Arbuckle: The Round Up (1920)

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
Rodney

Re: Arbuckle: The Round Up (1920)

Unread post by Rodney » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:56 am

Paul E. Gierucki wrote:Sorry for the delay responding, folks. Yes, CineMuseum is only shipping to the US and Canada while it works on a solution to combat the extreme overseas shipping prices. Seriously, the cost to mail the set out of the country is more than that of the set itself. That said, I expect that there will be an alternate solution shortly. Until then, everyone here appreciates your kind patience and understanding.
I have a weird shipping thing where if I want to send a package (say, a silent film calendar) overseas, it's really expensive (like, over $25).

But if someone orders a calendar from overseas through Paypal, the shipping is much cheaper (still expensive, but more like $10.72).

Don't know how Paypal gets the sweetheart deal, probably through automatically standardizing addresses and bar codes; but once when sending a gift to Europe I bought it from myself through Paypal and actually saved money.
Rodney Sauer
The Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
"Let the Music do the Talking!"

moglia

Unread post by moglia » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:54 pm

Paul E. Gierucki wrote:Teaser, Smari. Included in this DVD / BD set is a discount coupon for $5.00 off the Arbuckle Anthology -- which is also on the way!
Nice on both counts!!!

Metaldams

Unread post by Metaldams » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:15 am

Looking forward to receiving this soon! The shipping date was I believe yesterday. Will post my thoughts on the film when it arrives.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... khWDJnWdqx" target="_blank" target="_blank

Click above to see why I'm the loudest silent film fan in the world. \m/

moviepas

Unread post by moviepas » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:41 pm

Don't know how Paypal gets the sweetheart deal, probably through automatically standardizing addresses and bar codes; but once when sending a gift to Europe I bought it from myself through Paypal and actually saved money.

Amazon and Deep Discount get postage deals etc and Mr Trump does not like it and says the US Post Office is going broke supporting those people. I don't agree!!!!! and enjoy a good price for shipping to Australia and fast service because of it. DHL is alo a good choice both use also delivery and price wise.

Roscoe

Unread post by Roscoe » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:49 am

I got the shipping notification on Sunday. As of Wednesday morning, the tracking number continues to indicate that the item is still en route to a USPS facility.
"If you lose this war, don't blame me."

http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com" target="_blank

Rick Lanham

Unread post by Rick Lanham » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:20 am

Roscoe wrote:I got the shipping notification on Sunday. As of Wednesday morning, the tracking number continues to indicate that the item is still en route to a USPS facility.
Ditto.

Rick
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

Roscoe

Unread post by Roscoe » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:15 am

And on Thursday, my package has still not arrived with the USPS...

bigshot

Unread post by bigshot » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:36 am

Shipping notice means that he has generated a label. It's probably one guy shipping all these on his kitchen table. He's probably packing them in batches and hauling them to the post office every day.

Roscoe

Unread post by Roscoe » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:47 am

Point taken, sure, but in that case they should re-consider how they phrase their e-mails. It clearly says "Your Order Has Been Shipped" not "Your Order Is Being Prepared And Will Ship Within The Next Few Days".

Rick Lanham

Unread post by Rick Lanham » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:53 pm

Mine now says: In transit; expected delivery Saturday.

Rick
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

Bob Furem

Unread post by Bob Furem » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:27 pm

From where should I be looking for an e-mail confirmation? I haven't seen one yet.

Paul Penna

Unread post by Paul Penna » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:15 pm

Bob Furem wrote:From where should I be looking for an e-mail confirmation? I haven't seen one yet.
My email was from CineMuseum LLC and contained a clickable tracking number.
Last edited by Paul Penna on Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim Reid

Unread post by Jim Reid » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:19 pm

Mine says it should arrive Saturday the 14th.

Rodney

Unread post by Rodney » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:15 pm

I remember playing for this film once, "cold," at the Buster Keaton Celebration, because I hadn't had time to pre-screen it.

The improv score went fine, but there's a moment that brings chills to every accompanist's heart: a woman sits down at the piano to play from a piece of sheet music, but we haven't seen the music. The setting was a ranch, so I went with "Oh, Give Me a Home Where the Buffalo Roam." After a couple of shots of playing and singing, we finally see the music: it's "My Old Kentucky Home." I made a swift transition, and a chuckle went around the auditorium among those who saw what I did.

Still, it was a mistake, and brought the audience "out of the film" for a moment.

I have no doubt that this film will have the correct music!
Rodney Sauer
The Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
"Let the Music do the Talking!"

moviepas

Unread post by moviepas » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:34 am

I got an email over 12 hours ago saying it had shipped and was given a tracking number. However, there was a boo-boo. My zip was right but my suburb name was wrong. I noted this on the order autofill form and changed the suburb name to mine but for some reason it still had the wrong suburb name. The name used is at least 30mins from my home of 60 plus years. I only hope the Post Office does not return it to USA from Australia because of the error. I contacted the shipper but no response to date.

Roscoe

Unread post by Roscoe » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:46 am

Finally updated -- arrival on Friday, then it changed to Monday. So anyway.

Looking forward to seeing this.

Red Bartlett

Unread post by Red Bartlett » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:18 am

Rodney wrote:I remember playing for this film once, "cold," at the Buster Keaton Celebration, because I hadn't had time to pre-screen it.

The improv score went fine, but there's a moment that brings chills to every accompanist's heart: a woman sits down at the piano to play from a piece of sheet music, but we haven't seen the music. The setting was a ranch, so I went with "Oh, Give Me a Home Where the Buffalo Roam." After a couple of shots of playing and singing, we finally see the music: it's "My Old Kentucky Home." I made a swift transition, and a chuckle went around the auditorium among those who saw what I did.

Still, it was a mistake, and brought the audience "out of the film" for a moment.

I have no doubt that this film will have the correct music!
LOL Close enough!

JLNeibaur

Unread post by JLNeibaur » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:47 pm

Great movie, beautiful restoration, excellent special features.

Here is my review:

http://jln4151.wixsite.com/jlneibaur-wr ... le-feature" target="_blank

Roscoe

Unread post by Roscoe » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:56 am

Paul E. Gierucki wrote:Teaser, Smari. Included in this DVD / BD set is a discount coupon for $5.00 off the Arbuckle Anthology -- which is also on the way!
I looked, but didn't see this in my set.

Red Bartlett

Unread post by Red Bartlett » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:44 am

I can't wait to pick this up. I'm going to try and wait for the full Fatty set though...

Paul Penna

Unread post by Paul Penna » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:49 am

Roscoe wrote:
I looked, but didn't see this in my set.
Me neither.

bigshot

Unread post by bigshot » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:20 am

I asked Paul about the coupon on Facebook and he said that he decided not to do a physical coupon. He is keeping track of who ordered The Round Up and will automatically apply the coupon when they buy the Arbuckle box.

Metaldams

Unread post by Metaldams » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:35 pm

JLNeibaur wrote:Great movie, beautiful restoration, excellent special features.

Here is my review:

http://jln4151.wixsite.com/jlneibaur-wr ... le-feature" target="_blank" target="_blank
Thanks for the wonderful write up.

I just watched THE ROUND UP last night. These pre Kid comedy features fascinate me. It's as if feature comedy hasn't found it's footing yet, yet they're interesting films on their own merit, independent of what came after. Arbuckle shows me here he can play more serious roles relative to what came before and it would be fascinating to see how he would've responded to Chaplin and Lloyd's direction shortly after the scandal. Too bad we'll never know. But yeah, watching this, I'm more inclined to believe he could have made the transition with his ability in a THE ROUND UP to tone down and be serious when needed. Still strange seeing Arbuckle play a comic relief supporting player in a film where he's top billed.

I'm not really a western genre expert by any stretch of the imagination and have never seen a serious feature length silent western, so admittedly my comparisons are limited in that sense. I do feel the restoration and look of the film is absolutely beautiful and I commend you guys and gals who restore this stuff. Thank you. Also thumbs up on the Richard Roberts commentary. I feel like I'm having a beer with the guy learning about the lives of every Hollywood star and big player under the sun in every commentary he does. Always keeping it light and informative.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... khWDJnWdqx" target="_blank" target="_blank

fwtep

Unread post by fwtep » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:54 pm

I got mine and it looks GORGEOUS. The print and transfer is spectacular. I haven't watched it all the way through yet, because of work, so maybe there are parts from other, lesser quality prints, but I don't know. It's well worth getting.

bigshot

Unread post by bigshot » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:25 pm

I don't need a comedian to tone down for features. I'll take them straight up like Fields and the Marxes.

Lonesome Luke

Unread post by Lonesome Luke » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:06 am

bigshot wrote:I don't need a comedian to tone down for features. I'll take them straight up like Fields and the Marxes.
Same here. You don't make better comedy feature films by making them less funny. (That's what serious films are for.) Otherwise, you wouldn't need gag writers.

wich2

Unread post by wich2 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:35 am

Things like Buster's straighter moments in THE GENERAL, and Chaplin's in CITY LIGHTS, are bad?

Smari1989

Unread post by Smari1989 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:04 pm

I'd argue that the comedians who succeeded best in features were the ones who realized, fairly early, that a comedy feature is a different animal from shorts, and requires a share of slightly more "serious" moments in order to make room for character development.

Anyway, really looking forward to THE ROUND-UP, should be here soon I hope.

bigshot

Unread post by bigshot » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:04 pm

wich2 wrote:Things like Buster's straighter moments in THE GENERAL, and Chaplin's in CITY LIGHTS, are bad?
Not bad, but I like Sherlock Jr and The Gold Rush better. And to me, Thalberg wasn't a good influence on the Marx Bros. As it was said in a Woody Allen film... "I like your earlier films... when you were funny."

Metaldams

Unread post by Metaldams » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:14 pm

bigshot wrote:I don't need a comedian to tone down for features. I'll take them straight up like Fields and the Marxes.
When talking about toning down, I simply mean knowing when to play drama and when to play comedy. Of course, I want the pendulum to swing more towards comedy, but as others have stated, Chaplin and Keaton, among others, had both elements in their features very effectively.

In THE ROUND UP, the main issue is Arbuckle gives too much screen time to other characters to move forward with the plot, much like early Abbott and Costello features. But my point about toning down is that he showed he could do drama and possibly would have found that balance with comedy had he been able to make films past 1921.

If you like pure comedy, great, and Paramount Marx Brothers is definitely a place for it, but Fields? Definite drama in his films, especially in YOU'RE TELLING ME (train scene especially), and in the just recently watched RUNNING WILD. Tons of dramatic character development with Fields, yet it never overtakes the comedy.