Loving the Classics alternatives

Got something? Want something? Trading in vintage film-related items.
PaulG

Loving the Classics alternatives

Unread post by PaulG » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:51 pm

I was looking for an old film and found it listed on the site "Loving the Classics". I placed it in the shopping cart and then had a weird experience before I could purchase it. I don't want to go into details here because it could have been an honest mistake but it caused me to do a Google search for reviews of this site. One link led me to this site where quite a few negative remarks were made about them.
There were quite a few other links by people complaining about this company. Does anyone have an alternative to "Loving the Classics"? I'd like to find some old movies but I'd like to deal with a competent or at least reputable company.

Thanks,

Mitch Farish

Re: Loving the Classics alternatives

Unread post by Mitch Farish » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:48 pm

PaulG wrote:I was looking for an old film and found it listed on the site "Loving the Classics". I placed it in the shopping cart and then had a weird experience before I could purchase it. I don't want to go into details here because it could have been an honest mistake but it caused me to do a Google search for reviews of this site. One link led me to this site where quite a few negative remarks were made about them.
There were quite a few other links by people complaining about this company. Does anyone have an alternative to "Loving the Classics"? I'd like to find some old movies but I'd like to deal with a competent or at least reputable company.

Thanks,
Have you tried Grapevine Video? They have a nice collection of talking and silent classics.

http://www.grapevinevideo.com/

You might also try Sinister Cinema

http://www.sinistercinema.com/

There is also reelclassicdvd.com

http://reelclassicdvd.com/

PaulG

Unread post by PaulG » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:03 pm

Thanks a lot. I will check those sites out.

PaulG

Unread post by PaulG » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:09 pm

Thanks again for the suggested sights. Unfortunately none of them had the film I was searching for.
It's "Captain China" from 1950.

Any suggestions on where to find it would be appreciated.

filmfriendo

Unread post by filmfriendo » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:29 am

PaulG wrote:Thanks again for the suggested sights. Unfortunately none of them had the film I was searching for.
It's "Captain China" from 1950.

Any suggestions on where to find it would be appreciated.
Hi there,
i believe we have this title at home (vsh)
dunno how this works
Any suggestions?

filmfriendo
Amsterdam

Petebain

Unread post by Petebain » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:13 pm

http://www.ioffer.com/i/captain-china-1 ... -137731469" target="_blank

I've never used this seller, so I can't comment as to reliability.

Marr&Colton

Unread post by Marr&Colton » Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:35 pm

Any time you get into "gray market" pirate DVDs the vast majority of the time the video quality is barely watchable.

The more obscure titles, if never released on tape or DVD by their owners, usually show up as home-made transfers or
dupey old off-air TV recordings.

Nowadays all you have to do is WAIT and a reputable distributor will eventually have a quality transfer of a movie you want--rather than being a party to copyright infringement. This is a great time to find rare films in authorized editions--there are many hundreds on the market with new releases showing up often.