Tinted TRIP TO THE MOON (1902) with new music scores!

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
silentfilm

Tinted TRIP TO THE MOON (1902) with new music scores!

Unread post by silentfilm » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:05 pm

https://www.flickeralley.com/classic-mo ... y=20414531

A Trip to the Moon: In Its Original 1902 Colors/The Extraordinary Voyage

A Trip to the Moon: In Its Original 1902 Colors/The Extraordinary Voyage
Format Blu-ray/DVD Combo (NTSC)
Region Region A/Region 1
Director Georges Méliès, Serge Bromberg
Composers Jeff Mills, Dorian Pimpernel, Serge Bromberg, Robert Israel, Frederick Hodges
Year 1902, 2011
Language Silent with English Intertitles, French & English
Length 15 minutes, 65 minutes
UPC6-17311-68499-9

A TRIP TO THE MOON: IN ITS ORIGINAL 1902 COLORS IS BACK ... AND NOW WITH BRAND NEW OPTIONAL SCORES!

PRE-ORDER YOUR BLU-RAY/DVD DUAL-EDITION COPY TODAY! RELEASE DATE: MARCH 6, 2018

Flicker Alley, Lobster Films, and Blackhawk Films® are proud to announce the re-release of the restored 1902 hand-colored edition of Georges Méliès’ A Trip to the Moon, featuring new scores from composer/DJ Jeff Mills, musical group Dorian Pimpernel, and an improvised piano track by Serge Bromberg with optional narration written by Georges Méliès.

Once believed lost, a copy of the original, hand-colored version of Georges Méliès’ masterwork A Trip to the Moon was miraculously found in Barcelona, Spain in 1993. Initially thought too fragile to restore, the film underwent one of the most complex and ambitious film restoration projects ever. Three experts in film restoration – Lobster Films, Groupama Gan Foundation, and Technicolor Foundation for Cinema Heritage – used the most advanced digital technologies available to assemble and painstakingly restore the film’s 13,375 fragmented frames.

Follow six scholars—members of the Astronomers’ Club—as they set off on an expedition to the moon! Traveling in a bullet-shaped rocket fired into space by a giant cannon, these voyagers arrive to meet the moon’s inhabitants: the Selenites. Escaping the Selenties’ king, the scholars fall back to Earth in their rocket and are fished out of the ocean by a sailor. Applause and a triumphant parade for the six heroes concludes the first outer-space adventure in the history of cinema.

Flicker Alley, Lobster Films, and Blackhawk Films® are thrilled to present this re-released publication of the 1902 hand-colored edition of A Trip to the Moon. This deluxe dual-format edition features two brand new scores by Jeff Mills and Dorian Pimpernel, as well as an improvised piano track by Serge Bromberg with optional narration written by Georges Méliès.

BONUS MATERIALS INCLUDE:

THE EXTRAORDINARY VOYAGE : Directors Serge Bromberg and Eric Lange (Lobster Films) chronicle the journey of A Trip to the Moon from production in 1902, to the astonishing rediscovery in 1993, to the eventual restoration and opening at the Cannes Film Festival in 2011. The 65-minute documentary includes interviews with filmmakers Costa Gavras, Michel Gondry, Michel Hazanavicius, and Jean-Pierre Jeunet on Méliès enduring significance to cinema.
A TRIP TO THE MOON (B/W): A beautifully restored black-and-white edition from original 35mm elements with two separate audio tracks of music: An orchestral score by composer Robert Israel with the original English narration written by Georges Méliès; and a second track produced by Russell Merritt consisting of a troupe of actors voicing the various characters as performed in the U.S. in 1903, with piano accompaniment by Frederick Hodges.
THE ECLIPSE (1904) & THE ASTRONOMER’S DREAM (1898): New high-definition versions of two lunar-related shorts by Méliès.
Souvenir Booklet: 23-page booklet featuring an essay by Gilles Duval and Séverine Wemaere, as well as rare production photographs, original drawings by Méliès, and much more!

Roscoe

Re: Tinted TRIP TO THE MOON (1902) with new music scores!

Unread post by Roscoe » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:26 pm

So is this significantly different from the last TRIP TO THE MOON Blu/Ray -- is there anything more than the new, and undoubtedly superior, score choices?
"If you lose this war, don't blame me."

http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com" target="_blank

Saint-Just

Unread post by Saint-Just » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:42 pm

I passed on the first release of this because it only had the one garbage score - I sense that two out of the three here are too but the piano score with narration should be a winner, and so I'll probably pop for this one.

Confirmed - Jeff Mills and Dorian Pimpernel have no business 'scoring' a silent film - why they (Flicker Alley) want to sonically deface A Trip to the Moon is more than I can figure - I'm tempted to boycott this release too. WHY can't the Robert Israel score accompany the full color version?

WaverBoy

Unread post by WaverBoy » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:30 am

I can only hope that the improvised piano score with narration is good. The obvious choice would be to have the Robert Israel score with narration accompany the color version, unless for some reason the color version differs from the black and white version to such an extent that it wouldn't synch properly.

fwtep

Unread post by fwtep » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:07 am

I have a lot of FlickerAlley discs and I'm very happy with the quality and extras. I have their other Trip To The Moon and I really dislike the score on the color version, so I was initially happy to see this release announcement. But like others, when I investigated the other scores it was clear that the only one that held out any hope was the piano one. Still, even with just that one I briefly considered purchasing. But then I realized that as much as I'd like to support Flicker Alley, I can't bring myself to pay $30 for a fifteen minute piano piece that I've never heard before. There are CDs and feature films, books, etc.-- that I really like and that KNOW I'll get more than fifteen minutes of enjoyment out of-- for which $30 is often beyond what I'm willing to pay (or, what I can afford at that moment).

I do hope they sell well though, and certainly for someone who doesn't have it yet it's worth buying.

rudyfan

Unread post by rudyfan » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:17 pm

As someone who bought the first steelbook of A Trip to the Moon, I wonder if we might have an option for a discount on the new edition? I hate the score on the original, but, I'm feeling balky at dropping more for this film just to get a score I can deal with.
http://www.rudolph-valentino.com" target="_blank" target="_blank
http://nitanaldi.com" target="_blank" target="_blank
http://www.dorothy-gish.com" target="_blank" target="_blank

Nick_M

Unread post by Nick_M » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:25 pm

I've seen Bromberg perform to this. He's good. I wouldn't turn down a screening where he's playing.

Brooksie

Unread post by Brooksie » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:42 pm

This seems like a good compromise between honouring Melies' desire for a score contemporary to whatever time in which the film was shown, and something closer to what might have been used for original screenings. At the very least, it will stop the grousing about the old score. I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it as much as most folks seemed to. If anything encourages viewers who might otherwise have passed on a 110+ year old film to check it out, then I'm all for it.

Thad Komorowski

Unread post by Thad Komorowski » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:19 pm

As discussed at the time of its release, funding for the $500,000 restoration was dependent on that score being the only option. Regardless of your feelings on that score, a rerelease of a silent short film with multiple score options should only be seen as a good thing, because that indicates there's enough of a demand for silent film that would make a rerelease a mere six years later feasible.

bigshot

Unread post by bigshot » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:35 pm

The DVD sets are infinitely better than the blu-ray. Along with the supplemental set Encore, First Wizard of Cinema includes every surviving film by Melies. The blu-ray is primarily a documentary about the restoration of one film. That would be interesting as a supplement, but the films themselves are what count.

Melies: First Wizard of Cinema 1896-1913 http://amzn.to/2r7amVx" target="_blank
Melies: Encore http://amzn.to/2DhSrRa" target="_blank

bigshot

Unread post by bigshot » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:39 pm

WaverBoy wrote:I can only hope that the improvised piano score with narration is good. The obvious choice would be to have the Robert Israel score with narration accompany the color version, unless for some reason the color version differs from the black and white version to such an extent that it wouldn't synch properly.
Unfortunately, that's the case. I ripped the discs with the intent of putting the score from the DVD on the color film on the blu-ray and they didn't line up at all. I could have made it work, but it would have taken a few hours to do properly.

silentfilm

Unread post by silentfilm » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:14 pm

It's not just ATTTMoon. You do get two more Melies shorts, plus an hour-long documentary on the restoration of the film. The Dorian Pimpernel track is likely to be experimental music, but I don't know how you guys can complain about the other two tracks without hearing them.

Saint-Just

Unread post by Saint-Just » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:08 am

silentfilm wrote:It's not just ATTTMoon. You do get two more Melies shorts, plus an hour-long documentary on the restoration of the film. The Dorian Pimpernel track is likely to be experimental music, but I don't know how you guys can complain about the other two tracks without hearing them.
Anyone who has a 'DJ' apellation is not a good choice to 'score' a silent film - in any case I checked out Jeff Mills' work on YouTube and it in no way fits with any sort of film made before the 1980's. There's clearly a target audience in mind here and I'm not it. Fine - Flicker Alley can just be on their way without my money.

bigshot

Unread post by bigshot » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:06 am

Jeff Mills
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnAgu5bg1D4" target="_blank

Dorian Pimpernel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZIgMMaiMA4" target="_blank

No thank you.

Red Bartlett

Unread post by Red Bartlett » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:51 am

I almost always prefer a traditional approach -- there's no reason to present diluted antiques to people who enjoy antiques. Just restore them to their original glory and time. But I actually liked the score that came with the other release. It's a surreal film, and the "trippy" soundtrack didn't bother me. But also because the film is SO OLD that it predates the typical silent film feel, where I'd want an organ or something. I mean you could really play anything for this film -- a banjo and a tuba -- and I'd like it. Actually I like banjos and tubas a lot...

I will say, for a release like this -- one focused on just one small short -- there's really no reason to not give viewers a slew of score options. I imagine every silent film accompanist in the world would LOVE to submit one. And if they really wanted to sell another run of the same release, with a new score option being the only draw, then why not 15 or 20 scores?

Rick Lanham

Unread post by Rick Lanham » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:19 am

I recently played the earlier Flicker Alley release for a friend who had just seen a version on YouTube. Also played the documentary of its astonishing restoration.

I enjoyed the music more this time, and I hope that Flicker Alley can make lots of dough with a new release. I haven't decided if I will buy it.

Rick
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

SilentsPlease

Unread post by SilentsPlease » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:25 am

Red Bartlett wrote:I almost always prefer a traditional approach -- there's no reason to present diluted antiques to people who enjoy antiques. Just restore them to their original glory and time. But I actually liked the score that came with the other release. It's a surreal film, and the "trippy" soundtrack didn't bother me. But also because the film is SO OLD that it predates the typical silent film feel, where I'd want an organ or something. I mean you could really play anything for this film -- a banjo and a tuba -- and I'd like it. Actually I like banjos and tubas a lot...

I will say, for a release like this -- one focused on just one small short -- there's really no reason to not give viewers a slew of score options. I imagine every silent film accompanist in the world would LOVE to submit one. And if they really wanted to sell another run of the same release, with a new score option being the only draw, then why not 15 or 20 scores?
The new release will have 3 scores for the color version, as opposed to just one for the previous release's color version. So at least that will be an improvement.

SilentsPlease

Unread post by SilentsPlease » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:58 am

The scores by Jeff Mills and Dorian Pimpernal were used for the 2016 DVD released by Lobster Films in France (Amazon.fr link).

Jeff Mills has also released a 60-minute CD soundtrack of his score for "A Trip to the Moon." I found some of the tracks posted on Youtube, probably illegal uploads, but they give you a taste of what is to come. I don't want to post links here if they are indeed illegal uploads. You can search Youtube for the track titles.

I listened to a few of Mills' tracks and can confidently say that those who didn't like the Air soundtrack will most likely not like Mill's score as well. Both the Air score, and now Mills', remind me of Giorgio Moroder's pop score for Metropolis that essentially turned the film into one big music video. A music accompaniment for a silent film needs to "integrate" more into the film.

But I have an open mind, and will await the final product. As I said, the Mills tracks I listened to are from the 60-minute CD, and may differ somewhat from 15-minute version for the film.

bigshot

Unread post by bigshot » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:43 am

My objection to the Air soundtrack wasn't just about style. That track didn't hit the beats of the action, and it didn't even hit the moods. There's a chase scene at the end that had music that sounded like a picnic in the park on LSD. I can put on a Pink Floyd album as wallpaper myself. They don't need to put that on the disc.

That sample of the Mills soundtrack is awful. It sounds like Gyorgy Ligeti and Philip Glass at a gay disco.

silentfilm

Unread post by silentfilm » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:22 pm

Regardless of what you might think of the other two soundtracks, the disc will have a piano score by archivist Serge Bromberg for people who prefer traditional accompaniment.

bigshot

Unread post by bigshot » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:27 pm

That has narration too, doesn't it? Maybe if they put the narration in the center channel with 3.0 they could leave the center out with a 2.0 piano track as an alternate. The narration is interesting, but I don't think I need the narration every time I watch the film.

I wonder whose idea it is to use techno music on this film. They keep hammering away at the idea, but it doesn't work. It seems like Air took the blame and then they turned around and commissioned someone else to make the same mistake again. Two people in fact! Someone somewhere involved in this project is very stubborn.

R. Cat

Unread post by R. Cat » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:49 pm

silentfilm wrote:Regardless of what you might think of the other two soundtracks, the disc will have a piano score by archivist Serge Bromberg for people who prefer traditional accompaniment.
Bruce, I'm open to double-dipping on this title if there's a period reflective soundtrack. I might even buy into an experimental soundtrack provided it doesn't take me out of the period completely (from a mood standpoint). Nevertheless, I was somewhat disappointed with the earlier Flicker Alley release having paid the full suggested retail price for it just prior to the clearance sale. Color me suckered.

bigshot wrote:
silentfilm wrote:Regardless of what you might think of the other two soundtracks, the disc will have a piano score by archivist Serge Bromberg for people who prefer traditional accompaniment.
That has narration too, doesn't it? Maybe if they put the narration in the center channel with 3.0 they could leave the center out with a 2.0 piano track as an alternate. The narration is interesting, but I don't think I need the narration every time I watch the film.
I certainly hope the narration doesn't cover the only period friendly track. That would negatively impact rewatch value. Also, since FA is putting the effort into rebooting this historic title shouldn't there be another limited edition steel book reissue? I might be persuaded to pony up again for something a little more elegantly presented.
bigshot wrote:I wonder whose idea it is to use techno music on this film. They keep hammering away at the idea, but it doesn't work. It seems like Air took the blame and then they turned around and commissioned someone else to make the same mistake again. Two people in fact! Someone somewhere involved in this project is very stubborn.
Maybe it's just me, but I'm not upset by the inclusion of a variety of soundtracks deemed more interesting to millennials and avant garde music fans as long as one channel is reserved for those of us who are connoisseurs of more traditional silent cinema music.

bigshot

Unread post by bigshot » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:22 am

I'm not opposed to different types of music either. But it appears they are choosing random techno musicians who have absolutely no idea how to go about accompanying a film. It looks like they create a whole bunch of music based on impressions of moods and situations, then they wallpaper stuff over the picture with no attempt to hit any accents.

Saint-Just

Unread post by Saint-Just » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:18 pm

bigshot wrote:I'm not opposed to different types of music either. But it appears they are choosing random techno musicians who have absolutely no idea how to go about accompanying a film. It looks like they create a whole bunch of music based on impressions of moods and situations, then they wallpaper stuff over the picture with no attempt to hit any accents.
Exactly, and fans of that stuff got sucked up to on the first release - why they should get two more crap scores while the music lovers (i.e. 'traditionalists') only get one? I like piano scores well enough but this is an insult to the true artists who UNDERSTAND silent films and how to score them - that Robert Israel gets relegated to the black and white version is just preposterous - Mont Alto could have provided a better score than these tech-noise makers, so could Philip Carli, Martin Marks, Dave Drazin, Ben Model, ad infinitum.

R. Cat

Unread post by R. Cat » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:26 pm

As stated in Bruce's original post and from the Flicker Alley site the narration over Serge's piano score is optional, ...so apparently it can be removed (that's a plus) and (just today) for those who've received notification, there's currently a discount. Without being limited to techno/avant garde music soundtracks and chipping away at the high MSRP this is looking a bit more interesting. Of course, everyone's mileage varies for double-dipping, but I'm trying to be glass-half-full here.

WaverBoy

Unread post by WaverBoy » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:56 pm

Just preordered mine from Flicker Alley for $34.95 shipped. Here's hoping Serge's score is a winner.

bigshot

Unread post by bigshot » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:54 pm

I think I have that version either on the B&W DVD in the previous version or the DVD complete set. It works fine and the narration is charming with its funny French accent, but it is really an alternative if you bail on everything else. This really should have had a proper score with a band.

Half a loaf may be OK if you don't already have the previous version. But I already invested thirty bucks for something that makes me mad every time I look at it. They need to do better than just a band aid. I understand Flicker Alley is a small company. But they've burned me bad on the Chaplin Mutuals, Moon and now they want me to rebuy This Is Cinerama too. Get it right the first time and move on to new things!

WaverBoy

Unread post by WaverBoy » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:38 pm

I have this in my hands now, and can happily confirm that this release is saved by the inclusion of Serge Bromberg's delightful piano score with his equally delightful (and optional) narration. A welcome relief from Air. Buy with confidence, fans! Although, the two new "main" score choices are just as headscratchingly rotten and inappropriate as the Air score. Flicker Alley should have used their money for a re-recording of the Robert Israel score with Serge's narration.

Spiny Norman

Unread post by Spiny Norman » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:04 pm

If there is more than one print, could this potentially have been a 3D version - if we forget for a moment that one is coloured and the other isn't?
There is one and a half other Melies that Lobster managed to render in 3D - actual true 3d because they filmed with two cameras.
This is nøt å signåture.™

Darren Nemeth

Unread post by Darren Nemeth » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:53 am

Spiny Norman wrote:If there is more than one print, could this potentially have been a 3D version - if we forget for a moment that one is coloured and the other isn't?
There is one and a half other Melies that Lobster managed to render in 3D - actual true 3d because they filmed with two cameras.
I think all surviving prints are from the French negative. There were three or four prints, IIRC.

Star Film produced prints from the USA negative for only a brief time. Around 1908 the Melies' lab in New York was robbed. Among the many negatives stolen was Trip To The Moon.

Any other prints made after the theft might have been from a duplicate made from their domestic France negative. The odds of having the two versions to make 3D is slim, IMHO.

However I could be wrong.
"How to Film Moving Pictures in the 1910's" by Darren Nemeth
https://darren-nemeth.squarespace.com/h ... the-1910s/