Criterion Blu Ray/DVD for the Gold Rush

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
Gagman 66

Re: Criterion Blu Ray/DVD for the Gold Rush

Unread post by Gagman 66 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:19 am

William Perry Gold Rush Medley. (No Georgia Theme.)

http://fan.tcm.com/_William-Perry-THE-G ... 66470.html" target="_blank

Gagman 66

Unread post by Gagman 66 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:18 am

:o Finally saw this new restoration of the 1925 version. It is in a word, Tremendous! This really should be considered now as the definitive version. Hopefully the fact that it is the actually an extra and not the main feature will not prevent TCM from acquiring and airing THE GOLD RUSH at long last as close as we have come to the 1925 original continuity as has been possible in a very long time. What's more the overall image quality is just little shot of immaculate. By far the best I have ever seen it look.

:roll: There are still a couple shots that seem to be absent. In the Killiam print there is a close-up of the cat running across the dance floor before the sled dog spots him while Charlie and Georgia are tripping the light fantastic. That shot definitely is not there. Also, maybe I missed it somehow, but I did not see where Big Jim first awakens from the Blow on his head with shovel by Black Larsen? In addition, I was slightly disappointed that there were no closing credits for this restoration with music after "The End" flashes on the screen. It is truly the end. Another slight quibble is the lack of the original opening credit title design from 1925. I gather that those have never been found?

Timothy Brock's expanded adaption of the Chaplin's 1942 score is just amazing. It's incredible to consider that this is an all new recording with an entirely different orchestra, because it seem so exacting and faithful to the original. Much more so than Carl Davis re-orchestration of the CITY LIGHTS score did in-fact. While it would have been interesting to have had a new rendition of the 1925 score, Bill Perry's 1970 piano as well, as alternate tracks, I understand the complexities that would have been difficult to overcome in order to make those work. What we do have is a fabulous effort, and it was almost like a religious experience finally seeing the film in this fashion. I have seen the movie literally dozens of times over the years, but never like this. I wouldn't have said no to a little tinting though. Cheifly Blue, Amvber and Gold. The very first time I saw the picture in 1979 at age 13 it had these tints.

The little bits and pieces of additional footage that Chaplin discarded for the sound re-release make a huge difference in your overall impression of the artistic merit of THE GOLD RUSH. Should do much to restore the films lost reputation. I have always felt that way. At last we can see that reinstated footage as never before. Sharp and clear, almost on a par with the rest of picture from a pictorial perspective. And the scenes that Chaplin removed entirely leave one utterly dumbfounded as to what he was thinking at the time.

This is an outstanding release. What I had expected to see back in 2004 when the Warner DVD's were issued, and we all were dismayed. Not so this time. They finally got it right! I just can't recommend the DVD or Blu-ray highly enough. If you have been hesitant to order the new Criterion Restoration for any reason, don't be any longer. Now if only THE KID and CITY LIGHTS receive the same degree of consideration. THE KID presented in it's entirety, and CITY LIGHTS containing the alternate Davis track. Maybe THE CIRCUS containing the alternate Aurthur Kay track? Though since Chaplin took no credit there (even if he may have actually had a hand in some compositions ), that isn't likely.

Little Caesar

Unread post by Little Caesar » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:45 am

Gagman 66 wrote: :roll: There are still a couple shots that seem to be absent. In the Killiam print there is a close-up of the cat running across the dance floor before the sled dog spots him while Charlie and Georgia are tripping the light fantastic. That shot definitely is not there. Also, maybe I missed it somehow, but I did not see where Big Jim first awakens from the Blow on his head with shovel by Black Larsen? In addition, I was slightly disappointed that there were no closing credits for this restoration with music after "The End" flashes on the screen. It is truly the end. Another slight quibble is the lack of the original opening credit title design from 1925. I gather that those have never been found?
The shot with the cat is in the 1942 version. I could be wrong, but I think I remember reading somewhere that that particular shot was newly shot and inserted for the sound reissue. Why? I haven't any clue. As for it being in the Killiam version, here is my conjecture: the Killiam edition (at least the one that was prepared in 35 mm) was taken partially from a print of the 1942 version. Hence, it's possible that the dance hall scene was taken from that source. If you haven't watched it yet, there is a wonderful supplement on the disc about how the restoration was done. Thanks for posting the William Perry medley. It's been years since I've heard that.
Never cry over spilt milk, because it may have been poisoned. - W.C. Fields

jacksparrow900

Unread post by jacksparrow900 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:54 am

Gagman 66 wrote::o Finally saw this new restoration of the 1925 version. It is in a word, Tremendous! This really should be considered now as the definitive version. Hopefully the fact that it is the actually an extra and not the main feature will not prevent TCM from acquiring and airing THE GOLD RUSH at long last as close as we have come to the 1925 original continuity as has been possible in a very long time. What's more the overall image quality is just little shot of immaculate. By far the best I have ever seen it look.

:roll: There are still a couple shots that seem to be absent. In the Killiam print there is a close-up of the cat running across the dance floor before the sled dog spots him while Charlie and Georgia are tripping the light fantastic. That shot definitely is not there. Also, maybe I missed it somehow, but I did not see where Big Jim first awakens from the Blow on his head with shovel by Black Larsen? In addition, I was slightly disappointed that there were no closing credits for this restoration with music after "The End" flashes on the screen. It is truly the end. Another slight quibble is the lack of the original opening credit title design from 1925. I gather that those have never been found?

Timothy Brock's expanded adaption of the Chaplin's 1942 score is just amazing. It's incredible to consider that this is an all new recording with an entirely different orchestra, because it seem so exacting and faithful to the original. Much more so than Carl Davis re-orchestration of the CITY LIGHTS score did in-fact. While it would have been interesting to have had a new rendition of the 1925 score, Bill Perry's 1970 piano as well, as alternate tracks, I understand the complexities that would have been difficult to overcome in order to make those work. What we do have is a fabulous effort, and it was almost like a religious experience finally seeing the film in this fashion. I have seen the movie literally dozens of times over the years, but never like this. I wouldn't have said no to a little tinting though. Cheifly Blue, Amvber and Gold. The very first time I saw the picture in 1979 at age 13 it had these tints.

The little bits and pieces of additional footage that Chaplin discarded for the sound re-release make a huge difference in your overall impression of the artistic merit of THE GOLD RUSH. Should do much to restore the films lost reputation. I have always felt that way. At last we can see that reinstated footage as never before. Sharp and clear, almost on a par with the rest of picture from a pictorial perspective. And the scenes that Chaplin removed entirely leave one utterly dumbfounded as to what he was thinking at the time.

This is an outstanding release. What I had expected to see back in 2004 when the Warner DVD's were issued, and we all were dismayed. Not so this time. They finally got it right! I just can't recommend the DVD or Blu-ray highly enough. If you have been hesitant to order the new Criterion Restoration for any reason, don't be any longer. Now if only THE KID and CITY LIGHTS receive the same degree of consideration. THE KID presented in it's entirety, and CITY LIGHTS containing the alternate Davis track. Maybe THE CIRCUS containing the alternate Aurthur Kay track? Though since Chaplin took no credit there (even if he may have actually had a hand in some compositions ), that isn't likely.
Well said I agree with everything you've said. Maybe Criterion took notice of how well Keaton's silent feature films are doing on blu ray and instead of just porting over the 1925 version from the warners dvd and making it an extra.

Doug Sulpy

Unread post by Doug Sulpy » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:13 pm

I broke my own rule against buying the edited Chaplin product being released by Criterion and bought "The Gold Rush."

And... damn, you guys were right. Random thoughts...

I, too, wished that credits... music... or something had followed the simple "The End" credit. I wanted a few moments to sit back and go: "Hell, yeah!" to myself before the menu shot back up.

I think the cat shot was filmed in the '40's. For one thing, it's not the same cat seen in the '25 version.

I never noticed that the shot at the end of Charlie and Georgia climbing the stairs is different... in the silent one, Charlie sneaks in a gag, as he stumbles a bit. I guess he figured the '42 version didn't need gags.

The booklet has one of the most amazing statements I've ever read, as the author claims there's "no downside" to the sound version. Oh, sure. Changing the plot... who cares! Lopping off the ending... so what! Ah, and don't forget the most annoying narration in the history of motion pictures. Seriously. All copies of the '42 version could be destroyed and I wouldn't care.

... The '25 version LOOKS better than the '42 version on the blu-ray! There's much more tone, while the '42 version is more contrasty and flickers. Now there's absolutely NO reason to ever watch that horrible, deformed thing.

Finally, a huge bow to Timothy Brock, who did an incredible job adapting Chaplin's score and, of course, to Brownlow and Gill for putting the pieces together :).

rollot24

Unread post by rollot24 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:17 pm

Gee - Doug, you make me want to buy the thing. Up til now I was happy with the DVD release.
If Keaton were the magician who made elephants vanish, Langdon was the one who sat down with you and said "Pick a card." -Bob Lipton

Nick_M

Unread post by Nick_M » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:03 pm

Doug Sulpy wrote:... The '25 version LOOKS better than the '42 version on the blu-ray! There's much more tone, while the '42 version is more contrasty and flickers. Now there's absolutely NO reason to ever watch that horrible, deformed thing.
I noticed that flickering (and stuttering), too, as I was checking out the disc. It looked weird, so, for giggles, I looked at the first shot of ch. 7 frame-by-frame. The restoration is amateurish. It's common to replace defects with portions of neighboring frames, but in the '42, it's crudely done. Many of the pasted spots result in blurry smears. Worse, on larger portions of the frame, the technician merely dragged a box around the blemish, hit his hotkey, and moved on. You can see hard-edged boxes that make no attempt to match the rest of the picture. This results in screen tearing when Black Larsen's torso separates from his hips as he reaches the right-third of the screen. I have a feeling the '42 is sourced from a very old digital cleanup.