Sono-Art AKA World Wide Pictures Logo

Open, general discussion of classic sound-era films, personalities and history.
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

Lokke Heiss

  • Posts: 608
  • Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:25 pm

Sono-Art AKA World Wide Pictures Logo

PostSun May 20, 2012 1:07 am

Can anyone tell me more about this logo?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cESJynMWD6I" target="_blank"



As Freud might have said, sometimes a cigar is MORE than a cigar.

I can just see the studio bosses looking at this idea and someone arguing for two globes instead of just one. Two are better than one, if they are the right place.

If I wanted a visual shorthand for the pre-Code period, roughly 1927 to 1934, I'd just play them this clip.
"You can't top pigs with pigs."

Walt Disney, responding to someone who asked him why he didn't immediately do a sequel to The Three Little Pigs
Offline
User avatar

FrankFay

  • Posts: 2784
  • Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:48 am
  • Location: Albany NY

Re: Sono-Art AKA World Wide Pictures Logo

PostSun May 20, 2012 2:29 am

Well, the two globes make sense with the "World Wide" designation- they show the east and west hemispheres. Adding the woman does pull the focus a bit. I can imagine the designer saying "Oh God- I didn't mean THAT!"
Eric Stott
Offline

Redbeard

  • Posts: 90
  • Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:12 pm
  • Location: Wisconsin

Re: Sono-Art AKA World Wide Pictures Logo

PostSun May 20, 2012 6:32 am

*facepalm*
That's the breast studio logo I've seen.
*grins, blushes*
Offline

Richard M Roberts

  • Posts: 1385
  • Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:56 pm

Re: Sono-Art AKA World Wide Pictures Logo

PostSun May 20, 2012 7:40 am

FrankFay wrote:Well, the two globes make sense with the "World Wide" designation- they show the east and west hemispheres. Adding the woman does pull the focus a bit. I can imagine the designer saying "Oh God- I didn't mean THAT!"


The logo was designed by Mack Sennett, one of Sono Art-World-Wide's partners, he did indeed mean THAT.

RICHARD M ROBERTS
Offline
User avatar

boblipton

  • Posts: 2849
  • Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:01 pm
  • Location: Here. No, over here. Yes, that's me

Re: Sono-Art AKA World Wide Pictures Logo

PostSun May 20, 2012 11:58 am

Where the launching rocket?


Bob
“Humor is emotional chaos remembered in tranquility.” — James Thurber
Offline

Lokke Heiss

  • Posts: 608
  • Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:25 pm

Re: Sono-Art AKA World Wide Pictures Logo

PostSun May 20, 2012 1:51 pm

Richard, any background information on how this logo came about, and did it have any fall-out? Perspiring minds want to know.
"You can't top pigs with pigs."

Walt Disney, responding to someone who asked him why he didn't immediately do a sequel to The Three Little Pigs
Offline

Richard M Roberts

  • Posts: 1385
  • Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:56 pm

Re: Sono-Art AKA World Wide Pictures Logo

PostSun May 20, 2012 6:37 pm

Lokke Heiss wrote:Richard, any background information on how this logo came about, and did it have any fall-out? Perspiring minds want to know.



Sono-Art-World-Wide-KBS Productions-Tiffany Studios wasn't around long enough to have anything but fallout. This disastrous conglomeration managed to bring down any number of Hollywood producers, from Earle W. Hammon's Educational Pictures(which was basically the distributing arm), to both Mack Sennett and Al Christie,who threw the last of their dwindling fortunes into it to try to become feature producers, and finally the ailing Tiffany Studios as well. It amazingly lasted nearly five years (1928-33), distributing a lot of British International Pictures Product in the States and grinding out a number of B westerns and attempts at A pictures as well, but it did manage to ruin a number of motion picture pioneers.


RICHARD M ROBERTS
Offline
User avatar

momsne

  • Posts: 396
  • Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 10:15 pm

Re: Sono-Art AKA World Wide Pictures Logo

PostSun May 20, 2012 6:45 pm

Had Sono-Art been around now, from its logo it would have been eminently qualified to receive federal stimulus money.
Offline

Redbeard

  • Posts: 90
  • Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:12 pm
  • Location: Wisconsin

Re: Sono-Art AKA World Wide Pictures Logo

PostSun May 20, 2012 7:36 pm

Richard, apart from James Cruze, what other well-known directors worked for Sono Art-World?
Offline
User avatar

mndean

  • Posts: 748
  • Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:04 pm
  • Location: Sacramento, CA

Re: Sono-Art AKA World Wide Pictures Logo

PostSun May 20, 2012 8:03 pm

Redbeard wrote:Richard, apart from James Cruze, what other well-known directors worked for Sono Art-World?


I noticed the rather unfortunate Raymond Cannon (did anyone in that era ever get a bigger buildup and crash quicker as a director?), and Richard Thorpe. If Mr. Roberts doesn't get back to you, I'm doing other research but run across Sono Art-World trade ads a lot and I'll try to make a list of noted directors. Richard will likely have a more authoritative list.
Offline

Richard M Roberts

  • Posts: 1385
  • Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:56 pm

Re: Sono-Art AKA World Wide Pictures Logo

PostSun May 20, 2012 10:00 pm

mndean wrote:
Redbeard wrote:Richard, apart from James Cruze, what other well-known directors worked for Sono Art-World?


I noticed the rather unfortunate Raymond Cannon (did anyone in that era ever get a bigger buildup and crash quicker as a director?), and Richard Thorpe. If Mr. Roberts doesn't get back to you, I'm doing other research but run across Sono Art-World trade ads a lot and I'll try to make a list of noted directors. Richard will likely have a more authoritative list.


Victor Schertzinger, Edwin L. Marin, Erle C. Kenton, Robert Florey, H. Bruce Humberstone, Lowell Sherman, Walter Lang,Irvin Willat, Stuart Paton, Mark Sandrich, and Marshall Neilan all made films for Sono Art, as technically did Alfred Hitchcock (Sono Art was the American distributor for a number of his BIP Silents and BLACKMAIL as well) and E.A. Dupont (ditto for MOULON ROUGE and PICCADILLY), so there were a few illustrious names connected with the company, usually on a one or two-picture basis. And a number of Sono Art's films aren't bad, I like THE CROOKED CIRCLE and STRANGERS OF THE EVENING, and A STUDY IN TERROR, though not very close to the Sherlock Holmes story, is an entertaining picture, as is THE DEATH KISS with Bela Lugosi.


RICHARD M ROBERTS
Offline
User avatar

FrankFay

  • Posts: 2784
  • Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:48 am
  • Location: Albany NY

Re: Sono-Art AKA World Wide Pictures Logo

PostMon May 21, 2012 2:43 am

Young directors on their way up and old directors on their way down.
Eric Stott
Offline

Richard M Roberts

  • Posts: 1385
  • Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:56 pm

Re: Sono-Art AKA World Wide Pictures Logo

PostMon May 21, 2012 3:07 am

FrankFay wrote:Young directors on their way up and old directors on their way down.


A bit unfair I think. There were just some solid professionals like Marin, Schertzinger and Kenton that were just able to freelance. I think it was obvious to all that Sono Art was not a place to stop and build a career.

RICHARD M ROBERTS
Offline
User avatar

FrankFay

  • Posts: 2784
  • Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:48 am
  • Location: Albany NY

Re: Sono-Art AKA World Wide Pictures Logo

PostMon May 21, 2012 6:27 am

True- I was being a bit glib.
Eric Stott
Offline

sethb

  • Posts: 324
  • Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:17 pm
  • Location: The Jersey Shore

Re: Sono-Art AKA World Wide Pictures Logo

PostMon May 21, 2012 1:12 pm

If you folks can take your eyes off that amazing Sono-Art logo for a few moments, I just wanted to note that apparently THE GREAT GABBO (1929) was released by Sono-Art, according to the film's credits, and was directed by James Cruze, who did go on to several bigger and better things. The film is an interesting "early talkie" curiosity, and it's a toss-up as whose acting is more wooden, Erich Von Stroheim or his vetriloquist's dummy.

I also understand that this movie was restored by the LOC (a good thing too, since the existing dupes in circulation are almost unwatchable). The credits also state that the film contains "color sequences," which apparently no longer exist. That's a shame because color would have made the "Caught in The Web of Love" musical number even more surreal than it already was. Where is that darned "colorization" process when we really need it? :wink: SETH
"Novelty is always welcome, but talking pictures are just a fad." -- Irving Thalberg
"Who the hell wants to hear actors talk ?" -- Harry Warner
Offline

Richard M Roberts

  • Posts: 1385
  • Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:56 pm

Re: Sono-Art AKA World Wide Pictures Logo

PostMon May 21, 2012 3:43 pm

sethb wrote:If you folks can take your eyes off that amazing Sono-Art logo for a few moments, I just wanted to note that apparently THE GREAT GABBO (1929) was released by Sono-Art, according to the film's credits, and was directed by James Cruze, who did go on to several bigger and better things. The film is an interesting "early talkie" curiosity, and it's a toss-up as whose acting is more wooden, Erich Von Stroheim or his vetriloquist's dummy.

I also understand that this movie was restored by the LOC (a good thing too, since the existing dupes in circulation are almost unwatchable). The credits also state that the film contains "color sequences," which apparently no longer exist. That's a shame because color would have made the "Caught in The Web of Love" musical number even more surreal than it already was. Where is that darned "colorization" process when we really need it? :wink: SETH



James Cruze Productions moved their distribution from PDC-Pathe' to Sono Art in 1929, and despite the relative success of THE GREAT GABBO in 1929, had managed to bankrupt themselves by 1932, yet another movie pioneer brought down by Sono Art!

The color sequences do not survive even in LOC's rather good restoration of GABBO, but I don't believe "The Web of Love" song was one of those tunes from the film shot in color. I have a great hot dance version of that song recorded by some dime-store label.

Have you ever seen the FRACTURED FLICKERS re-do of THE GREAT GABBO? Probbly the funniest thing they ever did on that show.


RICHARD M ROBERTS
Offline
User avatar

momsne

  • Posts: 396
  • Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 10:15 pm

Re: Sono-Art AKA World Wide Pictures Logo

PostMon May 21, 2012 9:32 pm

For more on the movie career of James Cruze, a poster at ancestry.com wrote a pretty informative obituary on Cruze. I excerpted two paragraphs from the obit below. Cruze seems to have been a lawsuit magnet by the end of the twenties.

Obit: James Cruze aka Jens Vera Cruz Bosen
http://boards.ancestry.com/topics.obits ... ashx?pnt=1

On June 14, 1929, Cruze was subpoenaed to appear in court in Los Angeles in a grand jury proceeding investigating the circumstances surrounding the filming of Old Ironsides off Catalina Island three years earlier. During a dynamiting scene directed by Cruze, a seaman, Charles O. Davis, was killed, and several others were injured.

On July 1, 1929 Cruze made more headlines with a suit against an artist he had filed in Los Angeles the day before. It seems that John Decker, a fairly prominent Hollywood painter and caricaturist, was commissioned by Cruze to do his portrait. The image was less than Cruze hoped for, and he refused to pay the bill, whereupon Decker added some vertical bars to the portrait frame and displayed it in a show window at 6070 Sunset Boulevard, with the caption: "JAMES CRUZE IN PRISON FOR DEBT."
Offline
User avatar

Ray Faiola

  • Posts: 668
  • Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:18 am
  • Location: Ellenville, NY

Re: Sono-Art AKA World Wide Pictures Logo

PostTue May 22, 2012 11:10 am

I have a 16mm original print of one Sono Art-Worldwide feature, HYPNOTIZED with Moran and Mack (actually, George Moran only makes a cameo appearance as the team was breaking up when the picture was made!). They should have just run the logo for 6 reels.
Classic Film Scores on CD
http://www.chelsearialtostudios.com
Offline
User avatar

silentfilm

Moderator

  • Posts: 7770
  • Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:31 pm
  • Location: Dallas, TX USA

Re: Sono-Art AKA World Wide Pictures Logo

PostTue May 22, 2012 11:11 am

In late 1925-early 1926, James Cruze started directing a movie for Paramount entitled The Waiter at the Ritz, starring Raymond Griffith. The film was never completed, and Paramount sued him for breach of contract.
Offline
User avatar

mndean

  • Posts: 748
  • Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:04 pm
  • Location: Sacramento, CA

Re: Sono-Art AKA World Wide Pictures Logo

PostTue May 22, 2012 11:33 am

Ray Faiola wrote:I have a 16mm original print of one Sono Art-Worldwide feature, HYPNOTIZED with Moran and Mack (actually, George Moran only makes a cameo appearance as the team was breaking up when the picture was made!). They should have just run the logo for 6 reels.


Aw, why bring that up?
Offline
User avatar

FrankFay

  • Posts: 2784
  • Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:48 am
  • Location: Albany NY

Re: Sono-Art AKA World Wide Pictures Logo

PostTue May 22, 2012 12:20 pm

I've seen a bit of that. Ernest Torrence is it it and he's giving a better performance than the film deserves.
Eric Stott
Offline

Lokke Heiss

  • Posts: 608
  • Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:25 pm

Re: Sono-Art AKA World Wide Pictures Logo

PostTue May 22, 2012 10:11 pm

A film collector friend of mine told me his reaction the first time he saw this logo: "I saw this logo years ago, and my first thought was that it had been done by two drunk college students who had a camera and some money to spend."
"You can't top pigs with pigs."

Walt Disney, responding to someone who asked him why he didn't immediately do a sequel to The Three Little Pigs
Offline

Richard Finegan

  • Posts: 989
  • Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:09 am

Re: The Great Gabbo

PostWed May 23, 2012 8:19 pm

sethb wrote:THE GREAT GABBO (1929) was released by Sono-Art, according to the film's credits, and was directed by James Cruze... The credits state that the film contains "color sequences," which apparently no longer exist.


THE GREAT GABBO is scheduled at The Film Forum in New York on June 18, 2012 and their schedule says it'll be a restored 35mm print including Technicolor sequence.

http://www.filmforum.org/movies/more/th ... gabbo_the_

Return to Talking About Talkies

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron