Bill Morrison's "Dawson City: Frozen Time" from Kino Lorber

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
Jim Roots

Re: Bill Morrison's "Dawson City: Frozen Time" from Kino Lor

Unread post by Jim Roots » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:37 am

bigshot wrote:time to get a bigger TV!
I have a 52".

Jim

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:49 am

Sheesh, can you even make out stars' faces on such a tiny screen?
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

boblipton

Unread post by boblipton » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:52 am

The trick, Mike, is to be within four miles of the screen.

Bob
Life's too short to sit on our rears watching other people's work.
— Bob Fells

Red Bartlett

Unread post by Red Bartlett » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:24 pm

Jim Roots wrote:Now with global warming melting the icecap and the permafrost, future regular floodings are inevitable
It's good to know that Santa Claus is near by though. He never asks for money!

Roseha

Unread post by Roseha » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:35 pm

I just saw the film by renting it from Google Play (over my Roku on the TV) and I thought it was stunning. It's true that it goes off on the occasional tangent but I can understand the director wanted to get everything related to Dawson City and the film discovery told in context. I actually didn't dislike the music, only the occasional use of sound effects (a pet peeve of mine). However they weren't really overbearing. I do agree that the fonts were way too small, I was unable to read a majority of the years in the rediscovered films' titles and they did go by too fast, I was really curious as to what had been found. However, it's a small issue and I really look forward to seeing the film again and finding out more about the discovered films.
- Rosemary

westegg

Unread post by westegg » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:11 am

Saw it, loved it.

I may be wrong on this, but I think the intended music and edited imagery lifts the whole experience into a more mystical realm about time's passage and the quirks of fate. Conventional narration would have made it, well, more ordinary.

Rick Lanham

Unread post by Rick Lanham » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:23 pm

A recent review on DVD Talk by Justin Remer:

"Final Thoughts:
A historical documentary driven almost entirely by vintage images and an ethereal musical score, Dawson City: Frozen Time is a unique, transportive, and vital viewing experience. Kino's packaging of the film is excellent too."

https://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/72707/d ... ozen-time/" target="_blank
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

Roseha

Unread post by Roseha » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:16 pm

By the way I just wanted to add that I've watched the film repeatedly and love it more each time. Between the images and the music - which I have come to really like - and the sense of lost film and history I think it's become one of my favorite films ever. I have also bought the Blu-ray and am looking forward to the extras, including some of the rediscovered films.
- Rosemary

oldposterho

Unread post by oldposterho » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:43 am

Just watched this and agree that more than one viewing will certainly be in order because I was so busy focusing on what titles and years the clips were from that I actually missed the clip, so consequently didn't really get the narrative of all the associated images most of the time. I liked the music but the wall o' sound aspect got to be a bit droney, could have used some breaks.

It was fascinating how many important early cinema types drifted through that tiny town.

drednm

Unread post by drednm » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:20 pm

Finally watched this fascinating documentary. Hell yes, the fonts used were way too small even on my giant TV form 2000. It also bugs me when actors aren't identified but I realize that was not the point to showing the clips. About the only actor I recognized was Mae Marsh.

Sorry, but I did not like the music. Maybe it was the fact that it virtually never stopped that I found annoying.

The links to Sid Grauman, Alexander Pantages, Robert Service, William Desmond Taylor, and the Trump whorehouse were unexpected to say the least.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com" target="_blank

bigshot

Unread post by bigshot » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:51 pm

I like the music a LOT more than that irritating violin ear worm in Ken Burns's Civil War!

Wm. Charles Morrow

Unread post by Wm. Charles Morrow » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:43 pm

Jim Roots wrote:So I adored this documentary ... But, oh god, why did they use such a godawful font for the subtitles?!?!?! It is so small, I had to sit two feet in front of the TV to see them! And they moved so fast, even a quick reader like me couldn't catch all of them! In some cases the titles were literally less than one second on screen!

Jim
I'm late to the party -- I missed this film when it was screened at the IFC Center last year, and finally caught up with the Kino edition this evening. Jim captured my reaction precisely: I adored it too, but the subtitles bugged the hell out of me. The tiny font gave my eyes a real workout, and they flashed by way too fast. For this first screening I chose not to pause the image (the movie is already quite long), but I do intend to see it again with the remote handy.

As for the controversial musical score, well, I had mixed feelings about it. There were stretches where I felt the music backed the images nicely, and gave the whole story an exotic, mysterious quality, but then times it would go over the top and get crazily melodramatic. The subtitles bothered me more than the music. And although I'm doing a lot of complaining here, I still enjoyed this experience over all. It's a fascinating tale, and there are priceless visuals.
-- Charlie Morrow

TerryC

Unread post by TerryC » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:11 am

I am sorry, but after reading all about this documentary, and really looking forward to it, I found it one of the most boring and soporific experiences I have had for a long time. I was very interested in seeing the actual movies that they found, but instead was treated to an endless history lesson about Dawson with the most lugubrious music imaginable. This movie would be best shown at the Dawson tourist centre. Thank goodness I got it from the Library prepretory to a possible purchase.

bigshot

Unread post by bigshot » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:41 pm

The films are fragments. I'd wager that they wouldn't make very engaging watching for you either.