4th Istanbul Silent Movie Days festival to bring forgotten c

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
silentfilm

4th Istanbul Silent Movie Days festival to bring forgotten c

Unread post by silentfilm » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:31 pm

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/4th-is ... een-124107

4th Istanbul Silent Movie Days festival to bring forgotten classics to big screen
ISTANBUL

The fourth Istanbul Silent Movie Days will bring remastered international silent movies to various Istanbul art venues from Dec. 14-17, with a special focus on “dance,” state-run Anadolu Agency has reported.

“Our schedule consists of remastered movies relevant to today’s world. The remastered movies first go on global tour, and then when it’s our turn they come to Istanbul,” said Nagehan Uskan, the event’s art director.

Uskan stressed that the silent movie experience, mostly consisting of short comedies, does not prohibit sound, and a smattering of live music will accompany many of the screenings.

This year’s event will also feature never-seen-before movies picked from various movie archives, she added.

“Our research focuses on following silent movie festivals across the world in order to bring films to an Istanbul audience. We have also invited musicians and archivists,” Uskan said.

Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton and other silent movie legends, as well as a documentary in “The Ottoman Empire Chronicles” section of the event, will hit the screens during the event.

Istanbul Silent Movie Days Coordinator Can Koç said the experience will go beyond silent movie screenings.

Foreign and local academics, researchers and curators will make presentations for each movie, and the impact of dance – a primitive form of human expression – on cinema’s early days will be analyzed during the event.

The festival, organized by Kino Istanbul, is partnered by Italy’s famous Cineteca di Bologna and the Netherlands’ respected Eye Film Museum.

Turkey’s Culture and Tourism Ministry Cinema Directorate supports the organization, as does Akbank Art, the Italian and French Culture Institutes and bomontiada ALT. The aforementioned organizations will welcome guests in Istanbul with a special visual and audio show.

http://www.akbanksanat.com/en/internati ... -film-days

International Istanbul
Silent Film Days

International Istanbul Silent Film Days

The 4th International Istanbul Silent Cinema Days, a unique showcase of silent cinema in Turkey, will take place on 14-17 December 2017 in Akbank Sanat, French Institute and bomontiada ALT. This year’s festival theme is Dance! The festival is organized by Kino Istanbul in collaboration with Cineteca di Bologna and Eye Filmmuseum; and supported by the Ministry of Culture and Tourism, Goethe Institute, Consulate General of the Republic of Poland, Italian Institute, Consulate General of Switzerland, French Institute, Cinemateque Française and Filmoteka Narodowa.

All films during the festival are accompanied by live music and introduced to the audience by local and foreign scholars of cinema, film researchers and archive curators. Between the dates of 14-16 December, the restored versions of silent films from various archives around the world will be presented in Akbank Sanat along with side events related to the theme of dance and silent cinema. The music will be performed by the world famous silent cinema musicians including John Sweeney, Günter Buchwald, Frank Bockius, and Daniele Furlati among others.

Adult: 18 TL / Student: 12 TL

Tickets will be available at the venue during the festival or through Biletix.com.

Die Weber - 14 December Thursday, 13.00
A Selection of Dance Films - 14 December Thursday, 16.00
Spanish Dancer - 14 December Thursday, 19.00
The Dumb Girl of Portici - 15 December Friday, 13.00
Bestia: Polish Dancer - 15 December Friday, 16.00
Phono-Cinéma-Théâtre - 15 December Friday, 19.00
Die Puppe - 16 December Saturday, 11.00
The Goat - 16 December Saturday, 13.00
Neigbors - 16 December Saturday, 13.00
Views From Ottoman Empire - 16 December Saturday, 15.00
Mania - 16 December Saturday, 17.00
Letters from Baghdad - 16 December Saturday, 19.30

drednm

Re: 4th Istanbul Silent Movie Days festival to bring forgott

Unread post by drednm » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:14 am

Might be a tad far to go.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com" target="_blank

R Michael Pyle

Unread post by R Michael Pyle » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:57 am

drednm wrote:Might be a tad far to go.
Oh, I don't know, Ed. At our age, a swimming jaunt in the Bosphorus is good exercise in the morning. Keep us trim. And just think, silence at the...end...or maybe a nice score by one of the board members...

drednm

Unread post by drednm » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:05 am

R Michael Pyle wrote:
Oh, I don't know, Ed. At our age, a swimming jaunt in the Bosphorus is good exercise in the morning. Keep us trim. And just think, silence at the...end...or maybe a nice score by one of the board members...
You couldn't PAY me to get on a plane again....
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com" target="_blank

Frederica

Unread post by Frederica » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:33 am

Not for me! Hope they have one next year.
Fred
"Screw the men. I've got the horse."
Helen B. (Penny) Chenery
http://www.nitanaldi.com" target="_blank"
http://www.facebook.com/NitaNaldiSilentVamp" target="_blank"

Donald Binks

Unread post by Donald Binks » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:33 pm

drednm wrote:
R Michael Pyle wrote:
You couldn't PAY me to get on a plane again....
Aeroplanes have come a long way since the Sopwith Camels Ed. I last travelled to and from the U.S., on an Airbus A380 and it was not too bad an experience, mind, I was in Business Class, so I suppose that helped. (I first went to the U.S., by aeroplane on a Lockheed Super Constellation back in the nontoon foofties - it took three days!)
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,
she won't polish them..."You know what she's like." So I said:..."