Big Board Software Update

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Big Board Software Update

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:15 pm

So we're long overdue for an upgrade in the PhpBB software that underlies NitrateVille, hence some of the problems people have reported, and sometime in the coming days, our hosting co. will update the software and install a new version of our theme (think of it as the siding on the house), for the first time since 2011.

I'll try to let you know when it's happening and I'll try to make frequent backups. That said, if you're about to publish your giant term paper level post on the cinema of Sidney Olcott, make sure you have a copy somewhere else, because there's always a chance something will fall in the cracks.

Some other comments you'll have:

1) OMG it's so blue! You will probably see the default PhpBB theme at some point and it is, indeed, very blue and very ugly. Don't worry, our theme v. 3 will be up shortly.

2) Thing I used regularly didn't work! Various plug ins have to be added back in one by one. So be patient.

3) X is different from how it was! It may be better, give it a try! People who make PhpBB and its plug ins try to improve them. In any case, we use what they make, so changes will occur, as with all software.

Anyway, I'll let you know what I know though they also just tend to do stuff and when it happens, it happens.

This is costing me a few bucks, so if anyone feels they want to contribute to that, the easiest way would be to go to my other site's Patreon and make a pledge for one month, then cancel it after it's collected on August 1. However that's completely, utterly optional and I won't be going to the poorhouse (though this could have happened a different week from the one where I'm having my garage rebuilt, I'll say that).
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

Zepfanman

Re: Big Board Software Update

Unread post by Zepfanman » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:57 am

Thanks for the heads up!

shonokin

Unread post by shonokin » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:12 am

Did you all send out an admin PM today? I just got an email notification about one but the title is in Russian.

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:42 pm

No, Russian would be spammers. They're invading of late, but we swat them down.
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

MoviecollectorOH

Unread post by MoviecollectorOH » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:26 am

Hi, I'm mostly just a lurker here, but I do enjoy reading the threads on film preservation. Since this is scheduled for maintenance...I just thought I'd mention I haven't been able to see videos on here. All I see is a video-sized block of white space. Sometimes there is a line of text at the bottom that says it has been "embedded". It seems no combination of settings on my end, or lack thereof, works. Do videos only show up on a specific family of browsers? Or maybe my own browser is inadvertently blocking something. I use Firefox, but could also try Chrome. Am I the only one?

Here is an example of it in Firefox, with all the extensions disabled:
http://moviecollector.us/pics_to_hotlin ... -01-23.png

Thanks

Histogram

Unread post by Histogram » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:04 pm

MoviecollectorOH wrote:Or maybe my own browser is inadvertently blocking something.
You connected to Nitrateville via an HTTPS URL. The embedded video got blocked because the link to the video is HTTP. Firefox is actually doing a >good< thing, though temporarily inconvenient.

The good: Firefox, when you visit an HTTPS (secure connection) web page, is blocking some HTTP content. I am not sure about the exact rules for what gets blocked, but Youtube videos linked to via HTTP do get blocked for security reasons. The motivation is that you are supposed to be able to rely on authenticated/secure delivery of stuff via HTTPS; and it won't do to slip in some unsecure/non-authenticated video within that secure connection.

The temporarily inconvenient: linked video and some other content gets blocked when there is a mismatch between the HTTPS URL of the page you are on and the HTTP link of the video (and possibly other content). This nuisance can be mitigated behind-the-scenes by the website (Nitrateville). The website can rewrite some HTTP links (like to Youtube) to HTTPS so end-users don't have to deal with it. Maybe something to look forward to in the future on Nitrateville.

The URL of the Nitrateville discussion in your screenshot:

Code: Select all

https://www.nitrateville.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2779&start=60
The URL of the video in Donald Binks's link (after he introduces the video with "I know you have been clamouring for it..."):

http://www.youtube.com/embed/MQfbUjZ17jg
So that is an HTTP link to video; and it appears on an overall HTTPS page. Therefore the current and best version of Firefox blocks the embedded video.

If you were to view the discussion via the non-secure URL

http://www.nitrateville.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2779&start=60
you would see the embedded video.

Best practice is actually to use HTTPS whenever possible. It's like using your turn-signal (aka indicator light) while driving without having to think about it first. This web site could clean-up embedded links, at least for Youtube, by converting them to HTTPS links when appearing on HTTPS pages. The effect would be to avoid punishing end-users for doing the right thing -- using HTTPS routinely and avoiding HTTP when possible.

MoviecollectorOH

Unread post by MoviecollectorOH » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:01 pm

Thanks for your time! Now I can see Donald's videos, as well as some of the others. :D

Hopefully it is not too hard an issue for them to eventually root and change.

Thanks!

boblipton

Unread post by boblipton » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:48 pm

I just remember that he lives in the Antipodes and stand on my head.

Bob
Life's too short to sit on our rears watching other people's work.
— Bob Fells

silentfilm

Unread post by silentfilm » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:12 pm

We could easily change Nitrateville to require "https" for YouTube and Vimeo videos, but we'd have to go back and edit all of the hundreds of videos already posted to convert them to https.

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:04 pm

Okay, they say they're going to upgrade tomorrow. I will back up every couple of hours but I suggest holding off on any big postings that would make you cry to be lost, until we know it's all back and running.

Histogram

Unread post by Histogram » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:26 pm

silentfilm wrote:We could easily change Nitrateville to require "https" for YouTube and Vimeo videos, but we'd have to go back and edit all of the hundreds of videos already posted to convert them to https.
I was thinking more of an on-the-fly message retrieval that automatically converts HTTP video links to HTTPS for display. Possibly only do this when the user's connection is via HTTPS.

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:35 am

So be aware that that they'll be changing things today. As they used to say on the Mickey Mouse Club, it's Anything Can Happen Day! So hold off on that epic post till things are settled.

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:31 pm

Okay, so they haven't changed things yet, but they're about to. I just looked at the latest version of the revised theme (think of the theme as the outward look and the phpBB software as what's under the hood) and I'm very happy with it. 98% of it is exactly the same as what we have now, but there are some small functionality changes (including, slightly larger and more readable type). A couple of new buttons that will make things work better, but most of the rest exactly what you already know. So thanks to the hosting co. for their work and watch for it to change... slightly... probably Monday, maybe sooner.

Once again, if anyone wants to contribute to the upkeep here, you can go to my other page's Patreon and sign up by making an ongoing donation, then canceling after one month (so after September 1). This was a bit of an unexpected expense (the new garage which ate all my spare cash at the moment looks really nice though; just about to go paint the second coat on the door) so any help from longtime users will be gratefully appreciated.

Paul Penna

Unread post by Paul Penna » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:35 pm

Mike Gebert wrote:Once again, if anyone wants to contribute to the upkeep here, you can go to my other page's Patreon and sign up by making an ongoing donation, then canceling after one month (so after September 1).
I pledged, but I don't need any of the food-related rewards. Didn't know if there was a way to indicate it was the Nitrateville thing instead.

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:58 pm

I'll recognize the names.

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:34 am

They will do the changeover tomorrow morning.

Look forward to a whole new... by which I mean an only slightly different... NitrateVille.

Ken Viewer

Unread post by Ken Viewer » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:37 pm

Mike, I've got $10 I can spend on more diet ginger ale or drop into the Nitrateville donation bucket. I twice started to do it via your instructions at the other site, then stopped because I don't want to have to read all that site's fine print before I tell Paypal to send it a sawbuck and then go back to the other site next month, remember how to sign back in and cancel the monthly donations. I'd pass on any Chicago or food-related benefits or spent gunshot shells from this weekend's festivities.

If you don't want to set up a Paypal account here, how about just a PM to my registered email address with a name to make a Post Office money order out to and an address to send it to. I assume Nitrateville has a P.O. box somewhere; heck, even I have a P. O. box... You can cash a United States Postal Money Order at any Post Office with proper ID and walk out with all that cash weighing you down as long as your ID satisfies the clerk behind the window. I wonder if there are others who would send a few dollars to help with the various expenses in running a site, even one using Public Domain software, were it easy enough.

Ken

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:55 am

Okay, it's happened! Take a little while, play with it, see what you think.

I already know one thing I think: we lost the "View new posts" button functionality. I'll see about putting that back.

Jim Roots

Unread post by Jim Roots » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:08 am

Yes, that was the first thing I noticed: no "View New Posts" button.

This board can get enormous if you're away for a week. That simple button saves a hell of a lot of time and irritation.

Overall, the screen seems much smaller.

Jim

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:19 am

Not sure what this means.

Rick Lanham

Unread post by Rick Lanham » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:22 am

Just to mention a small change.

I may be one of the few who used the banner area at the top to go back to the main page.
I just clicked on it, I think anywhere worked.

Since the change, the only part that works is a small horizontal rectangular area.
It starts to the left of von Sternberg, and ends at the bridge of Marlene's nose.

Probably not worth fixing if I'm the only one who used it that way.

Rick
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

Danny Burk

Unread post by Danny Burk » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:51 am

I always used it that way too. However, "View New Posts" is the most important fix needed, I'd say.

Battra92

Unread post by Battra92 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:40 am

As an IT guy who has handled many software upgrades and migrations, I am with you when the first person talks about how the change is weird and scary and how they don't feel like they can continue unless it's migrated back.

Jim Roots

Unread post by Jim Roots » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:17 am

Mike Gebert wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:19 am
Not sure what this means.
I made an adjustment to my monitor that seems to have fixed it.

The best I can describe it is that on a 21" monitor, NV was only about 9.5" horizontally this morning, whereas normally it is 13". I don't think it was a serious concern, just an effect that some people might experience.

Jim

silentfilm

Unread post by silentfilm » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:25 am

I did notice a cool feature at the top right of every topic's page, "View first unread post". That is very handy if you have been away for a while and there have been multiple replies to the topic.

Danny Burk

Unread post by Danny Burk » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:41 am

silentfilm wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:25 am
I did notice a cool feature at the top right of every topic's page, "View first unread post". That is very handy if you have been away for a while and there have been multiple replies to the topic.
Clicking the movie reel icon next to a topic (black on topics with new posts) will also do that.

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:03 pm

The best I can describe it is that on a 21" monitor, NV was only about 9.5" horizontally this morning, whereas normally it is 13". I don't think it was a serious concern, just an effect that some people might experience

Interesting. It has been consistent at 980 pixels wide the whole time, but apparently yours interprets that differently now. One of those weird things in how one design or another is read by one browser or another. (Mine is consistent with the look before.)

Okay, so far the only things on the punch list are:

• "View new posts" button on the main navigation.

• I agree that it's useful on any site when you can just click the main header, masthead, whatever to get back to home.

Keep playing with stuff and see if you spot any other past functionality that's missing, etc. And let me know if anyone experiences anything that suggests that the new software has not fixed the login problems people were having.

Danny Burk

Unread post by Danny Burk » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:21 pm

The other things I notice:

1) "Mark All Posts Read" button is missing

2) I'm using Chrome, so I can't compare other browsers. Here, width is OK. Line spacing seems farther than before, but that may be a side effect of the larger font.

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:31 pm

2) I'm using Chrome, so I can't compare other browsers. Here, width is OK. Line spacing seems farther than before, but that may be a side effect of the larger font.
Also, each section has a third line showing the start of the most recent thread title, so everything is a little more spaced out than before.

Does anyone read it on phones or tablets? I'd be curious how that is.

Jim Roots

Unread post by Jim Roots » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:22 pm

Danny Burk wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:21 pm
The other things I notice:

1) "Mark All Posts Read" button is missing

Just got home and ran to see how it will work on my home laptop. Immediate response: (1) Got in on the first attempted login! (2) Whoa! That font is HUGE at home! Looks like at least 14 pt here! (Yes, I have Chrome here, but I have Chrome at work, too.)

Don't know if this is a change, but have the "Save draft" and "Submit" buttons been flipped? I keep moving the cursor to the left to upload my postings, only to find "Submit" on the right.

Jim