Big Board Software Update

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Re: Big Board Software Update

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:23 pm

Don't know if this is a change, but have the "Save draft" and "Submit" buttons been flipped? I keep moving the cursor to the left to upload my postings, only to find "Submit" on the right.
Yes, they seem to be. You'll be retrained quickly :)
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

Jim Roots

Unread post by Jim Roots » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:27 pm

Mike Gebert wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:23 pm
Don't know if this is a change, but have the "Save draft" and "Submit" buttons been flipped? I keep moving the cursor to the left to upload my postings, only to find "Submit" on the right.
Yes, they seem to be. You'll be retrained quickly :)
I resist submission. The rebel in me isn't dead yet. I am Spartacus!

Jim

boblipton

Unread post by boblipton » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:33 pm

Yes he is. Nail him up.

Bob
Look into the pewter pot
To see the world as the world's not.

-- A.E. Housman

Smari1989

Unread post by Smari1989 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:39 pm

Wasn't aware of this change until now, but it looks good to me!
My comic strip may be followed here: http://www.ticklishtowncomics.tumblr.com

MoviecollectorOH

Unread post by MoviecollectorOH » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:37 pm

What upgrade??

Good job. :)

Brooksie

Unread post by Brooksie » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:22 am

Small problem: when I've attempted to post in some threads, a message appears telling me I'm 'permanently banned' from the board, based on my IP address.

Clearly the site is letting me post in some cases, or you wouldn't be reading this message, but there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to when it will let me and when it won't.

Aside from that, the update looks fine - though I too look forward to the return of the 'View Newest Posts' functionality if it's possible to restore it. I've tried viewing the site on my Android phone and it looks OK, except that the header is squished into the wrong aspect ratio (and also, we're back with Dietrich and Von Sternberg rather than this month's picture).

Wm. Charles Morrow

Unread post by Wm. Charles Morrow » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:32 am

Brooksie wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:22 am
Small problem: when I've attempted to post in some threads, a message appears telling me I'm 'permanently banned' from the board, based on my IP address.
You too, eh? This morning when I attempted to simply visit the site, I received that same message. Permanently banned. Geez, was it something I said?

P.S. Needless to add, I got in just now. Presumably all is forgiven.
-- Charlie Morrow

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:40 am

Probably whatever service you each use has a range of IP addresses and you just happened to get one that was banned. Here's what you can do to help us solve the issue:

1) Attempt to post, and get this message again
2) Search "what IP" at Google. This will display your IP address.
3) PM me or send it to me at [email protected] and I will unblock that address.
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

Wm. Charles Morrow

Unread post by Wm. Charles Morrow » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:55 am

Mike Gebert wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:40 am
Probably whatever service you each use has a range of IP addresses and you just happened to get one that was banned. Here's what you can do to help us solve the issue:

1) Attempt to post, and get this message again
2) Search "what IP" at Google. This will display your IP address.
3) PM me or send it to me at [email protected] and I will unblock that address.
Thanks, Mike. I'm now at a different computer, but when I'm back at the "banned" one I'll let you know if there's still a problem.
-- Charlie Morrow

Danny Burk

Unread post by Danny Burk » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:05 am

Sorry, folks - that was probably my doing. Our neighborhood Russian spammer has been on a rampage, and I blocked a few of his IP addresses last night. They didn't appear to be used for legitimate purposes, but apparently a few of them were. Fortunately, I kept a list and reversed those changes this morning, so things should now be back as they were. Apologies for the inconvenience!

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:31 pm

Okay, we have a View New Posts button now, we have the entire masthead area as a big home button to take you back to the main board, and we had Mark All Posts Read all along, it's just called Mark Forums Read now. So I think we're all good. Let me know if you spot anything else but I think this was a smooth transition.

CoffeeDan

Unread post by CoffeeDan » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:25 pm

One feature lost in this update is that links open in a separate window.

Right now, if you click on a link, it opens in the same window and the board disappears, so you have to use the "back" button to get back to the board instead of just closing the window.

I requested this fix in the last update, but this time I would extend the fix so that signature links open in separate windows, too.

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:44 pm

Okay, that's a good one.

I'm off to Capitolfest tomorrow, so use the next few days to play around and make any other comments, and then Ill make another list of things for them to look at.

Thanks.

Wm. Charles Morrow

Unread post by Wm. Charles Morrow » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:28 pm

Something else I just noticed, belatedly: after the upgrade yesterday, the masthead I'm seeing has reverted to Josef Von Sternberg & Marlene Dietrich from last month; Kim Hunter & David Niven have vanished.

Is that the case for anyone else? Or everyone else?
-- Charlie Morrow

boblipton

Unread post by boblipton » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:38 pm

By Jingo, so it did!

Bob
Look into the pewter pot
To see the world as the world's not.

-- A.E. Housman

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:43 pm

Oh jeez, just looked straight past that. Will go fix.

UPDATE: Okay, turns out that has changed and I don't know how to. Will investigate.

Javier

Unread post by Javier » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:22 pm

Thanks to everybody involved in the effort to make Nitrateville the place to get our daily dose of Cinema news.
This is my first post since the software update.
Marlene & Von Stenberg are enjoying the second turn on the masthead. 8)
"it's a Kafka high, you feel like a bug"

Jim Roots

Unread post by Jim Roots » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:17 am

I'm not sure if the "view new posts" button is working perfectly. It appears to call up every single thread ever started on NV. The "new posts" aspect of it all is that the threads are arranged in descending order of recentness.

P.S. Still having trouble remembering that the "Submit" button is on the right now! Resist conformity, comrades!

Jim

Danny Burk

Unread post by Danny Burk » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:04 am

Jim Roots wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:17 am
I'm not sure if the "view new posts" button is working perfectly. It appears to call up every single thread ever started on NV. The "new posts" aspect of it all is that the threads are arranged in descending order of recentness.

P.S. Still having trouble remembering that the "Submit" button is on the right now! Resist conformity, comrades!

Jim
It's working fine here (Chrome) - anyone else having this problem?

After you've read everything that you want, try doing "Mark Forums Read", then log in again to see if that fixes it.

missdupont

Unread post by missdupont » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:30 am

I just hit view new posts after I posted this (and before editing as I am now), and my original post did not show up. When I just signed in in Safari as well, I got not secure in red at the top. Second edit: when I hit new posts, it does not show the new ones I just created, those topics disappear completely in the items below.

Paul Penna

Unread post by Paul Penna » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:08 am

Jim Roots wrote:
It was like that for me as well until I clicked “Mark forums read.” Apparently the members' reading history didn't migrate with the upgrade. Or something.

Paul Penna

Unread post by Paul Penna » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:14 am

missdupont wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:30 am
I just hit view new posts after I posted this (and before editing as I am now), and my original post did not show up. When I just signed in in Safari as well, I got not secure in red at the top. Second edit: when I hit new posts, it does not show the new ones I just created, those topics disappear completely in the items below.
My post above didn't come up in “View new posts,” either; perhaps the system now automatically considers all posts we ourselves write to have been read by us. Makes sense in a way.

Danny Burk

Unread post by Danny Burk » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:14 am

missdupont wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:30 am
1) When you make a new post, then hit "new posts", the one that you just made will already be considered "old" and won't show up...it's always been that way (for me, at least). You can check "Your Posts" and it will show up there if it posted as it should.

2) I changed my bookmark awhile ago from www.nitrateville.com to https://nitrateville.com/index.php, and now it always shows as secure (again, for me, anyway)...give that a try. I'm on Chrome, if it makes a difference.

Histogram

Unread post by Histogram » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:41 am

Danny Burk wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:14 am
When you make a new post, then hit "new posts", the one that you just made will already be considered "old" and won't show up...it's always been that way (for me, at least). You can check "Your Posts" and it will show up there if it posted as it should.
The confusion is caused by: "View new posts" is, in fact, only showing new _unread_ posts. The "unread" part is not stated in the "View new posts" link. In practice, if a user has been following a particular thread and has read it recently, then later wants to refer back to it, it will not appear under "View new posts" until someone else posts something new. That's because the user has already read the thread, there is nothing new yet, and it drops off the end of the "View new posts" list. There is nothing obvious nor intuitive about this. If I read a thread today that had a message posted earlier today, then later try to "View new posts", that thread should not disappear from the list.

It would be better to give users control over whether they view _all_ new posts (both read and unread); or view only new _unread_ posts.

Jim Roots

Unread post by Jim Roots » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:59 am

Paul Penna wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:08 am
Jim Roots wrote:
It was like that for me as well until I clicked “Mark forums read.” Apparently the members' reading history didn't migrate with the upgrade. Or something.
Makes sense. I'll give it a shot.

Jim

Jim Roots

Unread post by Jim Roots » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:04 pm

Jim Roots wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:59 am
Paul Penna wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:08 am
Jim Roots wrote:
Makes sense. I'll give it a shot.

Jim
It woiks!

Jim

Paul Penna

Unread post by Paul Penna » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:01 pm

This session I had Nitrateville open in a new browser tab; the tab was labeled “(1) Nitrateville”. A numbered tag like that usually indicates that a site has a PM or other notification for you, and there's usually also some alert to that effect on the site's home page - like a red dot next to your username.

I didn't see an alert on the Nitrateville page itself, and my PM box didn't have anything new. But knowing I had responded to a post in this thread by Jim Roots, I checked and found that he quoted me in a reply. A quote usually generates a notification to the quotee on most forums. Once I had read his reply, the (1) disappeared from the browser tab.

If there was an alert on the home page, I overlooked it. But if not, it would be something to implement.

Roseha

Unread post by Roseha » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:37 pm

Mike and all the mods, first of all thanks for taking care of the upgrade.
I only notice one thing. I am viewing on an iPad Air just upgraded to IOS 11.4.1. When I hold the tablet horizontally in both Chrome and Safari, everything looks great. When I turn the tablet to view vertically however, the banner looks “squished” on both browsers. Maybe the web host can help out with this? Thanks again.
- Rosemary

missdupont

Unread post by missdupont » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:12 pm

I agree with Histogram's point below:
The confusion is caused by: "View new posts" is, in fact, only showing new _unread_ posts. The "unread" part is not stated in the "View new posts" link. In practice, if a user has been following a particular thread and has read it recently, then later wants to refer back to it, it will not appear under "View new posts" until someone else posts something new. That's because the user has already read the thread, there is nothing new yet, and it drops off the end of the "View new posts" list. There is nothing obvious nor intuitive about this. If I read a thread today that had a message posted earlier today, then later try to "View new posts", that thread should not disappear from the list.

It would be better to give users control over whether they view _all_ new posts (both read and unread); or view only new _unread_ posts.

I like to see that my post has actually been added to the post, I don't want to consider it an old post and read.

missdupont

Unread post by missdupont » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:17 pm

Also, I normally don't sign in when I come to visit the site, so I don't see view new posts unless I sign in. I'm sure there are many lookers who are the same way, most who read the site and never post a thing, so they will have to sign up to see new posts.