be a very long time before a 'restoration' is seen!

Die Nibelungen seems to get ever longer & longer. I suppose in 2010 they'll be showing a twelve-hour version.....
Offline
User avatar

LouieD

  • Posts: 1535
  • Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:57 pm

PostWed Jul 02, 2008 2:58 pm

Unbelieveable!! First the "lost" Keaton film and now this???
Offline
User avatar

Darren Nemeth

  • Posts: 1212
  • Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:58 am
  • Location: Waterford Township, Michigan

PostWed Jul 02, 2008 6:52 pm

LouieD wrote:Unbelieveable!! First the "lost" Keaton film and now this???

What film is it? I've never heard about this. :)
Offline
User avatar

Darren Nemeth

  • Posts: 1212
  • Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:58 am
  • Location: Waterford Township, Michigan

Re: Lost scenes from 'Metropolis' rediscover

PostWed Jul 02, 2008 7:38 pm

Harlett O'Dowd wrote:mighty grainy stuff. Looks like the folks at Murnau have some digital work ahead of them, but this is exciting news indeed. And how complete is complete in this case?


It is the complete film.
Offline
User avatar

LouieD

  • Posts: 1535
  • Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:57 pm

PostWed Jul 02, 2008 8:07 pm

Darren Nemeth wrote:
LouieD wrote:Unbelieveable!! First the "lost" Keaton film and now this???

What film is it? I've never heard about this. :)


I know but I can't tell. I have been sworn to secrecy.
Offline
User avatar

radiotelefonia

  • Posts: 2152
  • Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:00 pm

PostThu Jul 03, 2008 12:12 pm

By a fortunate accident, I'm in Buenos Aires.

If you read English language news report you will find incomplete information.

The film is going to be exhibited in more than an hour from now and I'm about to leave to see it. :lol:
Offline
User avatar

Darren Nemeth

  • Posts: 1212
  • Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:58 am
  • Location: Waterford Township, Michigan

PostThu Jul 03, 2008 12:35 pm

radiotelefonia wrote:By a fortunate accident, I'm in Buenos Aires.

If you read English language news report you will find incomplete information.

The film is going to be exhibited in more than an hour from now and I'm about to leave to see it. :lol:


Please post what you saw in detail! :)
Offline

rollot24

  • Posts: 806
  • Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:16 pm
  • Location: Bellevue WA

PostThu Jul 03, 2008 1:13 pm

Yes, please do post the details!

Now don't get me wrong, I like METROPOLIS as much as the next person. I saw the last restoration at least a year before KINO released it and I was first in line to buy the DVD, but I've noticed that the more the film is returned to it's orginal length the sillier the plot gets.
I'm wondering if the latest discovery will make even sillier or clear up some things. Or both.
Offline
User avatar

Darren Nemeth

  • Posts: 1212
  • Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:58 am
  • Location: Waterford Township, Michigan

PostThu Jul 03, 2008 4:02 pm

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/37332

here is even more frame images.
Image
Offline
User avatar

radiotelefonia

  • Posts: 2152
  • Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:00 pm

PostThu Jul 03, 2008 4:54 pm

Darren Nemeth wrote:
radiotelefonia wrote:By a fortunate accident, I'm in Buenos Aires.

If you read English language news report you will find incomplete information.

The film is going to be exhibited in more than an hour from now and I'm about to leave to see it. :lol:


Please post what you saw in detail! :)


I just came from the exhibition an hour ago, and except for my wife and one or two other people, who spoke spoke English, everybody in that auditorium spoke Spanish.

In total there are 23 minutes of the film that were recovered. You will see everything on video shortly because there were a lot of cameras (video and photo) everywhere.

There are bits here and there (you can say, this take is in the actual print, this one is not), but the exhibition consisted of only 4 sequences.

The first sequence is the one in which the worker with whom Frederer exchanges clothes gets into his car and gets lost in Yoshiwara, the street of sin.

The second one is brief and it shows a newspaper stand in which also appears the guy who have to follow Frederer on orders from his father.

The third one is the one in which the false Maria is introduced in Yoshiwara. Along with alternate takes and the appearance of a preacher just before the introduction of the seven capital sins. This scene features titles in Spanish (like the entire print) reportedly written by director Leopoldo Torres Ríos, and Paula Félix-Didier (of the Museo del Cine Pablo Ducrós Hicken) said that he gave a tango lyric kind of feel to them.

The last sequence was the longest: it includes the complete scenes of Frederer meeting with the real Maria and trying to rescue the children, including takes that are present in the actual prints plus others that are not. You can see more of the drowning, the actual ceiling of Metropolis where the water enters, intertitles in Spanish, and the children locked on bars trying to escape the flood until Frederer manage to release it and the kids began to escape.

It was really a miracle to be in that audience that featured almost only journalists!!!!!

The copyright of the film belongs to the F-W-Murnau-Stitfung and for that reason now German and the Buenos Aires city will have to negotiate a purchase of a copy the print, since they are not going to sell it.

The reason why this film survived is because the film was released by a company called "Cinematográfica Terra", owned by Adolfo Wilson, that brought to Argentina the complete version of the film, and not the edited version distributed by Paramount in the United States. The intertitles are all in Spanish and reportedly they were translated or adapted by Leopoldo Torres Ríos in a tango mood (he was also a lyricist).

A print of the film was purchased by film historian and critic Manuel Peña Rodríguez and, in the seventies, the 35mm nitrate print was reduced to 16mm for preservation in the seventies after bein purchased, along with the entire Peña Rodríguez collection by a State institution. In 1992, the collection was donated to the Museo del Cine Pablo Ducrós Hicken, and for years they tried in vain to have people in Germany to know about this version. They didn't care until film historian and collector Fernando Martín Peña, called Luciano Berratúa in Spain after looking for his phone in a guide. He did see the images and he himself contacted Ennos Patalas who finally gave the OK.

Argentina have a long tradition of Cine Clubs that goes back to 1929. So... I guess many people will have to learn Spanish.
Offline

Peter Kalm

  • Posts: 155
  • Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:32 pm
  • Location: Ontario, Canada

PostThu Jul 03, 2008 10:49 pm

This is really exciting news. Metropolis is a great film, I just saw it a while ago on TCM. I wonder what else may be hiding in Argentina?
Offline
User avatar

Zool

  • Posts: 135
  • Joined: Sat May 24, 2008 5:20 pm
  • Location: It took a day to build this city

PostThu Jul 03, 2008 11:38 pm

I am SO happy about this!
Offline

WaverBoy

  • Posts: 1627
  • Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:50 am
  • Location: Seattle, WA

PostFri Jul 04, 2008 12:07 am

Apparently the scene with the monk in the cathedral is still missing:

http://www.criterionforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4462&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=25#top
Offline
User avatar

Harlett O'Dowd

  • Posts: 2092
  • Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:57 am

PostFri Jul 04, 2008 8:58 am

WaverBoy wrote:Apparently the scene with the monk in the cathedral is still missing:

http://www.criterionforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4462&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=25#top


and it sounds as if most/all of the Hel subplot is still missing. But still, this is great news!
Offline
User avatar

Darren Nemeth

  • Posts: 1212
  • Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:58 am
  • Location: Waterford Township, Michigan

PostFri Jul 04, 2008 9:10 am

Harlett O'Dowd wrote:and it sounds as if most/all of the Hel subplot is still missing. But still, this is great news!


Oh, Hel! :x




:wink:

I've got an old 1933 9.5mm catalog found on eBay UK and "Metropolis" is in it. 5 reel version (equal to five 1,000 reels on 35mm) with notched titles.

Do any of these 9.5mm prints contain different angles or missing shots not seen in other prints?
Offline
User avatar

Arndt

  • Posts: 1201
  • Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:02 pm
  • Location: Germany

PostFri Jul 04, 2008 10:55 am

rollot24 wrote:Now don't get me wrong, I like METROPOLIS as much as the next person. I saw the last restoration at least a year before KINO released it and I was first in line to buy the DVD, but I've noticed that the more the film is returned to it's orginal length the sillier the plot gets.


I agree entirely. I cannot get really excited about the rediscovered scenes, either. I fear we have seen all that is great about METROPOLIS. Lang made a visually stunning and unique film from his wife's convoluted script. No number of new scenes will be able to make sense of the garbled plot or remedy the narrative weaknesses. The merit of this film is in the sets, the cinematography and the sheer daring of its scale and I don't think any scenes that display these qualities ever ended up on the cutting room floor.
The only thing I look forward to in the upcoming "complete" version is the increased screentime for Brigitte Helm and Fritz Rasp.
"The greatest cinematic experience is the human face and it seems to me that silent films can teach us to read it anew." - Wim Wenders
Offline
User avatar

radiotelefonia

  • Posts: 2152
  • Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:00 pm

PostFri Jul 04, 2008 4:41 pm

Arndt wrote:
rollot24 wrote:Now don't get me wrong, I like METROPOLIS as much as the next person. I saw the last restoration at least a year before KINO released it and I was first in line to buy the DVD, but I've noticed that the more the film is returned to it's orginal length the sillier the plot gets.


I agree entirely. I cannot get really excited about the rediscovered scenes, either. I fear we have seen all that is great about METROPOLIS. Lang made a visually stunning and unique film from his wife's convoluted script. No number of new scenes will be able to make sense of the garbled plot or remedy the narrative weaknesses. The merit of this film is in the sets, the cinematography and the sheer daring of its scale and I don't think any scenes that display these qualities ever ended up on the cutting room floor.
The only thing I look forward to in the upcoming "complete" version is the increased screentime for Brigitte Helm and Fritz Rasp.


I totally disagree with the obvious ignorance exhibited here... which is the same one that allow the print to be dormant in shelf. The scenes does improve everything and does make the story more comprehensible.

You better get excited without complains. This is major news.
Offline
User avatar

FrankFay

  • Posts: 3227
  • Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:48 am
  • Location: Albany NY

PostFri Jul 04, 2008 7:17 pm

And lets not forget: before this happened the big news was the rediscovery of Bardleys the Magnificent! I'm still waiting for that one.
Eric Stott
Offline

Jay Salsberg

  • Posts: 247
  • Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:20 pm
  • Location: Whitesboro, NY

PostFri Jul 04, 2008 8:04 pm

From the photos posted (the big stone face behind the curtains), the Hel subplot is included.

According to what has been posted on other groups (from people who have seen the print), there is still about 5 minutes of footage missing, due to nitrate deterioration of the 35mm before it was copied (which would mean this print contains about 30 minutes of newly discovered scenes).
Offline
User avatar

radiotelefonia

  • Posts: 2152
  • Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:00 pm

PostFri Jul 04, 2008 11:46 pm

Forget all the groups that are all out there... I saw the print myself, and nobody of those people were in the audience.

Instead of relaying in those gentlemen... watch the images recorded by several television cameras present there and the photographs that were taken.
Offline
User avatar

Darren Nemeth

  • Posts: 1212
  • Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:58 am
  • Location: Waterford Township, Michigan

PostFri Jul 04, 2008 11:59 pm

FrankFay wrote:And lets not forget: before this happened the big news was the rediscovery of Bardleys the Magnificent! I'm still waiting for that one.


Some of the big discoveries in the past few years have been
BEYOND THE ROCKS
the lavendars for KING KONG
BARDLEYS
the new Jean Harlowe footage
the supposed Dracula negatives
the new METROPOLIS footage

Is there any I didn't list?
Offline
User avatar

Rodney

  • Posts: 2342
  • Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:09 am
  • Location: Louisville, Colorado

PostSat Jul 05, 2008 7:03 am

Darren Nemeth wrote:
FrankFay wrote:And lets not forget: before this happened the big news was the rediscovery of Bardleys the Magnificent! I'm still waiting for that one.


Some of the big discoveries in the past few years have been
BEYOND THE ROCKS
the lavendars for KING KONG
BARDLEYS
the new Jean Harlowe footage
the supposed Dracula negatives
the new METROPOLIS footage

Is there any I didn't list?


The second half of A MODERN MUSKETEER (which was discovered back in 1998 but first seen in the U.S. last September at the Iola Keaton Celebration). Then there's the mysterious alternate cut of a "significant silent Keaton Feature" that is promised for the Muskegon Festival this year.

And although they were never lost films, there were notable 35mm reprints of the extremely-hard-to-find-but-excellent-films BEGGARS OF LIFE and CHICAGO.
Rodney Sauer
The Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
"Let the Music do the Talking!"
Offline
User avatar

Harlett O'Dowd

  • Posts: 2092
  • Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:57 am

PostSat Jul 05, 2008 8:24 am

Rodney wrote:
Darren Nemeth wrote:
FrankFay wrote:And lets not forget: before this happened the big news was the rediscovery of Bardleys the Magnificent! I'm still waiting for that one.


Some of the big discoveries in the past few years have been
BEYOND THE ROCKS
the lavendars for KING KONG
BARDLEYS
the new Jean Harlowe footage
the supposed Dracula negatives
the new METROPOLIS footage

Is there any I didn't list?


The second half of A MODERN MUSKETEER (which was discovered back in 1998 but first seen in the U.S. last September at the Iola Keaton Celebration). Then there's the mysterious alternate cut of a "significant silent Keaton Feature" that is promised for the Muskegon Festival this year.

And although they were never lost films, there were notable 35mm reprints of the extremely-hard-to-find-but-excellent-films BEGGARS OF LIFE and CHICAGO.


and, while not silent, the new footage for A Night at the Opera and Baby Face
Next

Return to Silent News

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: countryslicker and 8 guests