1980s film you keep returning to

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author

sepiatone

1980s film you keep returning to

PostSat Nov 19, 2011 8:24 pm

that you love to watch over and over again , can't get enough of?

Native Baltimoron

Re: 1980s film you keep returning to

PostSat Nov 19, 2011 9:34 pm

It seems that "Trading Places" is becoming more of a Christmas movie. Look for it in the listings now around Thanksgiving. Jamie Lee never looked cuter, Eddie Murphy was truly Billy Ray Valentine, Ackroyd did well with a character that wasn't named Ellwood, and Ameche, Bellamy, and Denholm Eliot were marvelous.
Native Baltimoron
"You too, Uncle Fudd" William Phipps to Bert Mustin in "The FBI Story"

LouieD

PostSun Nov 20, 2011 1:04 am

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many. You need me to make a list?

Richard M Roberts

PostSun Nov 20, 2011 1:40 am

I avoided most of them when they were new, why would I return to them now?

RICHARD M ROBERTS (Who'll also happily admit that the few movies from the last decade he saw were mainly on airplanes)

Christopher Jacobs

PostSun Nov 20, 2011 2:18 am

Two words : BLUE VELVET

And the beautiful-looking new 25th anniversary Blu-ray that came out this month now includes a bonus feature of 51 minutes of previously lost scenes (also in HD!) that had been deleted shortly before the theatrical release, disappeared when DeLaurentiis Entertainment Group assets were sold off, and were just rediscovered about a year ago!

"It's a strange world."

Frederica

PostSun Nov 20, 2011 2:39 am

REAL GENIUS.
Fred
"She jerked away from me like a startled fawn might, if I had a startled fawn and it jerked away from me."
Raymond Chandler, The Little Sister
http://www.nitanaldi.com
http://www.facebook.com/NitaNaldiSilentVamp

Joe Migliore

PostSun Nov 20, 2011 3:59 am

I nominate Monty Python's last theatrical feature, THE MEANING OF LIFE. There isn't another film like it.

Richard M Roberts

PostSun Nov 20, 2011 4:02 am

Joe Migliore wrote:I nominate Monty Python's last theatrical feature, THE MEANING OF LIFE. There isn't another film like it.

There you have one worth saving. And a number of good Woody Allens: ZELIG, BROADWAY DANNY ROSE, HANNAH AND HER SISTERS, RADIO DAYS. I didn't give up on Woody Allen until around 2001. And an Albert Brooks or two: MODERN ROMANCE, LOST IN AMERICA. Boy, that pretty much wraps it up.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Kevin2

PostSun Nov 20, 2011 7:21 am

This Is Spinal Tap
Blade Runner
A Fish Called Wanda
Videodrome
Brazil
Say Anything
Scarface
The Shining

Richard M Roberts

PostSun Nov 20, 2011 7:47 am

Kevin2 wrote:This Is Spinal Tap
Blade Runner
A Fish Called Wanda
Videodrome
Brazil
Say Anything
Scarface
The Shining

I'll give you SPINAL TAP, BRAZIL, and A FISH CALLED WANDA, the rest can be converted to nitrate.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Jim Roots

PostSun Nov 20, 2011 8:24 am

Richard M Roberts wrote:And an Albert Brooks or two: MODERN ROMANCE, LOST IN AMERICA. Boy, that pretty much wraps it up.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

How come there's never been an Albert Brooks box set? I've never seen any of his films and I would probably jump on a box set (assuming the price wasn't outrageous, of course).

Jim

OLM

PostSun Nov 20, 2011 8:33 am

SIXTEEN CANDLES

donwc1996

PostSun Nov 20, 2011 9:14 am

I have returned to:
The Big Chill
Cocoon
Hannah and Her Sisters
Passage to India
An Officer and a Gentleman

LouieD

Kevin2

PostSun Nov 20, 2011 9:51 am

Richard M Roberts wrote:
Blade Runner
A Fish Called Wanda
Videodrome
Brazil
Say Anything
Scarface
The Shining

I'll give you SPINAL TAP, BRAZIL, and A FISH CALLED WANDA, the rest can be converted to nitrate.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

I very much appreciate you "giving" me those three. As for turning to nitrate, please include the Weiss Brother "comedies", too.

Jim Reid

PostSun Nov 20, 2011 10:09 am

Jim Roots wrote:How come there's never been an Albert Brooks box set? I've never seen any of his films and I would probably jump on a box set (assuming the price wasn't outrageous, of course).

Not likely since he's moved from studio to studio. Real Life for Paramount, Modern Romance for Columbia, Lost in America & Defending Your Life at Warners and back to Paramount for Mother. They are all available as single DVDs and well worth getting.

Richard M Roberts

PostSun Nov 20, 2011 3:08 pm

Kevin2 wrote:
Richard M Roberts wrote:
Blade Runner
A Fish Called Wanda
Videodrome
Brazil
Say Anything
Scarface
The Shining

RICHARD M ROBERTS

I very much appreciate you "giving" me those three. As for turning to nitrate, please include the Weiss Brother "comedies", too.

I'll watch Weiss brother Comedies a million times before I waste another second on any crap Brian DePalma has ever made (except perhaps PHANTOM OF THE PARADISE).

And who knew Stanley Kubrick couldn't conquer a Stephen King book?

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Einar the Lonely

PostSun Nov 20, 2011 5:26 pm

BLUE VELVET
NEAR DARK
AMADEUS
A ZED AND TWO NOUGHTS
FULL METAL JACKET
GOODFELLAS
RAGING BULL
ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA
Kaum hatte Hutter die Brücke überschritten, da ergriffen ihn die unheimlichen Gesichte, von denen er mir oft erzählt hat.

http://gimlihospital.wordpress.com/

Richard M Roberts

PostSun Nov 20, 2011 9:13 pm

Einar the Lonely wrote:BLUE VELVET
NEAR DARK
AMADEUS
A ZED AND TWO NOUGHTS
FULL METAL JACKET
GOODFELLAS
RAGING BULL

All Crap, especially the film version of AMADEUS, which turned a terrific and intense play in to an overlong, dithering mess.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Mike Gebert

Site Admin

PostSun Nov 20, 2011 10:34 pm

I think it was Frederic Raphael who said that all of Kubrick's films are about the Holocaust. (That is, they're about how we, as a species, could have done such a thing.) I saw The Shining again for the first time in decades, literally, with that in mind, and was wowed anew by its portrait of a small man being dragged into evil by the desire to please an institution by performing any evil it asked of him, and by its picture of cycles of family dysfunction (although half this site is kind of crazy, half of it makes a compelling case that The Shining is about child abuse being perpetuated generation after generation). In any case, a deep, richly disturbing film that puts critics to shame for how little they understood what it was about at the time, and thought Kubrick was just slumming with a spook story. Indeed, it seems to me along with Ran one of the very few films of that decade that could be called a masterpiece. Well, and Real Genius. If you're male and dreamed of meeting a real-life one of Michelle Meyrink's character, or if you're female and identified with her, come and sit by me.

On the other hand, Richard will get little argument from me on DePalma, who can manage the odd bravura sequence, but can also botch it by dragging it out too much on many occasions, and in general, feh.

That's pretty much all I remember about movies of the 80s. Well, okay, this scene is a masterpiece too:

If you truly love film, I think the healthiest thing to do is not read books on the subject. I prefer the glossy film magazines with their big colour photos and gossip columns, or the National Enquirer. Such vulgarity is healthy and safe. —Werner Herzog

TheIngenue

PostSun Nov 20, 2011 10:55 pm

NAUSICAA OF THE VALLEY OF WIND. For all its flaws, I connect to it personally in so many ways.
"A day without laughter is a day wasted."
- Charles Chaplin

Richard M Roberts

PostSun Nov 20, 2011 11:43 pm

I think it was Frederic Raphael who said that all of Kubrick's films are about the Holocaust. (That is, they're about how we, as a species, could have done such a thing.)

Okay, lets hear you fit LOLITA into this theory.

I saw The Shining again for the first time in decades, literally, with that in mind, and was wowed anew by its portrait of a small man being dragged into evil by the desire to please an institution by performing any evil it asked of him, and by its picture of cycles of family dysfunction

and 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY.

(although half this site is kind of crazy, half of it makes a compelling case that The Shining is about child abuse being perpetuated generation after generation). In any case, a deep, richly disturbing film that puts critics to shame for how little they understood what it was about at the time, and thought Kubrick was just slumming with a spook story

THE SHINING was a great spook story that Kubrick completely botched, either by not getting what was there in Kings book, or wanting to tell some other story while pretending to make that one. It's a complete failure by Director who had been losing touch with his audience and filmaking in general for some time. (Realize that I think Kubricks last great movie is DR STRANGELOVE). The only thing that was brilliant about THE SHINING was the trailer, and all the critical gobbledygook in the World won't change that.

Yeah, Kubrick made movies about the evil that men do, and there's a lot more of that around than just the Holocaust, as evil as that was. Also didn't mean that Kubricks examination of it was always interesting.

Indeed, it seems to me along with Ran one of the very few films of that decade that could be called a masterpiece

Agree with RAN.

Well, and Real Genius. If you're male and dreamed of meeting a real-life one of Michelle Meyrink's character, or if you're female and identified with her, come and sit by me.

You lost me there, but all the nauseating teen flicks from the 80's lost me when they came out.

On the other hand, Richard will get little argument from me on DePalma, who can manage the odd bravura sequence, but can also botch it by dragging it out too much on many occasions, and in general, feh.

If I want to see Hitchcock movies, I watch Hitchcock movies, not warmed over bad imitation. All DePalma had to offer besides that was mean-spiritedness and misogony, frequently with Al Pacino or Robert DeNiro screaming at athe top of their lungs. I though SISTERS was a cute little Hitchcock ripoff when it came out, PHANTOM OF THE PARADISE an okay rock-spoof, and it was all downhill after that.

That's pretty much all I remember about movies of the 80s. Well, okay, this scene is a masterpiece too:

[/quote]

These two brothers were some of the top comedy talent of the last half of the Twentieth Century, and it's a pity that they were so underused, and apparently do not get along well enough to work together much.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

gjohnson

PostMon Nov 21, 2011 12:17 am

I don't think of Brooks as ever being underused, he just marched to his own drummer and worked whenever he had polished a screenplay to his perfection. He seemed to had worked as often as Python did during that decade.

Richard M Roberts

PostMon Nov 21, 2011 1:26 am

gjohnson wrote:I don't think of Brooks as ever being underused, he just marched to his own drummer and worked whenever he had polished a screenplay to his perfection. He seemed to had worked as often as Python did during that decade.

Well, getting financing took a lot of the time away from him as well. Brooks has never had angels like Woody Allen has had over the years, and his films have been just about as successful here as Allens, without the overseas market to keep him afloat like Woody. And now both of them are too dang old and too vain to play old men.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

gjohnson

PostMon Nov 21, 2011 2:08 am

Actually Richard, doesn't it seem like Brooks has been more busy this past decade working as a character actor than he ever did as a singular brilliant comic mind? I've heard that he didn't care to work that often when he was younger because it interfered with his amorous pursuits of the female flesh. Now he seems to appear in anything. I was looking for a mindless action fix a while back when I went to THE DRIVER (2011) with Ryan Gossling and was surprised to find Albert Brooks playing a very sadistic and cold-hearted mobster (....and quite good at it).

Scoundrel

PostMon Nov 21, 2011 6:20 am

REPO MAN

In Louie's perfect world, the Malibu would be driven by El Brendel....

http://eurekavideo.co.uk/moc/catalogue/repo-man/

Also count me in for:

BLADE RUNNER
GOODFELLAS
THE MEANING OF LIFE
BRAZIL
FULL METAL JACKET
THE SHINING
AFTER HOURS
AMADEUS
" You can't take life too seriously...you'll never get out of it alive."

Blackhawk Films customer

Einar the Lonely

PostMon Nov 21, 2011 6:28 am

Richard M Roberts wrote:
Einar the Lonely wrote:BLUE VELVET
NEAR DARK
AMADEUS
A ZED AND TWO NOUGHTS
FULL METAL JACKET
GOODFELLAS
RAGING BULL

All Crap, especially the film version of AMADEUS, which turned a terrific and intense play in to an overlong, dithering mess.

RICHARD M ROBERTS

Well, seems my taste is spoiled by watching all these crappy, boring and overrated Dreyer flicks. :wink:
Kaum hatte Hutter die Brücke überschritten, da ergriffen ihn die unheimlichen Gesichte, von denen er mir oft erzählt hat.

Einar the Lonely

PostMon Nov 21, 2011 6:42 am

Some more that come to my mind:

EXCALIBUR
THE TERMINATOR
AMERICAN GIGOLO
MISHIMA
VIDEODROME

and my All-time-Favourite
TALES FROM THE GIMLI HOSPITAL

josemas

PostMon Nov 21, 2011 6:50 am

THE STUNT MAN

THE RIGHT STUFF

WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT?

Joe Moore

LouieD

PostMon Nov 21, 2011 7:03 am

Scoundrel wrote:REPO MAN

In Louie's perfect world, the Malibu would be driven by El Brendel....

NOPE.
Next

Return to Talking About Talkies