The full Napoleon to be screened in the US at last.....

Announcements of upcoming theatrical silent film exhibitions.
  • Author

Penfold

The full Napoleon to be screened in the US at last.....

PostThu Jul 14, 2011 3:48 pm

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/431288/Napoleon-Trailer-San-Francisco-Silent-Film-Festival.html

Four dates next March/April, in San Francisco; the full length 'European' restoration achieved by Kevin Brownlow, with Carl Davis conducting his own score.
I'm seriously considering making the trip; so are a few European-based film buffs. If you only saw the Coppola-scored shorter version, this is a different animal....
I could use some digital restoration myself...

silentfilm

PostThu Jul 14, 2011 3:56 pm

rudyfan

Re: The full Napoleon to be screened in the US at last.....

PostThu Jul 14, 2011 4:28 pm

Penfold wrote: I'm seriously considering making the trip; so are a few European-based film buffs. If you only saw the Coppola-scored shorter version, this is a different animal....

OMG! I will be obliged to stand you for a beer or cocktail, my friend! :D

boblipton

PostThu Jul 14, 2011 5:16 pm

Luke Mckiernan covers this in today's BIOSCOPE

http://bioscopic.wordpress.com/2011/07/ ... n-the-usa/

Bob
“Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility.” — James Thurber

ColemanShedman

PostThu Jul 14, 2011 5:23 pm

Would it be too much to hope for a blu ray release?

thomas_gladysz

PostFri Jul 15, 2011 12:09 am

During the announcement, the large crowd at the Castro Theater broke out into rapturous applause. I felt there was excitement in the air - I am sure others must have felt this way was as well.

Leonard Maltin posted a column about it at http://blogs.indiewire.com/leonardmalti ... .s._again/

And more at http://www.examiner.com/silent-movie-in ... nd-oakland
For the latest, check out the LOUISE BROOKS SOCIETY blog
http://louisebrookssociety.blogspot.com/

Penfold

PostFri Jul 15, 2011 1:56 am

rudyfan wrote:
Penfold wrote: I'm seriously considering making the trip; so are a few European-based film buffs. If you only saw the Coppola-scored shorter version, this is a different animal....

OMG! I will be obliged to stand you for a beer or cocktail, my friend! :D

You're on !! I may also need hotel advice......but first I must check out flight costs, and take it from there....

JohnArmer

PostFri Jul 15, 2011 8:59 am

The gamble, for us living in the UK/ Europe, is whether it will play in London and other European cities. Now that the 'rights issues' seemed to have be solved, I would hope that it would show in London - at the South Bank. I asked the question but don't expect a response... there should be a big announcement!

So should I pay to go to the US, or not and wait and hope it shows this side of the Atlantic. Still, a break in SF would be nice.
Last edited by JohnArmer on Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Battra92

PostFri Jul 15, 2011 9:23 am

ColemanShedman wrote:Would it be too much to hope for a blu ray release?

Possibly but then, who knows? I'd pay $40 for this on Blu, easily! Where do I sign up?

ColemanShedman

PostFri Jul 15, 2011 9:27 am

I'd go $60 for this one.

silentfilm

PostFri Jul 15, 2011 9:53 pm

rudyfan

PostSat Jul 16, 2011 10:11 am

Just ordered my tickets for 3/31/12! I wanted to go to more than one, but the pair I just bought were spendy (front balcony, last row of first section)

Okay, who else is coming?

McCrutchy

PostSun Jul 17, 2011 5:58 pm

I'm going to try to get a flight/hotel and go. I'll have to return all my Criterion sale Blu-rays and not buy anymore discs until the screening, but something tells me this will be worth it.

rudyfan

PostSun Jul 17, 2011 7:58 pm

Kevin announced today, just FYI, Napoleon will not be available on DVD or blu-ray
Last edited by rudyfan on Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lzcutter

Napoleon

PostSun Jul 17, 2011 8:32 pm

Marco, Paula and I have tixs for March 24th. We found an affordable row in the orchestra section!

Gagman 66

PostSun Jul 17, 2011 10:17 pm

Hey, don't forget THE BIG PARADE screening tomorrow with Kevin at AMPAS. Hope some of you can make it. This will be the restored version we have long been waiting on.

rudyfan

Re: Napoleon

PostMon Jul 18, 2011 3:24 pm

Lzcutter wrote:Marco, Paula and I have tixs for March 24th. We found an affordable row in the orchestra section!

Great! Alas, I won't see you then, I'm going on the 31st. It's nice to read here and on FB all the peeps that are planning on going. Party!

Gary Newman

PostMon Jul 18, 2011 4:52 pm

Anyone heard if/when its headed for New York?

rudyfan

PostMon Jul 18, 2011 5:03 pm

Gary Newman wrote:Anyone heard if/when its headed for New York?

No plans to screen anywhere else in the USA. This from the horse's mouth - all the press releases.

ChaneyFan

PostTue Jul 19, 2011 11:15 am

Great news for those that can make the trip, or live close enough. For the rest of us, I guess it's tough titty. And no DVD/Blu-ray either. So, basically, this is a giant tease for the vast majority of us.

rudyfan

PostTue Jul 19, 2011 11:38 am

ChaneyFan wrote:Great news for those that can make the trip, or live close enough. For the rest of us, I guess it's tough titty. And no DVD/Blu-ray either. So, basically, this is a giant tease for the vast majority of us.

Well, all that being said, the event is 8 months away. There are inexpensive hotels in and around the SF Bay Area and cheap flights can be had from Virgin or Jet Blue to both SFO and Oakland.

I understand and appreciate, I am fortunate to be a local yokel. This is really worth biting the bullet and saving one's pennies for the trip.

rollot24

PostWed Jul 20, 2011 12:48 pm

I took the post card they passed out at SFSFF and stuck it prominently in my work cubicle. (for those who haven't seen it, it's a close up of Napoleon starring at you). I pointed to it and asked my boss "Do you know who that is?" and she replied "Johnny Depp?"

Hmmm

McCrutchy

PostWed Jul 20, 2011 4:18 pm

I'm going. I got seats in the orchestra for the 31st AND the 1st. Now I just have to find a good flight/hotel deal!

I'm really hoping this doesn't show up in NYC anytime within the next 5+ years. This will be a HUGE expenditure for me, and I want it to be worth it. As much as seeing Oakland/The Paramount is a bonus, it would cost me a LOT less to see this if it were in New York, so I hope I'm not blowing hundreds of dollars here...

Penfold

PostWed Jul 20, 2011 4:40 pm

Having weighed up the time/expenditure/opportunity equation, weighed against the likelihood of it being shown in Europe any time soon, bearing in mind the arts funding crisis here, let alone with Kevin and Sir Carl, let alone in a venue like Oakland.......
.......I'll be seeing you on the 31st. And the 1st (well, I was in the city.....)......and as they say, you can't take it with you.

Donna; hotel advice ???? And what else is there in SF that I can do on the Friday ???

Frederica

PostWed Jul 20, 2011 4:53 pm

Penfold wrote:Having weighed up the time/expenditure/opportunity equation, weighed against the likelihood of it being shown in Europe any time soon, bearing in mind the arts funding crisis here, let alone with Kevin and Sir Carl, let alone in a venue like Oakland.......
.......I'll be seeing you on the 31st. And the 1st (well, I was in the city.....)......and as they say, you can't take it with you.

Donna; hotel advice ???? And what else is there in SF that I can do on the Friday ???

I'm staying at the St. Francis...where else? There's also the Mark Hopkins, the Fairmont, or the Palace. They are the best known hotels in SF with loads o'history attached to them. Not cheap! Do you want cheap? Describe budget, please.

There is almost nothing you can't do in San Francisco on a Friday night.
Fred
"She jerked away from me like a startled fawn might, if I had a startled fawn and it jerked away from me."
Raymond Chandler, The Little Sister
http://www.nitanaldi.com
http://www.facebook.com/NitaNaldiSilentVamp

rudyfan

PostWed Jul 20, 2011 5:24 pm

Penfold wrote:Having weighed up the time/expenditure/opportunity equation, weighed against the likelihood of it being shown in Europe any time soon, bearing in mind the arts funding crisis here, let alone with Kevin and Sir Carl, let alone in a venue like Oakland.......

SQUEEEEEEE!

Yes, please let us know (Fred & Me) by PM of FB messaging the budget you are looking at for a hotel. Is it you alone or you and other peeps? After all, with two screenings of Napoleon, you're not going to be there much except to sleep.

As for San Francisco on a Friday, well, with many DoNs in residence, I'm sure we can arrange for a swanky dinner and a nice long visit! Besides, I owe this man a beer!

May I reiterate, SQUEEEEEEE, Penfold is coming to SF Bay!

McCrutchy

PostWed Jul 20, 2011 10:38 pm

I keep watching the trailer over and over...I wonder if the applause at the end is the applause from the announcement?

greta de groat

PostWed Jul 20, 2011 10:51 pm

And FYI for out-of-towners. The Paramount Theatre is one block from the 19th street BART station, so if you plan to be carless, locating a hotel near a BART station anywhere in the system will be helpful. San Francisco does have budget hotels, and as long as you can get to BART you should be fine. Oakland should have lots of budget hotels but they are not necessarily in the best neighborhoods. There is a nice Marriott near the 12th Street BART in Oakland if you aren't on a budget.

Ray and I are on for the 31st as well. We're veterans of the last screening at the San Francisco Opera House. Can't wait!

greta
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat

missdupont

PostThu Jul 21, 2011 1:03 am

The hotels that offered special deals for the San Francisco Silent film Festival like the Rex, etc., look great from the pictures and are cheaper than the grand hotels. Check out the SFSFF site to see them.

missdupont

PostThu Jul 21, 2011 8:27 am

The Academy showed the trailer last night before the screening of THE GENERAL, plugging next year's performance.
Next

Return to Silent Screenings