THE BIRTH OF A NATION BD, May 22.

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
Scoundrel

THE BIRTH OF A NATION BD, May 22.

Unread post by Scoundrel » Wed May 09, 2018 3:52 am

" You can't take life too seriously...you'll never get out of it alive."

Blackhawk Films customer

Roscoe

Re: THE BIRTH OF A NATION BD, May 22.

Unread post by Roscoe » Wed May 09, 2018 9:10 am

This looks like a US release of the Region 2 version -- which I own, and which is most worth owning if you're interested in the film.
"If you lose this war, don't blame me."

http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com" target="_blank

Scoundrel

Unread post by Scoundrel » Wed May 09, 2018 10:53 am

This one is region free, tinted and I would not have included such a biased, damning review on the back cover art.

Blackhawk Films customer

Keatonesque

Unread post by Keatonesque » Wed May 09, 2018 12:38 pm

Scoundrel wrote:This one is region free, tinted and I would not have included such a biased, damning review on the back cover art.
If the review is damning, it is only because the film itself earned it. It's nothing new, as it was rightfully condemned as such even in its own time. Besides, Twilight Time are still releasing the film, and likely invested quite a bit to make this happen, aside from the review not discounting the film's legacy as "groundbreaking" and "perhaps the most original and influential work of art" in the film industry at that time. It could've mentioned the film's role in the revival of the KKK, but left that out in favor of a somewhat more subtle condemnation. Damning with faint praise, perhaps, but well deserved. Personally, I would've much rather preferred not another release of this brilliant monstrosity, but rather either of these 20s masterpieces that I (and others) believe to be his finest work: Isn't Life Wonderful (1924) and Lady of the Pavements (1929).

Scott J

Unread post by Scott J » Wed May 09, 2018 7:37 pm

"The most egregiously racist film ever made...now in a beautifully restored limited edition" :lol:

All kidding aside, I completely understand their need to watch their back on this.

Nosferatu

Unread post by Nosferatu » Thu May 10, 2018 11:10 am

Racist or Truthist? In an interview it was intended as an honest portrayal. Some good looking extras. 3,000 limited copies. Act now!

Arndt

Unread post by Arndt » Thu May 10, 2018 11:20 am

We all know what this film is and I guess we are mature enough to decide whether to buy and watch it. If this is the same restoration that the bfi released and you have not seen it, I would go for it. It looks amazing.
"The greatest cinematic experience is the human face and it seems to me that silent films can teach us to read it anew." - Wim Wenders

jacksonwalker2000

Unread post by jacksonwalker2000 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:01 am

All Darc

Unread post by All Darc » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:48 am

Is this from some extras ? I presume it is... from a earlier restoration :

Reports said it was restored from camera negatives, and even in 1915 the need for new prints was so high that they worned the camera negatives and had to make new prints shooting from original prints (making internegative and then new prints) reducing the quality.
So in 1921 the prints was all from poor internegatives and as result very poor looking, since there was no good film duplication materials back then. Unless some of the prints from 1921 was made after some repair in the camera negative (fix tears and broken sprocket holes).

The comparisom probably show the difference in quality, compared to dupe print.

http://images4.static-bluray.com/review ... _1080p.jpg" target="_blank

http://images.static-bluray.com/reviews ... _1080p.jpg" target="_blank

http://www.brentonfilm.com/articles/the ... estoration" target="_blank

"In late 2014, I spent eight days at the National Audio-Visual Conservation Centre of the Library of Congress, in Culpeper, Virginia, going through their extensive nitrate holdings for Birth. Chief amongst these materials is the original negative. When the film was reissued with sound, it had been retitled, recut, and shortened. To accommodate the faster projection speed required for sound, some sections of the neg were replaced with copies that had been stretch-printed. The original negative (most reels of which survived) reflected all these changes. As if still having that negative after 100 years wasn’t incredible enough, they also had, to my astonishment, much original negative material that had been cut or replaced in making the sound version, together with many out-takes. Alongside these negatives, they also had numerous positive reels, mainly from the late ’20s."
jacksonwalker2000 wrote:Review of this Blu-ray is up: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Birth ... 34/#Review
Keep thinking...

All Darc

Unread post by All Darc » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:49 am

It's the same transfer&restoration as the BFI blu ray.

People will buy again if in the future they decide to restore from the original camera negative.
Keep thinking...

Scoundrel

Unread post by Scoundrel » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:29 am

The restoration IS from the original negative...

Blackhawk Films customer

milefilms

Unread post by milefilms » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:27 am

I'll make sure to take Ambien before I watch it.
Dennis Doros
Milestone F&V