Australian National Film & Sound Archives - New direction

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
Brooksie

Australian National Film & Sound Archives - New direction

Unread post by Brooksie » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:46 pm

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-new ... 0ru0r.html

Jan Müller, formerly of EYE in Amsterdam, is the latest to take up the somewhat troubled reins of the National Film and Sound Archive in Canberra (it's an institution that has been underfunded and generally pushed around for years), and has set out his ambitions for its future in the above article. This includes plans to fully digitise the collection (a welcome development if it happens) and a plan to move from their lovely Art Deco headquarters.

I can't quite follow his rationale for that particular plan, but if he succeeds in gaining back any of the momentum behind classic Australian film that seems to have been lost since the brief burst of interest during the 70s and 80s, I will welcome it.

Donald Binks

Re: Australian National Film & Sound Archives - New directio

Unread post by Donald Binks » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:54 pm

Brooksie wrote:http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-new ... 0ru0r.html

Jan Müller, formerly of EYE in Amsterdam, is the latest to take up the somewhat troubled reins of the National Film and Sound Archive in Canberra (it's an institution that has been underfunded and generally pushed around for years), and has set out his ambitions for its future in the above article. This includes plans to fully digitise the collection (a welcome development if it happens) and a plan to move from their lovely Art Deco headquarters.

I can't quite follow his rationale for that particular plan, but if he succeeds in gaining back any of the momentum behind classic Australian film that seems to have been lost since the brief burst of interest during the 70s and 80s, I will welcome it.
Anything, anything at all that may get this institution funded and the public at large made aware of it would be welcomed. It has been in a lamentable state for years and that is not to deride those dedicated people who do the best they can with hardly any money at all.

I had dealings with the NFSA back in the late 1970's and early 80's and I know how hard they all worked back then to try and get things done. At about that time a friend of mine had died and left a vast gramophone record collection to them - with many rarities. It was unfortunate that with the appalling lack of funding and with a whole stack of other priorities, they were unable to do very little with the collection other than leave all the records stacked up in a draught ridden and damp old warehouse for years. In my case, they gave me wonderful assistance with a nitrate print of one of Richard Tauber's early German films found in rural Victoria.

Money to release some of the films on to DVD would be welcomed. The last time anything reached the public was on videotape - and that was years back.

It will be interesting to see what happens and I wish the new bloke at the helm all the best.
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,
she won't polish them..."You know what she's like." So I said:..."

moviepas

Unread post by moviepas » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:04 am

The last time anything reached the public was on videotape - and that was years back.
Don't know where you got that idea from as they did issue DVDs and one was The Man from Hong Kong with George Lazenby for example and The Glenrowan Affair(Bob Chitty, 1951). They have or had a Blu Ray BD-R of Kid Stakes(1927) and I am in contact from time to time from the man in Adelaide who found that discarded print maybe 40 years ago and got it to the archives. I sold the VHS compilations in my shop back then. A favourite was the Efftee Entertainers tape. I knew Jack O'Hagan briefly

They did knock Mike Brady back when he offered them his jingle workshop archive. He said he was paying about $10,000 a year in storage costs and it was then beyond what he could afford anymore. He then had to dump it all. Twelve months later they wanted it and it was too late.

I supplied films for their film lending library in the 1970s that were non-Australian classics. My contacts were ray Edmondson & Ted Vellacott. I also sold cartoons to the director of the time as it was his hobby. I think he ended up at the BFI in London. The boss of the Melbourne office was Ken Berryman and they had more moves around the city than I have had hot dinners, well at least 4-6 times I know of. I knew Marianne Doyle who looked after incoming films and had come from ABC Archives she was cataloguing. I went to the opening party of the first one in the city centre. I gave them rare 16mm TV shows from the ABC(Evie Hayes, Annette Klooger) I found and a nitrate of a Ned kelly film from c1934(When the Kelly Rode) with different scenes and title sequences than the archive copy. It was near mint and had been stored in a hot former shop in St Arnaud for a number years that had loads of nitrate 35mm and these 16mm TV shows with mag tracks. There was a farm not far from there that had a large collection of film and the elderly owner and his wife used to conduct school tours and give the kids soup etc until insurance restrictions outlawed the tours. No idea what happened to that collection which I never saw.

They have made deals with Umbrella to release many titles which includes the Charles Chauvel Collection which was a gamble but it was done with Jedda on Blu Ray as well. Coming shortly is the Blu Ray restoration of The Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith.

Donald Binks

Unread post by Donald Binks » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:36 pm

moviepas wrote:The last time anything reached the public was on videotape - and that was years back.
Don't know where you got that idea from as they did issue DVDs and one was The Man from Hong Kong with George Lazenby for example and The Glenrowan Affair(Bob Chitty, 1951). They have or had a Blu Ray BD-R of Kid Stakes(1927) ...
Thanks for the up-date and I stand corrected. I suppose I was searching for some of the older items you mentioned such as "Efftee Entertainers" which to my knowledge hasn't come out on a DVD or Blue Ray.

I suppose they have to go for the more modern stuff as no-one would remember those people from our Gloria Sarah Tige - such names as Jack O'Hagen, Bert Bailey, Jack Davey, Roy Rene etc.,....
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,
she won't polish them..."You know what she's like." So I said:..."