The colorized NINOTCHKA

Got something? Want something? Trading in vintage film-related items.
Henry Nicolella

The colorized NINOTCHKA

Unread post by Henry Nicolella » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:20 am

Is this available anywhere? I know it played on Turner many moons ago.
Henry Nicolella

Marr&Colton

Re: The colorized NINOTCHKA

Unread post by Marr&Colton » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:25 am

Colorization is pretty much a thing of the past on any site like TCM. It seemed like a growing fad about 20 years ago but
now one seldom sees it promoted.

I think the Film Noir movement was in part responsible by showing the effectiveness of glorious black & white photography--creates a mood color doesn't, so why make an original B&W movie color?

Spiny Norman

Unread post by Spiny Norman » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:42 pm

An acquintance of mine taped them all. He still has it as far as I know.

As I said elsewhere, I see little harm in colourisation as long as it's 1) done well and 2) completely optional, like the colour Wonderful Life bonus disc. Essentially it is no different from dubbing a movie in another language: You mess with the original assuming that you're bringing it closer to the audience.
This is nøt å signåture.™

wich2

Unread post by wich2 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:59 am

>Colorization is pretty much a thing of the past on any site like TCM. It seemed like a growing fad about 20 years ago but
now one seldom sees it promoted.<

Just not the case. No, it's not being pushed by Turner as it was in the early days.

But it's being done very much better by others including Legend, and still circulated by way of DVD (the Harryhausen-okayed films; the cable-advertised Shirley Temple films) and Broadcast (I believe that the "re-Colorized" MIRACLE ON 34th ST. is still nationally syndicated.)

-Craig

sit271

Unread post by sit271 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:43 pm

Hi Spiney, I would like to get in touch with your friend who you said had colorized movies. I have over 300 in my collection and I would like to see if he would like to trade. sit271

TerryC

Unread post by TerryC » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:15 am

I guess it would be too expensive for the market, but whenever I hear colonization mentioned, I always think of those early musicals from the dawn of sound, for which we only have black and white prints. I’d love to see “On With The Show” or “Sally” in colour. There are actually short snippets of colour frames to use as reference. What about the “Wedding of The Painted Doll” number from “Broadway
Melody” or even the “I Used To Be Colour-blind” from “Carefree” that was supposed to be filmed in colour before RKO cheaped out?

Harlowgold

Unread post by Harlowgold » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:57 pm

Colorization was hit and miss but it was fun to see stars like Garbo and Harlow (who never made full color features) in the format. Several colorized editions such as KING KONG and ROOM SERVICE were released on VHS in the 1990's so if you have a vcr you might be able to pick some up cheaply on ebay and elsewhere.

I believe TCM has never show any colorized films; they were just shown on TNT in the years before TCM existed.