THE SILENT FILMS OF MARION DAVIES book on Amazon

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
User avatar
drednm
Posts: 7588
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:41 pm
Location: Belgrade Lakes, ME

Re: THE SILENT FILMS OF MARION DAVIES now available

Unread post by drednm » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:00 pm

ajabrams wrote:
drednm wrote:Now at sale prices on Amazon!
It's definitely "Dr. Ed Week"at my apartment this week!! Got your book yesterday (I'm really enjoying it --love the color pix!!) and just received APRIL FOLLY today. Thanks for all you do Ed!!
Thanks! I wish the screen caps could have been a little bigger but low-res I guess...
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com" target="_blank

User avatar
drednm
Posts: 7588
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:41 pm
Location: Belgrade Lakes, ME

Re: THE SILENT FILMS OF MARION DAVIES book on Amazon

Unread post by drednm » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:46 am

Released Aug 27 and already my best selling book ever!

Thanks to all who have bought!
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com" target="_blank

User avatar
Harlowgold
Posts: 489
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:06 pm

Re: THE SILENT FILMS OF MARION DAVIES book on Amazon

Unread post by Harlowgold » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:34 pm

drednm wrote:Released Aug 27 and already my best selling book ever!

Thanks to all who have bought!
Congrats on your publication and success!

User avatar
Harlowgold
Posts: 489
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:06 pm

Re: THE SILENT FILMS OF MARION DAVIES book on Amazon

Unread post by Harlowgold » Fri May 11, 2018 1:28 pm

I'm not a super Marion fan but I enjoy her and really wanted to read this book so I had my library order a copy of it which just arrived today. Wow, it's a really beautiful book with a lovely graphic design. I've never seen a createspace book with some color inside of an otherwise b&w book - did you just set it for "all color" during the production design . I'm at work on my own createspace title right now and your book is really inspirational. I'll post a review of it on Amazon in the next month or so when I had a little more time.

And I want to encourage other members here (as I have mentioned in the past) to request their local libraries special order books members here have written even you aren't particularly interested enough in the subject to purchase it yourself. The writer still will get the royalty, you'll get to read the book, and others will, too. Most libraries will borrow older books from other libraries for you however they will generally order a copy of the book for their own collection if it's newly published in the last year or two (at least mine does). I also had them special order the SILENT VOICES book by Shane Brown mentioned on another thread and tried to get them to order one of Robert M. Fells' recent George Arliss books however they borrowed the older THE MAN WHO PLAYED GOD Scarecrow book from a university library - still glad to have a chance to read that one too though. I meant to also order Smari's Krazy Kat collection but forgot - well, it'll be in the next batch I request.)

User avatar
drednm
Posts: 7588
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:41 pm
Location: Belgrade Lakes, ME

Re: THE SILENT FILMS OF MARION DAVIES book on Amazon

Unread post by drednm » Fri May 11, 2018 7:40 pm

Harlowgold wrote:I'm not a super Marion fan but I enjoy her and really wanted to read this book so I had my library order a copy of it which just arrived today. Wow, it's a really beautiful book with a lovely graphic design. I've never seen a createspace book with some color inside of an otherwise b&w book - did you just set it for "all color" during the production design . I'm at work on my own createspace title right now and your book is really inspirational. I'll post a review of it on Amazon in the next month or so when I had a little more time.

And I want to encourage other members here (as I have mentioned in the past) to request their local libraries special order books members here have written even you aren't particularly interested enough in the subject to purchase it yourself. The writer still will get the royalty, you'll get to read the book, and others will, too. Most libraries will borrow older books from other libraries for you however they will generally order a copy of the book for their own collection if it's newly published in the last year or two (at least mine does). I also had them special order the SILENT VOICES book by Shane Brown mentioned on another thread and tried to get them to order one of Robert M. Fells' recent George Arliss books however they borrowed the older THE MAN WHO PLAYED GOD Scarecrow book from a university library - still glad to have a chance to read that one too though. I meant to also order Smari's Krazy Kat collection but forgot - well, it'll be in the next batch I request.)
Thanks. I hired a designer and she did all the uploading to CreatsSpace as well, so I have no idea. I assume the "all color" setting covers everything. She did a better job with CreateSpace than I did with my other books that I did myself.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com" target="_blank

User avatar
bobfells
Posts: 2973
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:03 pm
Location: Old Virginny

Re: THE SILENT FILMS OF MARION DAVIES book on Amazon

Unread post by bobfells » Sun May 13, 2018 8:27 pm

I've published several color photo books through CreateSpace and did all the layout and design myself. (I know - it looks like it!). Anyway, the answer is yes, even if you want to use color on only one page the entire book must be checked for color. There's also a flat rate for color (as with b/w only higher) so an author may feel that to justify the higher retail price imposed by CreateSpace then a certain broader use of color should be made.

Now I'll tell you a secret: I have published with both Createspace and Barnes & Noble's Nook Press. The terms are similar but Nook offers hardcover as well as paperback. But the real surprise is that color photos look better with Nook than with Create Space.
Official Biographer of Mr. Arliss

http://www.ArlissArchives.com" target="_blank
http://www.OldHollywoodinColor.com" target="_blank
https://www.Facebook.com/groups/413487728766029/" target="_blank

User avatar
Harlowgold
Posts: 489
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:06 pm

Re: THE SILENT FILMS OF MARION DAVIES book on Amazon

Unread post by Harlowgold » Fri May 18, 2018 1:38 pm

bobfells wrote:I've published several color photo books through CreateSpace and did all the layout and design myself. (I know - it looks like it!). Anyway, the answer is yes, even if you want to use color on only one page the entire book must be checked for color. There's also a flat rate for color (as with b/w only higher) so an author may feel that to justify the higher retail price imposed by CreateSpace then a certain broader use of color should be made.

Now I'll tell you a secret: I have published with both Createspace and Barnes & Noble's Nook Press. The terms are similar but Nook offers hardcover as well as paperback. But the real surprise is that color photos look better with Nook than with Create Space.
Thanks, I figured you would have to go "all color" to get some color. I ordered five Createspace books through my library to get a feel for what they look like and did notice that the "all color" book did not reproduce the color particularly well, looked about the same quality as a color image printed off a library computer. The Davies book's color was much better with the photos being smaller and with beautiful background design on those pages.

User avatar
bobfells
Posts: 2973
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:03 pm
Location: Old Virginny

Re: THE SILENT FILMS OF MARION DAVIES book on Amazon

Unread post by bobfells » Fri May 18, 2018 1:47 pm

Harlowgold wrote:
bobfells wrote:I've published several color photo books through CreateSpace and did all the layout and design myself. (I know - it looks like it!). Anyway, the answer is yes, even if you want to use color on only one page the entire book must be checked for color. There's also a flat rate for color (as with b/w only higher) so an author may feel that to justify the higher retail price imposed by CreateSpace then a certain broader use of color should be made.

Now I'll tell you a secret: I have published with both Createspace and Barnes & Noble's Nook Press. The terms are similar but Nook offers hardcover as well as paperback. But the real surprise is that color photos look better with Nook than with Create Space.
Thanks, I figured you would have to go "all color" to get some color. I ordered five Createspace books through my library to get a feel for what they look like and did notice that the "all color" book did not reproduce the color particularly well, looked about the same quality as a color image printed off a library computer. The Davies book's color was much better with the photos being smaller and with beautiful background design on those pages.
Actually, most of the color books I sell are in the Kindle format anyway and the images look great on the reader, iphone or PC. Nook Press has the advantage on printed color.
Official Biographer of Mr. Arliss

http://www.ArlissArchives.com" target="_blank
http://www.OldHollywoodinColor.com" target="_blank
https://www.Facebook.com/groups/413487728766029/" target="_blank

User avatar
Harlowgold
Posts: 489
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:06 pm

Re: THE SILENT FILMS OF MARION DAVIES now available

Unread post by Harlowgold » Fri May 18, 2018 1:48 pm

drednm wrote:
Mike Gebert wrote:

One thing I observed with Create Space is that they use different facilities for producing a small number of books (say, 1-5) than for a larger quantity (20+). There are tiny but perceptible differences between the covers in particular— and the larger order took longer to come.

Both are of good quality, but they're slightly different in feel.
I also made the mistake of ordering thru CS for the author discount ... LOL.... It's odd that the source (and the price) is the same but buying thru Amazon still nets you faster shipping. Who knew? My books are not even scheduled to arrive til Friday.... basically a whole week.

One order shipped from Greensboro, NC; the second order shipped from West Columbia, SC. Who knew?
The last page of your Davies book I have states it was published in Lexington Ky and shows the date 28 April 2018, presumably when it went off the presses. It's the only Createspace book I've seen with this sort of data in it!

User avatar
drednm
Posts: 7588
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:41 pm
Location: Belgrade Lakes, ME

Re: THE SILENT FILMS OF MARION DAVIES now available

Unread post by drednm » Fri May 18, 2018 2:29 pm

Got me. I don't even have a copy so I can't check. Printed or Published?

I have no idea where they print their stuff. I vaguely remember they have more than one printing plant, but Lexington doesn't sound familiar.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com" target="_blank

User avatar
greta de groat
Posts: 2140
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:06 am
Location: California
Contact:

Re: THE SILENT FILMS OF MARION DAVIES now available

Unread post by greta de groat » Sat May 19, 2018 9:28 pm

drednm wrote:Got me. I don't even have a copy so I can't check. Printed or Published?

I have no idea where they print their stuff. I vaguely remember they have more than one printing plant, but Lexington doesn't sound familiar.
I've seen Lexington on print on demand DVDs that were ordered through Amazon which had cover designs that looked like they had been copied from VHS boxes.

greta
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat

User avatar
Harlowgold
Posts: 489
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:06 pm

Re: THE SILENT FILMS OF MARION DAVIES now available

Unread post by Harlowgold » Mon May 21, 2018 11:56 am

drednm wrote:Got me. I don't even have a copy so I can't check. Printed or Published?

I have no idea where they print their stuff. I vaguely remember they have more than one printing plant, but Lexington doesn't sound familiar.
I'm sorry I should had the book at hand before posting, it actually says "Made in the USA, Lexington Ky, 28 April 2018" on the last three lines at the bottom in the middle. Still, have not seen this in any other CS book.

Noticed CS in their "store" has many (though not all) Warner Bros. MOD titles and apparently all Bearmanor Media Books. Apparently they manufacture those, don't know if they produce copies to sell just for their website or produce all copies made.

User avatar
drednm
Posts: 7588
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:41 pm
Location: Belgrade Lakes, ME

Re: THE SILENT FILMS OF MARION DAVIES book on Amazon

Unread post by drednm » Mon May 21, 2018 1:57 pm

So far as I know, CS closed its store (except for author copies) and links to items on Amazon, which bought CS a year or so ago. It's basically an upload site at this point.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com" target="_blank

User avatar
Harlowgold
Posts: 489
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:06 pm

Re: THE SILENT FILMS OF MARION DAVIES book on Amazon

Unread post by Harlowgold » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:02 pm

bobfells wrote:
Harlowgold wrote:
bobfells wrote:I've published several color photo books through CreateSpace and did all the layout and design myself. (I know - it looks like it!). Anyway, the answer is yes, even if you want to use color on only one page the entire book must be checked for color. There's also a flat rate for color (as with b/w only higher) so an author may feel that to justify the higher retail price imposed by CreateSpace then a certain broader use of color should be made.

Now I'll tell you a secret: I have published with both Createspace and Barnes & Noble's Nook Press. The terms are similar but Nook offers hardcover as well as paperback. But the real surprise is that color photos look better with Nook than with Create Space.
Thanks, I figured you would have to go "all color" to get some color. I ordered five Createspace books through my library to get a feel for what they look like and did notice that the "all color" book did not reproduce the color particularly well, looked about the same quality as a color image printed off a library computer. The Davies book's color was much better with the photos being smaller and with beautiful background design on those pages.
Actually, most of the color books I sell are in the Kindle format anyway and the images look great on the reader, iphone or PC. Nook Press has the advantage on printed color.
Wow, that''s a surprise to me. I personally don't see the appeal of buying a Kindle book when you can usually have a hard copy for the same price. And I've been rather reluctant to consider letting something available as an e book as many movie-oriented books on Amazon.com have gotten bad reviews because the formatting is apparently often wrong and hard to read as an e book, likely not the author's fault and unfair anyway as they are not reviewing the book but the format.

User avatar
drednm
Posts: 7588
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:41 pm
Location: Belgrade Lakes, ME

Re: THE SILENT FILMS OF MARION DAVIES book on Amazon

Unread post by drednm » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:27 pm

My designer tells me that the formatting is completely different for an ebook with illustrations. When I tried to upload this one, all the "layers" appeared as separated images and totally screwed the book, so no ebook. It can be done, but it's a completely separate design job.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com" target="_blank

Post Reply