Post your holiday wish list and win Mary Pickford or The Ancient Law!

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Post your holiday wish list and win Mary Pickford or The Ancient Law!

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:47 am

What are you praying for this holiday season?

Tell us in NitrateVille's annual holiday wish list thread, and be eligible to win one of these titles from Flicker Alley:

Tell us what you're asking for this holiday season, and you'll be automatically entered to win one of three new releases from Flicker Alley. That's all you have to do—spell it out below, and then we'll pick three winners on Friday, December 14.

Flicker Alley is proud to present Ewald André Dupont's 1923 silent film The Ancient Law (Das alte Gesetz), digitally restored by the Deutsche Kinemathek with generous support from the Sunrise Foundation for Education and the Arts. The Ancient Law is an important piece of German-Jewish cinematic history, contrasting the closed world of an Eastern European shtetl with the liberal mores of 1860s Vienna. With its historically authentic set design and ensemble of prominent actors – all captured magnificently by cinematographer Theodor Sparkuhl – The Ancient Law is an outstanding example of the creativity of Jewish filmmakers in 1920s Germany.

After first reconstructing the film in 1984, the Deutsche Kinemathek found the censor’s certificate with the text of the original title cards. This provided the impetus for a worldwide search for all the surviving film elements and a new, digital restoration – which drew upon nitrate prints in five different languages held in archives across Europe and the United States. With the censor’s certificate, the restoration team from the Deutsche Kinemathek could accurately reconstruct the intertitles as well the correct editing. The color scheme is based on two nitrate prints nearly identical in their tinting and toning. The restored version closely corresponds to the original German theatrical release, both in its length and digitally simulated color.

In the film, Baruch (Ernst Deutsch), the son of a rabbi, becomes fascinated by the theater. Against his father’s wishes, Baruch leaves home and finds his way to Vienna, where an archduchess at the imperial court (Henny Porten) falls in love with him. She becomes his patroness, facilitating his successful career as a classical actor. But Baruch continues to long for home, and must find a way to reconcile his religious heritage with his love of secular literature. The movie paints a complex portrait of the tension between tradition and modernity.

Now viewers can experience a film fundamental to German-Jewish history in its most complete form since 1923. This deluxe dual-disc collectors set features two scores: an ensemble score by Donald Sosin and Alicia Svigals, and an orchestral score by French composer Philippe Schoeller. In addition, fascinating bonus materials contextualizing the film, include:

Der Film im Film (Germany, 1923) - The only surviving excerpt of a documentary on film production in Weimar Germany, featuring the different personalities of several famous directors of the era at work on the set including Fritz Lang, Robert Wiene, and E.A. Dupont.
Insights into the Restoration - A 15-minute demonstration with raw scans of the different nitrate source materials, illustrating how the reconstruction was completed.
Image Slideshow - Rare production stills and original archival materials.
Essays on The Ancient Law - A booklet containing two essays: an appreciation of the film and its historical context, written by film historian and scholar, Cynthia Walk; and an overview of the restoration process by Daniel Meiller, Head of Audiovisual Collections, Deutsche Kinemathek.
Notes on the Film Music – Introductions to the two new musical scores commissioned for the restored film.

Fanchon the Cricket based on an “adult fairy tale” by George Sand, stars Mary Pickford as the title character, a strong-willed waif ostracized by “acceptable society” until she shows them the power of love and understanding. Directed by James Kirkwood and boasting exquisite cinematography by Edward Wynard, Fanchon the Cricket was filmed on location in Delaware Gap, Pennsylvania. A natural, sensual and uninhibited Pickford breaks through today’s stereotype of her as “the girl with the curls.” It is also the only surviving film in which both Jack and Lottie Pickford appear with their sister.

Once believed to be a lost film, Fanchon the Cricket restoration is the result of a unique international collaboration between the Mary Pickford Foundation, the Cinémathèque Française and the British Film Institute. A new negative and 35mm prints were created from the restored digital version and the Mary Pickford Foundation paired the film with a new, original score by Julian Ducatenzeiler and Andy Gladbach.

Fanchon the Cricket includes a souvenir booklet featuring rare photographs and essays by Cari Beauchamp.

Mary Pickford plays a “tomboy of the tenements” in this comedy drama, which she also wrote. Filmed over ten weeks, Little Annie Rooney was shot entirely on a set created by art director John D. Schulze at the Pickford Fairbanks Studio. Co-starring William Haines and a wide-ranging, multi-ethnic cast, Little Annie Rooney met with huge critical and commercial success upon its original release, proving fans and critics alike wanted the then-33-year-old Mary to stay a child forever.

Created from the original tinted nitrate print in Mary Pickford’s personal collection at the Library of Congress, Little Annie Rooney was preserved photochemically by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences Film Archive. A new 35mm preservation master was then scanned at 4K high definition so that the Mary Pickford Foundation, in cooperation with AMPAS, could create a digital version to perfectly match the original nitrate tints and tones. The Mary Pickford Foundation commissioned Andy Gladbach to compose a new, original soundtrack performed by a 12-piece orchestra including three percussionists.

Little Annie Rooney includes a souvenir booklet featuring rare photographs, essays by Cari Beauchamp, and an article on the composing of the new score.

So now, tell us what you hope will be waiting for you. Mine... well, I made a lot of hints during the Barnes & Noble Criterion sale about that Ingmar Bergman box set. Maybe we'll all gather around the fire to watch Shame or Hour of the Wolf on Christmas Day.

What's yours?
“Maybe I’m an idealist, but I still think of the movie theater as a cathedral where we all go together to dream the dream together.” —Bernardo Bertolucci

BenModel

Re: Post your holiday wish list and win Mary Pickford or The Ancient Law!

Unread post by BenModel » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:05 am

Can you revise the blurbs to include the names of the people who did the scores? Thanks.

Ben
Undercrank Productions - rare silents on DVD/Blu available on Amazon
follow @silentfilmmusic on Twitter
Silent Film Music Podcast available on Apple Podcasts and on Stitcher.

John Shetler

Unread post by John Shetler » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:41 am

I want the BFI restored blu ray of Laurel and Hardy's Atoll K (aka Utopia aka Robinson Crusoelandl. It's an underrated movie, and I'm looking forward to a nice copy!

John Shetler

Unread post by John Shetler » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:55 am

BenModel wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:05 am
Can you revise the blurbs to include the names of the people who did the scores? Thanks.

Ben
If the Fanchon score sounds like the music in this promo, I'll be extremely disappointed.
https://vimeo.com/295693880/comments

Mitch Farish

Unread post by Mitch Farish » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:28 pm

I would like either Pioneers: First Women Filmmakers or Fritz Lang: The Silent Films.

About the score to Fanchon the Cricket, it's definitely not 1915 period music. The music by Julian Ducatenzeiler and Andy Gladbach has more of a '60s folk-rock vibe, which I think works because the film is about a kind of female hippie. You have to hear the whole thing; it's impossible to tell what it's like from the excerpts in the video.
Last edited by Mitch Farish on Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harlowgold

Unread post by Harlowgold » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:20 pm

FANCHON THE CRICKET and LITTLE ANNIE ROONEY restorations, PIONEERS: THE FIRST WOMEN FILMMAKERS, THE MAMIE VAN DOREN FILM NOIR COLLECTION, MELIES FAIRY TALES IN COLOR, THE KHINETOPHONE: A FACT, A REALITY; THE DIRK BOGARDE COLLECTIONS, THE JUNGLE PRINCESS, HER JUNGLE LOVE, THE CLAUDETTE COLBERT & FRED MACMURRAY COLLECTION, HONOR AMONG LOVERS, SKYLARK, almost any Gerard Philipe or Danielle Darrieux (preferable with English captions!), (Picture of) SECRET OF DORIAN GRAY with Helmut Berger, and probably a couple hundred others :lol:

TinaC

Unread post by TinaC » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:03 pm

Pioneers: First Women Filmmakers

The music in Fanchon the Cricket is bearable. I did not favor the music in "Something New" and "Linda" when they recently aired on TCM to promote the First Women Filmmakers boxset.

missdupont

Unread post by missdupont » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:59 pm

I'd like the Pioneers set and the Kinetophone. Yes, some of those scores they played on TCM for the Pioneers set, particularly for that Nell Shipman film, were terrible. My friends and I turned off the sound. If they want to play steel bars, out of tune, off the beat, dentist drill, and other anachronistic music, then give us a real score that fits, rather than something someone with no musical skill created.

Dean Thompson

Unread post by Dean Thompson » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:42 pm

I'm a little embarrassed to admit that ever since reading Chris Jacobs's review of the Fantomas blu ray nearly three years ago, I've been meaning (and meaning, and meaning) to snap it up, put the kettle on, and watch the whole shebang. But all the Kino, Milestone, Eureka!, Flicker Alley, BFI, and Criterion releases keep getting in the way! So maybe Santa will get the job done.

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:53 pm

Sorry Ben, I was out having lunch with Donald Sosin and Alicia Svigals and then attending The Ancient Law at the Music Box, for which they played the score that is on Flicker Alley's release of The Ancient Law, so I didn't see this till now.

Fine, I'll add the whole text of the Flicker Alley pages... which, by the way, are linked in the titles of the films.
“Maybe I’m an idealist, but I still think of the movie theater as a cathedral where we all go together to dream the dream together.” —Bernardo Bertolucci

35MM

Unread post by 35MM » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:42 am

All blu-ray:
It's the Old Army Game
Running Wild
Beggars of Life
Fanchon the Cricket
POPEYE THE SAILOR: The 1940s Vol. 1
Last edited by 35MM on Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
CURSES!

NotSoSilent

Unread post by NotSoSilent » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:45 am

You Never Know Women, Old Ironsides, Thelma Todd & ZaSu Pitts: The Hal Roach Collection, Found at Mostly Lost 2, The Kinetophone: A Fact! A Reality!, and the Mary Pickford releases noted above.

s.w.a.c.

Unread post by s.w.a.c. » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:18 am

Old Ironsides and The Covered Wagon blu-rays (I could finally retire my laserdisc of the latter title)

That Fritz Lang silents box from Kino

The new blu-rays of Kolchak: The Night Stalker & The Night Strangler, with brand new Tim Lucas commentaries

Any Undercrank Productions titles I don't already have.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

Little Caesar

Unread post by Little Caesar » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:55 am

Little Annie Rooney
Fanchon the Cricket
The Magnificent Ambersons
Some Like It Hot (Criterion edition)
The Sea Hawk
Popeye Cartoons 1943-1945
The Sheik (Kino)
Son of the Sheik (Kino)
Half Breed/Good Bad Man
Too many other Kino blu-rays to list
Never cry over spilt milk, because it may have been poisoned. - W.C. Fields

Hamilton's Grandson

Unread post by Hamilton's Grandson » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:33 pm

Rosita
Fanchon the Cricket

and.....................

Real Xmas wish: More film archives need to make a more concerted push on getting lost /rare titles available for the public to view before they disintegrate into dust.

Happy Holidays,
Dana
Mark Hamilton (I) is on imdb.com
Joseph Hamilton (I) is on imdb.com
Gertrude Brooke Hamilton is on imdb.com

silentsaregolden

Unread post by silentsaregolden » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:09 pm

Actually, Fanchon the Cricket and Little Annie Rooney!! Maybe I can just tell Santa I’ve already gotten one of these!!! Hmmmmmm?
Silents Are Golden
http://www.silentsaregolden.com

“Aw, go count yourself! You’re not so numerous!” - Virginia Lee Corbin

Rick Lanham

Unread post by Rick Lanham » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:45 pm

Dear Santa, Please bring me the new Mary Pickford titles and… shelves, I need shelves!

Rick
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

Dylanskye

Unread post by Dylanskye » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:30 am

As far as Blu-rays are concerned:

Flicker Alley's Méliès: Fairy Tales in Color
Kino Lorber's Nothing Sacred
Eureka's Pickup on South Street

:D

boblipton

Unread post by boblipton » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:34 am

I have seen both these movies and don't wish to be entered for either of them. I do recommend both of them.

My holiday wish is for more Nitratevillains and more activity from those who "think they have nothing to offer". I think they do.

Bob
Look into the pewter pot
To see the world as the world's not.

-- A.E. Housman

oldposterho

Unread post by oldposterho » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:33 am

Santa, if you're listening, the new Melies BD, Pioneers: First Women Filmmakers, It's the Old Army Game, or Old Ironsides would be much better than the usual lump of coal.

ColemanShedman

Unread post by ColemanShedman » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:24 am

The Magnificent Ambersons, My Man Godfrey, and The Thing from Another World! on Blu-ray.

Peg of the PreCodes

Unread post by Peg of the PreCodes » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:36 am

Hamilton's Grandson wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:33 pm
Real Xmas wish: More film archives need to make a more concerted push on getting lost /rare titles available for the public to view before they disintegrate into dust.
THIS. In the meantime, I hope to find the Dietrich and Von Sternberg in Hollywood box set and Flicker Alley's Judex under the Christmas tree.

tthacker

Unread post by tthacker » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:53 am

On my holiday wish list would be Pioneers: First Women Filmmakers, The Thing from Another World, and maybe The Horrors of Dracula.
Tom Thacker
http://nelsonevans.blogspot.com" target="_blank

silentfilm

Unread post by silentfilm » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:44 pm

Flicker Alley's The Man Who Cheated Himself, Pickford's Fanchon the Cricket and Little Annie Rooney, Too Late for Tears, Milestone's Shoes, and Dumb Girl of Portici.

mwalls

Unread post by mwalls » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:09 pm

The restored Hitch-Hiker or Gun Crazy.

Matthew.

FilmGauge

Unread post by FilmGauge » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:59 pm

I would really like the Criterion set of the Josef von Sternberg movies; next would be the Popeye 1940's set Volume 1 from the Warner Archive.

Cineanalyst

Unread post by Cineanalyst » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:02 am

Any of these movies would be nice... plus the Women Pioneers set. I also wish to make time to view Weber's Shoes and The Dumb Girl of Portici, among other titles that I already have.

drednm

Unread post by drednm » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:37 am

The Pioneer DVD set

Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com" target="_blank

Battra92

Unread post by Battra92 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:57 am

I'd like the new Melies set (I'm sure my daughter will enjoy watching it with me) or any of the Cartoon Roots Blu-rays I don't have yet. Oh and the Kinetophone DVD looks fun too.

Most of all, I want time to watch all these.

telical

Unread post by telical » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:36 am

Pioneers: First Women Filmmakers.
--
Robert Pearson
http://www.paramind.net" target="_blank
http://www.telicalbooks.com" target="_blank
http://www.regenerativemusic.net" target="_blank