"Pura maña"... trying to restore a 1926 classic

Everything related to researching, scoring and performing music with silent film.
radiotelefonia

"Pura maña"... trying to restore a 1926 classic

Unread post by radiotelefonia » Sat May 31, 2008 1:28 pm

A while ago I posted the 1925 sheet music of Pedro Maffia's "Pura maña". That tango was originally played by the Julio De Caro while movies were exhibited at the Select Lavalle movie theater.

Later that year, that tango began to be played, in the same movie theater, by the bandoneon duo featuring Maffia himself and Pedro Laurenz. This tango, and a few others, that they performed was so successful that the Victor company made a series of ten recordings in 1925 and 1926, of which only three have been reprinted in good quality versions. Of the series, this was second recorded in the electric system.

This tango, then, was among a (big) series of recordings that survived in lousy versions preserved by collectors. This is the version I am speaking about:

http://www.esnips.com/doc/42156959-31d4 ... .--Pura-Ma

Seven years ago, with no technical or engineering knowledge I restored it, or at least tried using my instinct only. At the time, it was very hard and almost impossible. But eventually I managed to an acceptable job, rescuing it. A veteran of the film industry who was a great friend, who used to told me how the EMI archives eventually banished, told me that this recordings are not really for the Dolby Stereo musical equipment but important as documents of an era.

Suddenly, I began to restore other obscure recordings and got a reputation of being the best one who do this restorations... although I disagree and I feel that I don't deserve it.

Anyway, seven years later with still the same ignorance but with experience and a stronger instinct, I decided to restore it again. The results are not much different than my previous ones and this is the recording I have to offer.

Don't expect a reprint from Sony-BMG or whatever stupid name Victor and Columbia choose for identity.

Anyway, I would give anything to be in that movie theater in 1925:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1tB0jjDTfM

Michael Mortilla

Re: "Pura maña"... trying to restore a 1926 classi

Unread post by Michael Mortilla » Sat May 31, 2008 4:07 pm

Cannot play the e-clips and the second link text is totally out of focus. Hmmm... Maybe because I'm on a Mac? Is there a pug in I need to play the e-clips version? Not warning comes up as it would if a plug-in is missing.

TIA.
Michael Mortilla

MIDILifeCrisis

radiotelefonia

Unread post by radiotelefonia » Sat May 31, 2008 4:58 pm

The text in the YouTube clip reads: "Input title has no video stream". If it is almost unreadable that is because I wanted the lowest resolution video file to put in that page, since they don't accept MP3 files. The quality of the audio, however, is fine.

Both clips should play fine and the first one, from esnips, is also a flash file. (It is posted among a series of recordings of the Pedro Maffia orchestra that I have been restoring, although I should finish them even if I'm not in the mood to do it)

Michael Mortilla

Unread post by Michael Mortilla » Sat May 31, 2008 5:22 pm

Thanks. I'll make sure my flash player is up to date...
Michael Mortilla

MIDILifeCrisis