Mont Alto film score quiz

Everything related to researching, scoring and performing music with silent film.
Rodney

Mont Alto film score quiz

Unread post by Rodney » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:01 pm

Mont Alto has recorded several film scores for DVDs that have not been released yet. I thought it would be fun to post excerpts from one of these film scores, and have a little quiz to see if you can identify the film from the music. As extra credit, identify the individual scenes being scored by these excerpts.

Put your guesses on this thread, and I'll give the answer in the middle of next week. The winner can receive their choice of Mont Alto's "Private Reserve" releases (The General or The Mark of Zorro), or if they prefer, a rare CD-R of musical cues from our recent recordings of photoplay music.

The excerpts are posted here.

http://www.mont-alto.com/recordings.html
Rodney Sauer
The Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
www.mont-alto.com
"Let the Music do the Talking!"

Christopher Jacobs

Unread post by Christopher Jacobs » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:48 pm

What?! Nobody's attempted a guess yet?!

With all the recent talk about the upcoming CHICAGO disc and its Mont Alto score, I thought the first and possibly the second clips might have been from that. Then I listened to the third clip, whose rapid and drastic changes of mood (including "Jingle Bells" at one point) seem to suggest the movie-in-movie dream sequence from SHERLOCK JR! Of course this means if they're all from the same film, that the other two must also be clips from SHERLOCK JR, and is absolutely incredible news if it's true that Mont Alto's score will indeed be on the upcoming BluRay of SHERLOCK JR!

Now the first audio clip is so generic, I can't really think of what specific scene it would be from, and could likely fit with several. The second clip sounds as if it could be from part of the motorcycle chase, but it's been quite some time since I've watched the film all the way through so I can't be sure. The third clip, on the other hand, has just got to be that surreal dream sequence!

That's my guess, at any rate! Here's hoping the BluRay of SHERLOCK, JR includes Mont Alto's score, as well as the Club Foot score (which I don't find all that bad, really, and there are spots where its weirdness is kind of perversely fun), along with maybe Ben Model's plus one or two others for good measure!

--Christopher Jacobs
http://hpr1.com/film
http://www.und.edu/instruct/cjacobs

missdupont

Unread post by missdupont » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:37 pm

I would love to play, but all I get is gobbledy gook and code when I try to play the clip, I don't get any music.

Rodney

Unread post by Rodney » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:23 am

missdupont wrote:I would love to play, but all I get is gobbledy gook and code when I try to play the clip, I don't get any music.
Rats. As they say, the nice thing about standards are that there are so many different ones to choose from!

These are saved as .mp4 files, which I find do a great job of compressing music for putting on the web without the audio corruption of mp3 files. Apparently not everyone's browser is up to mp4 files.

If you think it's worth the effort, you may be able to right-click on the link to have them opened by QuickTime, Windows Media Player, or iTunes -- whatever else you've got that may be more capable than your browser.
Rodney Sauer
www.mont-alto.com

missdupont

Unread post by missdupont » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:44 am

I'll try that, but I'm surprised that Internet Explorer wouldn't work on my Mac.

Rodney

Unread post by Rodney » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:39 am

The mystery score is...

The upcoming Blu-Ray of Sherlock Jr. from Kino. I've posted the detailed answers on my web site, at http://www.mont-alto.com/recordings.html.

And I don't know if other musical scores will be included, but I'm sure Kino will let us know soon. I'm also not sure about scores for Our Hospitality.

I had two (off-line) winners, so I'm going to award prizes to both.

Thanks for playing!
Rodney Sauer
www.mont-alto.com

BenModel

Unread post by BenModel » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:30 am

I recorded something for this release, but not for Sherlock, Jr. or Our Hospitality.
Undercrank Productions - rare silents on DVD/Blu available on Amazon
follow @silentfilmmusic on Twitter
Silent Film Music Podcast available on Apple Podcasts and on Stitcher.

Rodney

Unread post by Rodney » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:39 am

silentfilmmusic wrote:I recorded something for this release, but not for Sherlock, Jr. or Our Hospitality.
Great! I'm sure we'll learn what it is soon... they haven't released much info yet. And, um, it's nice to collaborate with you on a project, even though we weren't aware of it at the time.
Rodney Sauer
www.mont-alto.com