Nitrate film on E-bay!

Got something? Want something? Trading in vintage film-related items.
johndoe63

Nitrate film on E-bay!

Unread post by johndoe63 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:14 pm

Soon to be listed on E-bay are all 6 reels of an original 1931 film directed by famous silent film star Monty Banks, a comedy entitled 'My Wife's Family'. Film ranges in condition to in great need of restoration to almost playable condition. Many of the sprockets are damaged, but the picture appears to be in great shape. There is a very slight vinegar smell. I am not an expert on film, but I will try my best to give a more accurate description as soon as it is listed. Bidding starts at $100, and I will post it as soon as I can figure out how to ship it! Find it a good home!

wingate

Re: Nitrate film on E-bay!

Unread post by wingate » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:05 am

As a matter of interest will the postal authorities be willing for nitrate film to be put in the post when it has potentially self combustible quality and is so unstable.

johndoe63

Unread post by johndoe63 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:04 am

From what I could find, I cannot ship it via the US Postal service because the Department of Transportation has declared Nitrate film as a hazardous material. The only service that will ship it that I could find is FedEx, but I still have to follow their guidelines for properly labeling a solid flammable substance.

pookybear

Unread post by pookybear » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:40 pm

johndoe,

You will want to get a ballpark price on shipping that film. It will not be cheap cause of the nature of the item
being shipped. I think that last ballpark price for shipping nitrate film was well over 100.oo US for a single reel.

Pookybear

Marr&Colton

Unread post by Marr&Colton » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:14 am

Something like this shouldn't be sold and then lost to the public again. Donate it to UCLA Film Archive or Museum of Modern Art or even George Eastman House. That way it could be preserved.

There wouldn't be much value to sell it---unless it would be a lost Laurel & Hardy or Lon Chaney silent. There were thousands of obscure titles made in the history of silent and sound film and I know from experience they don't draw much money when put on the market.

Contact any one of those agencies and they can arrange a way to get the film to them without the trouble facing you if
you try to ship it.

By the way---Monty Banks isn't especially a bankable name---other than a few of his silent short comedies, his career
wasn't that notable as a director.

wingate

Unread post by wingate » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:01 am

You could ask the big if they have a print.if not they might be interested in taking it.
In any event shouldn't you warn potential purchasers that they should have somewhere safe to store it.

pookybear

Unread post by pookybear » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:43 pm

Yes, one should as I just about 100% that home owner's insurance will not cover a nitrate fire.

Pookybear

johndoe63

Unread post by johndoe63 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:49 pm

Due to some issues with shipping, The listing will not be active until the next week at the earliest. Meanwhile, I will entertain any offers on the product in question.
I have more pictures if requested

johndoe63

Unread post by johndoe63 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:25 pm

Just a few more pictures for those interested