Big Board Software Update

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
Danny Burk

Re: Big Board Software Update

Unread post by Danny Burk » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:41 pm

I'll leave these for Mike upon his return; changes would probably have to be done by the hosting company unless Mike is able to do some tweaks himself.

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:05 pm

Some of this is happening at a level well above NitrateVille. If things work differently in PhpBB 3.2.2 (the latest) vs. how they did in PhpBB 2.whatever we had, then the general consensus of the open source community that comes up with this stuff decided to change it. Not much we can do about that, normally (unless someone writes the plugin that changes it again).

One of the problems for me has always been, if I'm logged in as me, it's hard for me to see what anyone may be seeing under different circumstances. (For instance, we have a user agreement which I have not laid eyes upon for years—to see it, I'd have to log out and then attempt a new registration.) So bear with me as I quiz you about some of this stuff which is unfamiliar to me.
Also, I normally don't sign in when I come to visit the site, so I don't see view new posts unless I sign in.
Wait, did you see a personal list of "new posts" without logging in? I guess that's possible (it must mean it used a cookie to track you anyway) but I'm a little surprised if it worked that way. I think getting something tailored to your previous usage requires logging in.
"View new posts" is, in fact, only showing new _unread_ posts. The "unread" part is not stated in the "View new posts" link. In practice, if a user has been following a particular thread and has read it recently, then later wants to refer back to it, it will not appear under "View new posts" until someone else posts something new. That's because the user has already read the thread, there is nothing new yet, and it drops off the end of the "View new posts" list. There is nothing obvious nor intuitive about this.
Isn't that how it's always been, though? Basically you're making a distinction between "new posts" (i.e., I've never seen this post) and "recent posts" (i.e., I've read this but it's a topic people are talking about right now). But I don't think we've ever had that functionality, have we?
I didn't see an alert on the Nitrateville page itself, and my PM box didn't have anything new. But knowing I had responded to a post in this thread by Jim Roots, I checked and found that he quoted me in a reply. A quote usually generates a notification to the quotee on most forums. Once I had read his reply, the (1) disappeared from the browser tab.
Right, the upper right corner used to say "1 unread message" or whatever. Paul, can you send me a message so I can see what it does now?
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

silentfilm

Unread post by silentfilm » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:37 pm

If you check the box that says "remember me" when you login, you don't have to sign in every time that you visit.

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:48 pm

Okay, so it used to say X unread messages and does not. I'll add that to the list.
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

missdupont

Unread post by missdupont » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:22 am

I don't keep myself signed in anywhere so if I'm hacked, no one has access to anything. In the past, I always saw view new posts by hitting that button when I came to the site without signing in, so now I must sign in to get the post. Which means as I said that lurkers won't be lurking any more because they will have to create a user name and sign in.

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:32 am

Okay, I'm surprised that that ever worked, and it may well be intended as a privacy improvement (not tracking lurkers), but I'll ask about it.

drednm

Unread post by drednm » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:56 am

Is it just me, or is this new font hard to read?
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com" target="_blank

R Michael Pyle

Unread post by R Michael Pyle » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:08 am

drednm wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:56 am
Is it just me, or is this new font hard to read?
I have exactly the same font, only it's about 3 times larger than it used to be. For me, it's easier to read, actually.

silentfilm

Unread post by silentfilm » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:07 pm

Yes, the new font is larger than before.

One thing that is fixed. It used to be that if you edited a post with a URL in it (and not bracketed by the url marker), that junk would be appended to the web link. That no longer happens.

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:04 pm

I think it's easier to read; it's certainly bigger.

missdupont

Unread post by missdupont » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:47 am

As I've said, I've never signed in to see new posts, and it's the same as Silent comedy Mafia, I hit active posts and see what's new there and I don't have a username there and never sign in. So they are able to do it.

greta de groat

Unread post by greta de groat » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:33 am

I also sometimes used the View active posts if i wanted to take a quick look at recent posts without bothering to sign in.

greta
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat

R Michael Pyle

Unread post by R Michael Pyle » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:34 am

Unless I'm mistaken, there seems to be an awful lot of spam now, early in the morning, on many of the threads. Have I just missed this in the past? Obviously, someone is cleaning up the stuff later because it's usually not there by noon, but I see junk all over this board when I get on at about 6:30 AM to 7:00.

boblipton

Unread post by boblipton » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:40 am

It’s been particularly noxious in the past couple of months and was the cited reason for the software upgrade, and I understand it. Alas, it doesn’t seem to have done much except make it difficult for regulars to sign on.

Bob
Life's too short to sit on our rears watching other people's work.
— Bob Fells

Danny Burk

Unread post by Danny Burk » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:00 am

It's been a difficult situation, thanks to a Russian spammer that doesn't give up. It's the same guy, over and over. There are 4 of us deleting posts; usually he signs up but doesn't post. Several days last week, I deleted around 100 signups per day, all from him. When Mike returns, we'll discuss some new tactics; meanwhile, we're doing our best.

Danny Burk

Unread post by Danny Burk » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:03 am

Speaking of which, I just wiped out another 6 signups, all from the last 15-20 minutes. That makes around 15 this morning. The guy is apparently insane; he never gives up even though we're here deleting as fast as we can.

Histogram

Unread post by Histogram » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:48 pm

Danny Burk wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:03 am
The guy is apparently insane; he never gives up even though we're here deleting as fast as we can.
Presidential election in the US in two years. They are just trying to give us the benefit of some free advice to help with the big decision.

jpaul

Unread post by jpaul » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:55 pm

The header image link is not using https. This is making the site register as insecure if you are using https and obviously if you are trying to login.

Link as of today: http://nitrateville.com/nvmast201807.jpg

Thanks,
Paul

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:29 pm

Okay, the header should be https now. And David and Kim are back at last!

Brooksie

Unread post by Brooksie » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:31 pm

Since this last change, my profile is showing that I have one unread private message. When I go to the inbox, I can't see any new message, and I didn't get an email alert for a PM like I usually do, so I assume it's a mistake. Anyone else having the same problem?

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:36 pm

Look in your browser for "force reload" or "reload page" or something like that, try that a couple of times, and see if it goes away.

missdupont

Unread post by missdupont » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:41 am

I'm now seeing a change which won't go back even if I reload the page I"m on, reload Nitrateville, sign in or out, or even restart the computer when I'm in Safari. If I hit any of the Indexes within the Board or hit new posts, I first get a listing for how many pages there are and I number so I can go to that page, and then with each topic, how many pages there are in the response and a number so that I can select whichever page. The graphics have completely changed, and I've never seen this before, even in the last week of changes.

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:46 am

Bizarre. Can you send me screen captures of this at mikegebert at gmail dot com?

(If you're on a mac, you can take a whole screen capture by pressing shift-command-3, or get the ability to drag and define the area you want to take a picture of with shift-command-4.)

missdupont

Unread post by missdupont » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:07 am

I'll have to do this when I get home, I'm at work now.

Histogram

Unread post by Histogram » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:35 pm

On the mobile version of the site, the first row of controls at the top does not respond to taps.

The controls at the top are things like "User Control Panel", "View new posts", "Your posts", "Members", "Advanced Search", "Logout", and "Private messages". Which of these appear depends on whether you are logged in.

Depending on how wide the screen is, these controls wrap to form one or more rows. However many rows there are, the controls in the top row do not respond to taps.

This is using Firefox for Android. If I tell Firefox to request the desktop site, everything works normally.

mwalls

Unread post by mwalls » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:21 pm

On my phone or iPad I am able to get the links at the top to work but I have to tap two or three times and get them just right.

Matthew

Histogram

Unread post by Histogram » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:37 pm

mwalls wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:21 pm
On my phone or iPad I am able to get the links at the top to work but I have to tap two or three times and get them just right.
Good, that suggests that the geometry of the active area for the top row depends on the device. Your devices may get an active width of two or three pixels so you have to hunt around and get lucky. My device might get an active width of zero or 1 pixel. The active area should be the full area of the buttons, leaving no guesswork.

Roseha

Unread post by Roseha » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:30 pm

By the way the issue with my iPad "squishing" the Masthead (when vertical) was fixed so thanks!
- Rosemary

s.w.a.c.

Unread post by s.w.a.c. » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:07 am

CoffeeDan wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:25 pm
One feature lost in this update is that links open in a separate window.

Right now, if you click on a link, it opens in the same window and the board disappears, so you have to use the "back" button to get back to the board instead of just closing the window.

I requested this fix in the last update, but this time I would extend the fix so that signature links open in separate windows, too.
I'd be in favour of this too, I habitually close a page once I'm done reading it, forgetting that I needed to hit the "back" arrow to get back to Nitrateville.

I'm training myself to right-click and open things in new tabs, but that doesn't always happen before the first coffee.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

Battra92

Unread post by Battra92 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:54 am

So, stupid question. When I now visit the site it says (1) before NitrateVille.com in the tab title. I have no PMs that I can find so what does this even mean?