Big Board Software Update

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
Paul Penna

Re: Big Board Software Update

Unread post by Paul Penna » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:05 pm

Battra92 wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:54 am
So, stupid question. When I now visit the site it says (1) before NitrateVille.com in the tab title. I have no PMs that I can find so what does this even mean?
That happened to me shortly after the upgrade. It turned out that someone had quoted a post of mine, which generated an alert that showed up only via a () number on the tab. Mike investigated and made a change so that an alert for a private message to you placed a red flag next to the "Private messages" link at the right under the masthead. Alerts for other actions involving you or your posts still only show up on the tabs, apparently.

Some forum software (like those used by the Classic Forum Horror Board and the Home Theater Forum) have a "Notifications" icon/link in their headers that gets a red flag for all such things.

Jim Roots

Unread post by Jim Roots » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:05 pm

s.w.a.c. wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:07 am
CoffeeDan wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:25 pm
One feature lost in this update is that links open in a separate window.

Right now, if you click on a link, it opens in the same window and the board disappears, so you have to use the "back" button to get back to the board instead of just closing the window.

I requested this fix in the last update, but this time I would extend the fix so that signature links open in separate windows, too.
I'd be in favour of this too, I habitually close a page once I'm done reading it, forgetting that I needed to hit the "back" arrow to get back to Nitrateville.

I'm training myself to right-click and open things in new tabs, but that doesn't always happen before the first coffee.
Especially if that happens to be Australian coffee you're drinking!

Jim

s.w.a.c.

Unread post by s.w.a.c. » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:31 am

Jim Roots wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:05 pm
s.w.a.c. wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:07 am
I'm training myself to right-click and open things in new tabs, but that doesn't always happen before the first coffee.
Especially if that happens to be Australian coffee you're drinking!
Don't get me started on Australian coffee...it took me ages to figure out that my fave "cup o' joe" at home is a "flat black with cold milk on the side" down under.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

Battra92

Unread post by Battra92 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:48 am

Paul Penna wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:05 pm
Battra92 wrote:
So, stupid question. When I now visit the site it says (1) before NitrateVille.com in the tab title. I have no PMs that I can find so what does this even mean?
That happened to me shortly after the upgrade. It turned out that someone had quoted a post of mine, which generated an alert that showed up only via a () number on the tab. Mike investigated and made a change so that an alert for a private message to you placed a red flag next to the "Private messages" link at the right under the masthead. Alerts for other actions involving you or your posts still only show up on the tabs, apparently.

Some forum software (like those used by the Classic Forum Horror Board and the Home Theater Forum) have a "Notifications" icon/link in their headers that gets a red flag for all such things.
Well that sort of makes sense. The number went up to 2 and then back down to (1). Very strange.

Paul Penna

Unread post by Paul Penna » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:16 pm

Battra92 wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:48 am
Paul Penna wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:05 pm
Battra92 wrote:

Well that sort of makes sense. The number went up to 2 and then back down to (1). Very strange.
I should have added that once I'd found and read the post that contained the quote from me, the () number disappeared from the tab. That's consistent with how forum software notification alerts work.

Jim Roots

Unread post by Jim Roots » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:49 pm

"View new posts" works just fine. However, "Mark topics read" may have a bit of a glitch in it.

Suppose that when I click on "view new posts" I get a list of 15 threads that each have new posts. I check out five of the threads, but don't bother with the other 10 threads. I click on "mark topics read", thinking that will clear out all 15 from the list of new posts. Then I log out.

When I log in again a few hours later, I click on "view new posts", and lo and behold, those 10 unexamined threads are still there, even though nothing new has been posted at any of them in the intervening hours.

Not sure if anyone else has the same experience?

Jim

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:50 pm

Yes, it seems to be defined differently in the software. As in, there probably was a time limit before, at the end of which a thread would drop off, and now it looks like if it's not read, it can stay a "new topic" forever.

So what else do people see that needs fixing or could be improved at this point? Especially people on mobile devices, I don't have a lot of experience with that apart from my own iPhone. Anyone?
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

Paul Penna

Unread post by Paul Penna » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:29 pm

Jim Roots wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:49 pm
Suppose that when I click on "view new posts" I get a list of 15 threads that each have new posts. I check out five of the threads, but don't bother with the other 10 threads. I click on "mark topics read", thinking that will clear out all 15 from the list of new posts. Then I log out.

When I log in again a few hours later, I click on "view new posts", and lo and behold, those 10 unexamined threads are still there, even though nothing new has been posted at any of them in the intervening hours.

Not sure if anyone else has the same experience?
That isn't how it's been working for me. I just now tested it; "View new posts" had given me around 15 threads. Even though I'd only checked out a couple before reading your post, I clicked "Mark forums read" on the main Board Index page (not "Mark topics read" on the individual forum page). When I then clicked "View new posts" on the main Board Index page, nothing came up. It's been working like that for me since the upgrade.

The only things I appear to be doing differently than you seem to be:
1) I'm clicking "Mark forums read" on the Board Index instead of "Mark topics read" on the single forum index, and:
2) I don't log in and out between visits, but use the "remember me" function.

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:14 pm

Okay, but you clicked Mark Posts Read somewhere. And so that resets the "what's new" board.

I almost never clicked Mark Posts Read, anywhere, and yet "what's new" truly was only a small number of things, and if I checked it twice in the same evening, it was often completely empty.
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

Paul Penna

Unread post by Paul Penna » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:38 pm

Mike Gebert wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:14 pm
Okay, but you clicked Mark Posts Read somewhere. And so that resets the "what's new" board.
All I've ever done since the upgrade is click “Mark forums read” on the front page aka Board Index, which is the only place that phrase seems to be used. It always results in an empty Unread posts page,

“Mark all read” is used on the Unread posts page. I never use that.

“Mark topics read” is used on the pages for individual forums. I never use that either.

I don't recall ever seeing “Mark posts read.”

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:06 pm

You clicked Mark Forums Read, and that clears the board.

Paul Penna

Unread post by Paul Penna » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:50 pm

Mike Gebert wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:06 pm
You clicked Mark Forums Read, and that clears the board.
Right, and that's what I want to happen, and it sounds to me that Jim Roots wants that too, but hasn't been able to get it.

He needs to click “Mark Forums read” on the Home aka Board Index page to do it, as you said. It sounds like he's been clicking “Mark topics read,” which appears only on the individual forums and affects only the threads on that one forum. One thing that's leading to the confusion is that what we call “threads” the software calls “topics.”

Jim Roots

Unread post by Jim Roots » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:37 am

I think the act of logging out is having the effect that I experience.

Today the command at "Unread posts" is "mark ALL read". Not "mark topics read" nor "mark forums read".

We'll see what happens when I log out and then log back in again this afternoon.

Jim

Brooksie

Unread post by Brooksie » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:12 pm

It appears there's a manual workaround for making the 'View New Posts' link work as it used to.

Currently, clicking the link takes you to www.nitrateville.com/search.php?search_id=unreadposts, which is a list of all posts that have been made since you last visited, including the ones you did not read previously, which can only be reset by clicking 'Mark Forums Read'.

If you manually change the last part of the link to 'newposts' rather than 'unreadposts' (i.e. www.nitrateville.com/search.php?search_id=newposts), you get only the posts that have been made since you last visited.

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:53 pm

That's great. I assume no one will mind if I have them reset it to go to "new posts."

Jim Roots

Unread post by Jim Roots » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:04 am

The transition from login to board index to "show new posts" is dazzlingly fast now! I'm very impressed. In fact, it's so fast, I still haven't adjusted to its speed yet. I enter my login info and then sit back to wait a few seconds for the index to pop up, only to realize the index popped up almost before I took my finger off the enter key.

Jim

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:23 am

Brooksie explained what changed above. So here's what I'm thinking. Where it currently says:
User Control Panel / View new posts / Your posts
I'm thinking of changing to:
User Control Panel / New posts / Unread posts / Your posts
New posts would be the way "new posts" used to be-- relatively recent things you haven't looked at

Unread posts would be what "new posts" leads to now-- everything you have not looked at

Again, if the distinction is unclear, see Brooksie's post just above.

Does this make sense? We'd have both functionalities (for the first time) and New posts would again truly mean new posts, not just everything that you never bothered to look at.

If there are no objections I'll have them add this.

Paul Penna

Unread post by Paul Penna » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:17 pm

Mike Gebert wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:23 am
I'm thinking of changing to:
User Control Panel / New posts / Unread posts / Your posts[/quotes ]

New posts would be the way "new posts" used to be-- relatively recent things you haven't looked at

Unread posts would be what "new posts" leads to now-- everything you have not looked at
This sounds close to, if not the same as, what I was getting pre-upgrade. The only difference, in terminology if not function, was that pre-upgrade, New posts gave a list of threads that had things posted since my last visit (not login, as I stay logged in). If I left Nitrateville without looking at any of them and came back later, they'd be gone (unless new posts had been added to them in the meantime, of course).

The new Unread posts sounds just like the previous function, which I occasionally clicked by accident and wondered why I git so many old threads I'd never had any interest in.

Bottom line is that the available functions are doing what I want and it sounds that will continue.

mwalls

Unread post by mwalls » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:39 pm

I like to have the link that shows me the new comments and they remain that way until either (a) I read a particular comment/thread in which case it would go away the next time I press Unread Posts, or (b) they all go away if I click Mark All As Read or something to that effect. That is how I most often used the site.

Matthew

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:58 am

We now have separate "New posts" and "Unread posts" buttons on the top-level navigation.

I think that's it for upgrades unless there's anything else anyone has observed that needs fixings. Hopefully this will be good for half a dozen years like the last one. Thanks to all who contributed to the fixer-upper fund to help cover these costs.

boblipton

Unread post by boblipton » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:52 am

Mike Gebert wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:58 am
We now have separate "New posts" and "Unread posts" buttons on the top-level navigation.

I think that's it for upgrades unless there's anything else anyone has observed that needs fixings. Hopefully this will be good for half a dozen years like the last one. Thanks to all who contributed to the fixer-upper fund to help cover these costs.
I’ve been using the new button and like it a lot. Good change for a change!

Bob
Life's too short to sit on our rears watching other people's work.
— Bob Fells