A couple of Argentine rarities (plus a bonus)

Everything related to researching, scoring and performing music with silent film.
radiotelefonia

A couple of Argentine rarities (plus a bonus)

Unread post by radiotelefonia » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:15 pm

These sheet music scores are quite rare. I scanned and restored the first one from a damaged original more than six years ago. The second one was rescued by a friend who send it to me to clean it more.

This score is rare to find in print; the cover is a recreation that I made based on what I was able to find. This film is in the TCM archives but they will never dare to show it in the United States. (Although this tango was written for Libertad Lamarque, it is far more memorable in Carlos Di Sarli's version.)

FrankFay

Unread post by FrankFay » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:03 am

So- I gather the first piece isn't actually dedicated to Chaney, but to an athlete who was nicknamed Lon Chaney.
Eric Stott

Michael Mortilla

Unread post by Michael Mortilla » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:07 am

FrankFay wrote:So- I gather the first piece isn't actually dedicated to Chaney, but to an athlete who was nicknamed Lon Chaney.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amateur_Er ... e_football

(7 or 8 names from the bottom of the page.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alberto_Bellomo

Apparently so and as such has NOTHING AT ALL to do with silent films.

Check the fine print at the top of the page.

Good call, Eric AKA FrankFay :)
Michael Mortilla

MIDILifeCrisis

FrankFay

Unread post by FrankFay » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:37 am

Still, one wonders why he got the nickname- was he the Man of a Thousand Kicks? Did he live under an opera house?
Eric Stott

Michael Mortilla

Unread post by Michael Mortilla » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:42 am

FrankFay wrote:Still, one wonders why he got the nickname- was he the Man of a Thousand Kicks? Did he live under an opera house?
hee hee... Maybe he was good at running with the ball and his nickname got changed in translation from Long Heinie... or perhaps he lost a lot of games and always had a long face, then they might call him Long Chinny...

But now I am starting to wonder if the Lone Ranger is also a misprint and he is really Lon Eranger. Maybe I'll write my next tango for him. Ooops. Too late, already did that for Faribanks and Valdez.
Michael Mortilla

MIDILifeCrisis