Blogcritics reviews Bill Frisell - Go West: Music for the fi

Everything related to researching, scoring and performing music with silent film.

Gagman 66

Unread post by Gagman 66 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:22 pm

Bruce,

:o Is this the same score as the long out of print GO WEST Laser-disc? I didn't see any sound-bites posted? Were there any, or was I clicking on the wrong links?

silentfilm

Unread post by silentfilm » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:37 pm

I'm not sure what was on the Go West laserdisc. The only one I know about is the Kino Buster Keaton set. I'm sure that Bill Frisel did not play on the laserdisc show.

Here's a YouTube video of one of their performances for a shortened version of The High Sign. (1920)

Gagman 66

Unread post by Gagman 66 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:35 pm

Bruce,

:( Uhg! That's pretty awful! When I think of Buster Keaton Music the first thing that pops into my head is "THE VILLAGE CLOWN." I have always considered that to be the quintessential Buster theme. I love THE HIGH SIGN. I long thought this was one Keaton's funniest and most innovative Two-Reelers, but my favorite is probably THE SCARECROW. Two of his earliest independent releases.

:o The earlier Kino Laser-disc and first release of GO WEST on VHS had a different score (full Orchestra), than the later DVD version did. I like the older score much better than I do Eric Beheim's synch score. Unfortunately, I have never been able to find a copy. They used to run the alternate scored version of the old AMC.

:roll: A good question here, why has TCM never broadcast SEVEN CHANCES, and will they pick-up the Thames/Photoplay version of THE GENERAL now, and kick the accused Alloy Orchestra to the curb? Sure hope so!