Pending releases from Flicker Alley

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
Danny Burk

Re: Pending releases from Flicker Alley

Unread post by Danny Burk » Sun May 13, 2018 9:57 am

OK, that's what I thought, thanks. I couldn't imagine that I'd missed it *and* no one here talked about it.

R Michael Pyle

Unread post by R Michael Pyle » Sun May 13, 2018 10:57 am

Sorry, that's the one I thought you were speaking of...my mistake...I wasn't reading carefully!

Brooksie

Unread post by Brooksie » Sun May 13, 2018 11:02 pm

There certainly was a stated intention to release the 1928 Ramona, and it was no idle rumour - word came direct from both Rob Stone and Hugh Munro Neely. Why that release is currently stalled is a mystery. Perhaps the discovery of a second (and reportedly superior) print in Europe threw a spanner into the works.

Both gentlemen are occasional visitors to Nitrateville, I wonder if one or other might chime in?

Keatonesque

Unread post by Keatonesque » Mon May 14, 2018 12:30 am

Brooksie wrote:There certainly was a stated intention to release the 1928 Ramona, and it was no idle rumour - word came direct from both Rob Stone and Hugh Munro Neely. Why that release is currently stalled is a mystery. Perhaps the discovery of a second (and reportedly superior) print in Europe threw a spanner into the works.

Both gentlemen are occasional visitors to Nitrateville, I wonder if one or other might chime in?
I thought the second print found was another nitrate from which the initial (Czech) one was possibly copied from? In any case, I hope it gets the BD treatment it deserves. The story recounted here is that this nitrate (2016) is a German print taken by the Russians from the Reichsfilmarchiv at the end of World War II – the same story associated with the Czech print. It has been speculated that the Czech print may be a dupe of the German, or that both prints were taken from Berlin at the same time, with one kept in Moscow and one sent to Prague. Further clarity was not elaborated on so far as I can tell.

From 2016: https://silentlondon.co.uk/2016/05/05/n ... celluloid/

Rodney

Unread post by Rodney » Fri May 18, 2018 5:46 am

Mitch Farish wrote:Ramona (1928) has not been released. I thought the plan was to release the Del Rio silent with other silent versions of Romona, included Pickford's for Biograph in 1910, as extras. I spoke to someone from Milestone about whether they would be releasing this, since they previously released Del Rio's Evangeline (also from Fox). They said they had no plans to release Ramona. Mont Alto has recorded a score, but so far there's been no announcement of a release by anyone.
Timeline Films, Hugh Munro Neely's company, is working on Ramona, not Milestone. I recorded scores for the 1928, 1910, and what survives of the 1916 versions (it's said to be just reel 5, but actually covers quite a lot of the novel). I tweaked the 1928 score to match the more recently discovered Russian tinted nitrate footage. The Czech and Russian prints have different titles, but are otherwise almost identical in content, supporting the theory that one is a copy of the other. A couple of short sections of a burning house that were murky in the Czech print turn out to be tinted deep red in the Russian print.

I haven’t heard news on this release for a while.
Rodney Sauer
The Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
"Let the Music do the Talking!"

Keatonesque

Unread post by Keatonesque » Fri May 18, 2018 3:35 pm

Rodney wrote:
Mitch Farish wrote:Ramona (1928) has not been released. I thought the plan was to release the Del Rio silent with other silent versions of Romona, included Pickford's for Biograph in 1910, as extras. I spoke to someone from Milestone about whether they would be releasing this, since they previously released Del Rio's Evangeline (also from Fox). They said they had no plans to release Ramona. Mont Alto has recorded a score, but so far there's been no announcement of a release by anyone.
Timeline Films, Hugh Munro Neely's company, is working on Ramona, not Milestone. I recorded scores for the 1928, 1910, and what survives of the 1916 versions (it's said to be just reel 5, but actually covers quite a lot of the novel). I tweaked the 1928 score to match the more recently discovered Russian tinted nitrate footage. The Czech and Russian prints have different titles, but are otherwise almost identical in content, supporting the theory that one is a copy of the other. A couple of short sections of a burning house that were murky in the Czech print turn out to be tinted deep red in the Russian print.

I haven’t heard news on this release for a while.
This is disappointing. Timeline has only released DVDs, if I recall, and this film deserves the best HD presentation possible. Would they be the company to release Ramona? I hope someone can get to the bottom of what happened to this important possible release that was rumored and talked about so much up until last year. I heard marvelous things about the prints.

Harold Aherne

Unread post by Harold Aherne » Tue May 22, 2018 4:37 pm

The Garden of Eden is slated for 19 June:
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=23366

Many of you will recall that this film was Flicker Alley's numero uno release in 2002 or so, and it's lovely to see it available again!

--HA

Keatonesque

Unread post by Keatonesque » Tue May 22, 2018 4:56 pm

Harold Aherne wrote:The Garden of Eden is slated for 19 June:
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=23366

Many of you will recall that this film was Flicker Alley's numero uno release in 2002 or so, and it's lovely to see it available again!

--HA
How exciting! I didn't think a title like this would get a full BD treatment, so an MOD BD is better than nothing, and the quality should be fine. There are only a handful of MOD BD's Flicker Alley have put out that I would argue deserved the full BD treatment (Chicago would look even more incredible with a 4K restoration and BD release). More surprises are welcome!

Gagman 66

Unread post by Gagman 66 » Thu May 24, 2018 12:55 am

:o Good to see THE GARDEN OF EDEN final being re-released. However, I was under the impression that the 10 minute Color Dream sequence or at least a few minutes of it had since been found? Hoping against hope that this might be included. Nonetheless, it's nice to have this terrific film back in circulation.

Rob Stone said a few months ago on Facebook that RAMONA was still in the works. "Should be out soon" he added. Although we have been hearing that for at least a couple years now. I wonder if Hugh is having trouble finding a distributor?

Keatonesque

Unread post by Keatonesque » Thu May 24, 2018 2:31 am

Gagman 66 wrote:Rob Stone said a few months ago on Facebook that RAMONA was still in the works. "Should be out soon" he added. Although we have been hearing that for at least a couple years now. I wonder if Hugh is having trouble finding a distributor?
I don't understand why Flicker Alley, KINO, or Milestone wouldn't want to pick this up and distribute it. It would be a sure-seller, certainly as well as any of the Swansons, as the history behind its portrayal of Native Americans (thanks to Edwin Carewe) would be enough to be a convincing selling point. While I'd prefer this one get a pressed BD treatment as opposed to a MOD BD-R, at this point, anything will do. For the best presentation possible of the restoration, I hope one of these companies wants Ramona.

buskeat

Unread post by buskeat » Thu May 24, 2018 3:45 pm

Keatonesque wrote:
Gagman 66 wrote:Rob Stone said a few months ago on Facebook that RAMONA was still in the works. "Should be out soon" he added. Although we have been hearing that for at least a couple years now. I wonder if Hugh is having trouble finding a distributor?
I don't understand why Flicker Alley, KINO, or Milestone wouldn't want to pick this up and distribute it. It would be a sure-seller, certainly as well as any of the Swansons, as the history behind its portrayal of Native Americans (thanks to Edwin Carewe) would be enough to be a convincing selling point. While I'd prefer this one get a pressed BD treatment as opposed to a MOD BD-R, at this point, anything will do. For the best presentation possible of the restoration, I hope one of these companies wants Ramona.
Who owns the rights? Sometimes rights owners have an unrealistic idea of how much video companies would pay to license the film?

Keatonesque

Unread post by Keatonesque » Thu May 24, 2018 4:08 pm

buskeat wrote:
Keatonesque wrote:
Who owns the rights? Sometimes rights owners have an unrealistic idea of how much video companies would pay to license the film?
I heard Warner but I also assumed it was probably PD.
Last edited by Keatonesque on Thu May 24, 2018 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Harold Aherne

Unread post by Harold Aherne » Thu May 24, 2018 6:19 pm

The Del Rio Ramona should be entirely PD, as the underlying work was published in 1884 and the film wasn't renewed. (What remained of) Inspiration Pictures may have sold it to Fox for the 1936 remake, but whoever owned the '28 film in the mid-50s didn't file a renewal.

--HA

Keatonesque

Unread post by Keatonesque » Thu May 24, 2018 6:54 pm

Perhaps (however unlikely) no one wants to distribute the film or make the effort to put together some decent supplements.

Rodney

Unread post by Rodney » Thu May 24, 2018 7:28 pm

Keatonesque wrote:Perhaps (however unlikely) no one wants to distribute the film or make the effort to put together some decent supplements.
No, it'll be released, and it already has some pretty cool supplements (in the form of the two earlier versions of Ramona, and a "Picture Show Souvenir" booklet that I found on ebay). We recorded the tie-in song (which, like Hugo Riesenfeld at the L.A. premiere, we didn't use in our film score), and I know the sing-along slides for that survive, so they could add that. There was a gorgeous full-color program book with paintings based on publicity stills that would be nice to have, but I've been unable to locate anything more than low-res scans on the internet. Hugh may have had more success. (Those pictures, with exceedingly purple prose, appear in this video attached to the song as sung by Gene Austin).

I did a trek in Zion National Park when I played at the Springdale Utah library, and located and photographed several locations from Ramona, and put a John Bengston-style then/now video together. I've offered that for the release as well. I wish I had modern-day photos of the Mission San Juan Capistrano locations, but that's a bit far from me here in Colorado...

If I run into Hugh at the SF SFF I'm sure we'll be talking about this, and I'll report back if I learn anything.
Rodney Sauer
The Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
"Let the Music do the Talking!"

Keatonesque

Unread post by Keatonesque » Fri May 25, 2018 3:16 pm

Rodney wrote:
Keatonesque wrote:Perhaps (however unlikely) no one wants to distribute the film or make the effort to put together some decent supplements.
No, it'll be released, and it already has some pretty cool supplements (in the form of the two earlier versions of Ramona, and a "Picture Show Souvenir" booklet that I found on ebay). We recorded the tie-in song (which, like Hugo Riesenfeld at the L.A. premiere, we didn't use in our film score), and I know the sing-along slides for that survive, so they could add that. There was a gorgeous full-color program book with paintings based on publicity stills that would be nice to have, but I've been unable to locate anything more than low-res scans on the internet. Hugh may have had more success. (Those pictures, with exceedingly purple prose, appear in this video attached to the song as sung by Gene Austin).

I did a trek in Zion National Park when I played at the Springdale Utah library, and located and photographed several locations from Ramona, and put a John Bengston-style then/now video together. I've offered that for the release as well. I wish I had modern-day photos of the Mission San Juan Capistrano locations, but that's a bit far from me here in Colorado...

If I run into Hugh at the SF SFF I'm sure we'll be talking about this, and I'll report back if I learn anything.
Thanks for all the effort. Fingers crossed for good news.

Keatonesque

Unread post by Keatonesque » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:03 pm

Flicker Alley released details for their release of LITTLE ANNIE ROONEY (1925) and FANCHON THE CRICKET (1915).

https://www.flickeralley.com/classic-mo ... y=20414531
RELEASE DATE: NOVEMBER 6, 2018 – BLU-RAY/DVD COMBO / 114 MINS.

Mary Pickford plays a “tomboy of the tenements” in this comedy drama, which she also wrote. Filmed over ten weeks, Little Annie Rooney was shot entirely on a set created by art director John D. Schulze at the Pickford Fairbanks Studio. Co-starring William Haines and a wide-ranging, multi-ethnic cast, Little Annie Rooney met with huge critical and commercial success upon its original release, proving fans and critics alike wanted the then 33-year old Mary to stay a child forever.

Created from the original tinted nitrate print in Mary Pickford’s personal collection at the Library of Congress, Little Annie Rooney was preserved photochemically by the Academy Film Archive. A new 35mm preservation master was then scanned at 4K high definition so that the Mary Pickford Foundation, in cooperation with AMPAS, could create a digital version to perfectly match the original nitrate tints and tones. Andy Gladbach composed a new, original soundtrack for the film, which features a 12 piece orchestra, including three percussionists.

Little Annie Rooney includes a souvenir booklet featuring rare photographs and essays by Cari Beauchamp.

https://www.flickeralley.com/classic-mo ... y=20414531
RELEASE DATE: NOVEMBER 6, 2018 – BLU-RAY/DVD COMBO / 115 MINS.

Fanchon the Cricket, based on an “adult fairy tale” by George Sand, stars Mary Pickford as the title character, a strong-willed waif ostracized by “acceptable” society” until she shows them the power of love and understanding. Directed by James Kirkwood and boasting exquisite cinematography by Edward Wynard, Fanchon the Cricket was filmed on location in Delaware Gap, Pennsylvania. A natural, sensual and uninhibited Pickford breaks through today’s stereotype of her as “the girl with the curls.” It is also the only surviving film in which both siblings Jack Pickford and Lottie Pickford are featured alongside their sister.

Once believed to be a lost film, Fanchon the Cricket’s restoration is the result of a unique international collaboration between the Mary Pickford Foundation, the Cinematheque Francaise and the British Film Institute. A new negative and 35MM prints were created from the restored digital version and are paired with a new, original score by Julian Ducatenzeiler and Andy Gladbach, comissioned by the Mary Pickford Foundation.

Fanchon the Cricket includes a souvenir booklet featuring rare photographs and essays by Cari Beauchamp.
One can only hope that ROSITA will be next.

maliejandra

Unread post by maliejandra » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:25 am

Hooray! I was be preordering the Mary movies.

R Michael Pyle

Unread post by R Michael Pyle » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:31 am

I pre-ordered these yesterday. Make sure you pre-order from Flicker Alley, as you'll save $10 per film. If you pre-order from Amazon they're the regular price!

By the way, I also noticed that there are two Rudolph Valentino SETS available in what appears to be something still ongoing; there may be future Blu-Rays of Valentino films that continue this series. They're on sale through Oldies.com, vol 1 and vol 2, both in Blu-Ray. These are listed as new on the Oldies site. I've never noticed them before. Did I just miss them? They're from Flicker Alley originally, too.

Jess McGrath

Unread post by Jess McGrath » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:06 pm

Is that running time for FANCHON THE CRICKET correct? LOC lists it as a 5-reel feature, but the running time is close to two hours?