A Hundred 1914 -1932 rare 16mm and 700 more very old new in

Got something? Want something? Trading in vintage film-related items.
Thousandvintagefilms

A Hundred 1914 -1932 rare 16mm and 700 more very old new in

Unread post by Thousandvintagefilms » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:44 pm

The most recent 16mm short I watched was Jimmy Finlayson and Faye Wray (of King Kong fame) starring in "Chasing the Chaser" and as you can see from following I shall be watching hundreds more this week as I research the room full an owner of property we got gave to us. My son buys old 3 family houses, converts them into condo's and because he helped the former owner buy a new condo and did other favors for him that owner gave my son all contents of house and three garages attached to it, which contained turn of century maching tools, signs, paintings, a dozen projectors, cameras, specialty lenses and approximately a thousand films (700 cartoons and movies in never opened original boxes new condition a couple of hundred 1900 - 1932 excellent condition 400 ft to 1600 ft vintage 16mm films in metal cans labeled “Rare Do Not Sell” and about another hundred in various much larger metal cans, the 1932 Build a New Plymouth film, a 1938 Gandy the Goose film in metal canister, the 1941 first appearance of Woody Woodpecker, 1947 Southwest Conference Football Thrills, the 1948 world series, 1959 Boston Celtic’s Training and Instructional basketball 16mm film, /superbowls, very old NY Giants Offensive Line film, Boston Garden former mgr Walter Brown “Basketball Instructional Video” US Navy “Adventures of a newsreel cameraman”, a vintage 1200 ft 16mm Chalenge of Urbal renewal film titled “America The Beautiful” O.M.P.S. US Army large reel film, ww II “Recog. of the Japanese” large metal film reel,”Chevrolet HEADING UP THE HEAVY DUTIES produced by Jim Handy”,id.
Might you be interested in them or possibly refer me to someone who might want to buy a thousand old films, a hundred or more of which are exceptionally rare (1914 thru 1932) .
I can't find these (marked rare Not For Sale on labels) almost anywhere on the net, such as first box of films I just made a list of” “ Revenge of the Range” (date ????), Billy Franey "In The Trenches" (1921) Harry (Snub) Pollard “The Dumb-bell” (1922); Chester Conklin’s “A One Night Stand” retitles as“ Behind the Scenes”; Beatrice Laplante’s “A Regular Pal” film ; Chas Chaplin no title silent 250 ft”, Larry Sermon "Cloudhopper" two reels 22 minutes (1925),and Jack Duffy’s silent 16mm films "Chicken feathers"(1927) and "Hold Still (1926) 16 mm vintage films in the boxes listed on internet, except one in a school library saying as of October 2000 it was heavily scratched, Jimmy Finlayson “In The Grease”’ Lloyd Hamilton in “His Better Half”, Chester Conklin “Behind the Scenes” and one with Jimmy Finlayson and Faye Wray "Chasing the Chaser" Fandon.com is using to hook new customers into paying $ subscription service fees.
I still have to research about eighty more. Thanks if you might be good enough to advise me anytime or refer us to anyone interested in some or all of these rare silent 16mm films !
My Respect,
Mike DuPont [email protected]" target="_blank

pookybear

Re: A Hundred 1914 -1932 rare 16mm and 700 more very old new

Unread post by pookybear » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:57 pm

Seems like a nice find you have there. However, get ready for a lot of leg work. First you need to compile a complete list of titles. Then note condition of the film itself. This is where things get tricky as there are lots of things that can go wrong with film, even if it is just sitting there on shelf!! Base rot being the biggest problem here. Color fading can also happen just sitting on the shelf. So learning a little bit about these things will help you a lot in the sale of films.

Best thing to do is ask questions and lots of them.

Pookybear

Hamilton's Grandson

Unread post by Hamilton's Grandson » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:53 pm

I would recommend doing the research on each title first and also compiling a detailed list as mentioned before you try and sell what you have. Time consuming yes, but well worth the journey.

Some of these titles may not be that rare at all and some may be very rare. For example, The Cloudhopper 1925 is on a Larry Semon Grapevine (2005) DVD, The Dumb-bell 1922 is available on the Becoming Charley Chase (2009) DVD, Hold Still 1926 is on the American Slapstick Vol 2 DVD (2008),etc.

Each title would have to be researched via several different websites; imdb.com, silent.era.com, loc archives, UCLA archives, CNC Archives, etc , etc. to determine how rare they may be.

Another example, Revenge of the Range 1925 has a few prints out there (Castle Films). I have one print in my garage and I have seen a few recently available on ebay. I uploaded a photo from the film on imdb to show that this title is in the public domain and not as rare as when I first bought the 16 mm print that I have. The most annoying thing with well played 16 mm film that I have found is vertical scratches that unless digitally altered are annoying and make it tough to enjoy the film when these prints are transfered to dvd /hard drive.

Dana
Mark Hamilton (I) is on imdb.com
Joseph Hamilton (I) is on imdb.com
Gertrude Brooke Hamilton is on imdb.com

Thousandvintagefilms

Unread post by Thousandvintagefilms » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:11 pm

Thank you both very much "Pookyville" and "Hamilton's Grandson" !

An well known expert in identifying rare vintage films, Richard M. Roberts, provided us with some advice and recently offered between $850 to $950 for five of our silent films, which a second opinion from another collector termed as a fair price:

GOOD BAD BOY (1924) Joe Butterworth $250.00
SMOKED OUT (1923) Leo Maloney western $170.00
IVANHOE (1913) King Baggott $250.00
HIS BETTER HALF (1924) Lloyd Hamilton ( I told Gary that if this film runs only 9 minutes, it is incomplete, it was originally a two-reeler running 20 minutes or so, what you have there is probably only reel one or two ) If you find the other reel, $200.00, if just for the single reel, $100.00
A REGULAR PAL (1920) Beatrice La Plante $125.00

That's $995.00 if you find the other reel of HIS BETTER HALF, $895.00 if you don't, and I will also pay postage.
We expect Mr. Roberts shall be getting at least three or four of those titles from us, but ....with respect to the Beatrice LaPlant silent film "A Regular Pal" (1920) the Library of Congress advised that full 12 minute silent film is not available in the United States, but there was a copy in a museum archive in France which we do not yet know the condition of. It appears that we may have three or four original silent films that no-one of the Planet has another copy of. Because a true collector would want to possess at least one of the only silent movie 16mm films in existence, and I believe a true collector would believe the value of his collection would be increase by buying three or four 16mm silent films that were
the only known films in existence, following all of your advice I am preparing a detailed list of at least a hundred 80 to 100 year old original 16mm films, then place the group of the most rare (only known titles in existence) films to go up for bids (and perhaps throw in the 700 50 to 80 year old cartoons with a couple of silent films that do not have titles on their metal can containers as a bonus it the bidding exceeds a couple of thousand dollars.).

I appreciate both of your advice and am preparing a complete list from my notes this week.

My Respect,

mike DuPont [email protected]" target="_blank

If anyone else has this kind of excellent advice, or if you know a serious rare vintage film collector, feel to contact me

pookybear

Unread post by pookybear » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:45 pm

I can say I have not bought any film in a few years. I really need a proper place to store them before I buy any more. So thus I have not kept on top of prices. However, those numbers are about what I was paying a few years ago per print of 28mm film stocks. So they do not seem to be out of line to me personally. Since the same group is buying film these days I am sure prices have not changed much for most titles.

Pookybear

Thousandvintagefilms

Unread post by Thousandvintagefilms » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:57 pm

Within the package deal of a thousand films I have up for bids, there are several that are not available anywhere else in the United States, such as "A Regular Pal", but I may have omitted that fact I also have what appears to be a full length silent mystery in six metal canned reels, titled "Peacock Fan" that I couldn't find anything on at several major film library archives and which the imdb doesn't even have a summary of the plot or anything about film except its actresses and actors !

In relation thereto, did anyone on nitrateville.com know there are rich people who give more than ten thousand dollars to help one of you convert six silent 16mm films into DVD or disc to start selling for a profit. see Kickstarter.com and for recent 2018 example of big money backers Go to:

https://www.kickstarter.com/discover/ad ... 578&page=1" target="_blank

Hamilton's Grandson

Unread post by Hamilton's Grandson » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:06 pm

Hi 1000vintagefilms,

The nice thing about kickstarters is that 100 people can each donate a little bit to reach goal of 5 figures quickly and I wouldn't necessarily call them "rich" just film folks that want to see these films preserved on digital media. I wouldn't call kickstarters money making adventures as most of the projects that get funded are from very talented people that put in a lot of work to ensure a top quality production.

Some of these projects do not reach funding goals and probably should not have been kickstarters in the first place.

If The Peacock Fan 1929 is the film you have that was released 8/1/1929 by Chesterfield Motion Pictures Corporation than this may not be that rare if you can buy the DVD on Amazon for $6.00 (type in the title on amazon.com to see the DVD).

If it is not this film than you may want to state the release date,cast, etc. to which Peacock Fan you are referring to if it is different than this title.

The short comedy A Regular Pal 1920, may be a good find if not listed in any archive.

Dana
Last edited by Hamilton's Grandson on Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Hamilton (I) is on imdb.com
Joseph Hamilton (I) is on imdb.com
Gertrude Brooke Hamilton is on imdb.com

Thousandvintagefilms

Unread post by Thousandvintagefilms » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:49 pm

One of your members, Steve let me know he thinks the only "Rare" film in the Don Elder collection that was passed on to my family was "A Regular Pal", but I shall be posting upon completion of extensive research the titles of several more 16mm silent films from this collection that are equally rare. Because Kickstarter.com fully funded the most recent six film restoration projects and Steve Massa got overfunded ten-thousand dollars quickly or his less costly transfer of a few old films to disc, I HAVE JUST LEARNED THAT SOME BACKERS FROM THE KICKSTARTER PROJECT FUND FOR MAKING OLD OR RARE OR SILENT FILMS AVAILABLE TO THE PUBLIC AT LOW COST OR PROVIDING THEM FOR FREE. In which case funding might be possible for transfer costs (16mm to disc or free downloadable website setup) and that would also serve the purpose of stopping a very few collectors from profiting from their withholding access to media/movies without an exorbitant price !Anyone not using more than one fake identity on nitrateville might be interested in becoming involved with a $$$$$$ Kickstarter project involving a long forgotten Dorothy Dwan -that's right, going to the bank utilizing the first girl who went to see the wizard.

THE DOROTHY DWAN PROJECT KICKSTARTER.COM DRAFT
Dorothy Dwan, a petite, soulful-eyed brunette leading lady of the silent screen, best remembered for playing 'Dorothy' in an early version of The Wizard of Oz (1925) and also the lead actress in “Peacock Fan” (1929) with the much more experienced (77 movie credits) Lucien Prival as her leading man, id.

(I am requesting assistance with my only six reels of the early Mystery film "Peacock Fan" and creating a proposed Kickstarter.com funding budget of less than ten thousand dollars, plus selecting the best technician(s) to transfer a Dorothy Dwan’s full feature length hour or more of the only existing six 16mm reels to DVD and/or disc for submission on kickstarter.com funding)
Last edited by Thousandvintagefilms on Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

boblipton

Unread post by boblipton » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:09 pm

Thousandvintagefilms wrote:One of your members, Steve let me know he thinks the only "Rare" film in the Don Elder collection that was passed on to my family was "A Regular Pal", but I shall be posting upon completion of extensive research the titles of several more 16mm silent films from this collection that are equally rare. Because Kickstarter.com fully funded the most recent six film restoration projects and Steve Massa got overfunded ten-thousand dollars quickly or his less costly transfer of a few old films to dvd/disc, Anyone not using more than one fake identity on nitrateville might be interested in becoming involved with a $$$$$$ Kickstarter project involving a long forgotten Dorothy Dwan -that's right, going to the bank utilizing the first girl who went to see the wizard.

THE DOROTHY DWAN PROJECT KICKSTARTER.COM DRAFT
Dorothy Dwan, a petite, soulful-eyed brunette leading lady of the silent screen, best remembered for playing 'Dorothy' in an early version of The Wizard of Oz (1925) and also the lead actress in “Peacock Fan” (1929) with the much more experienced (77 movie credits) Lucien Prival as her leading man, id.

(I am requesting assistance with my only six reels of the early Mystery film "Peacock Fan" and creating a proposed Kickstarter.com funding budget of less than ten thousand dollars, plus selecting the best technician(s) to transfer a Dorothy Dwan’s full feature length hour or more of the only existing six 16mm reels to DVD and/or disc for submission on kickstarter.com funding)
I'm in if you can guarantee there are no copyright issues.

Bob
Life's too short to sit on our rears watching other people's work.
— Bob Fells

Thousandvintagefilms

Unread post by Thousandvintagefilms » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:16 am

Bob:
I'm checking to see if anyone ever renewed the copyright, and post the actual versions of applicable copyright statutes for everyone who views my posts information. A quick google search indicates all the silent 16mm films I have at the very least pass the initial 75 years or older test. Whether any of their copyrights have ever been renewed on time in another matter.
According to the NY Times: Even Good Films May Go to Purgatory
Old Films Fall Into Public Domain Under Copyright Law

By NICOLAS RAPOLD FEBRUARY 14, 2014
"The earliest films are the easiest to explain: Those from before 1923 are in the public domain.
Until the Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act in 1998, films could generally enjoy 75 years of copyright protection. Anything that had fallen out by then, however, was understood to stay in the public domain. That alone covers a wealth of film history, including much of the work of foundational filmmakers including Griffiths and Keaton
After 1923, public-domain challenges arise when the copyright is not renewed. Later Congressional extensions of copyright complicate the matter (and have been the subject of debate), but the initial period is crucial.
“Most commonly, a film’s copyright might not be renewed after its initial 28 years of protection had expired,” Michael Mashon, head of the moving image section at the Library of Congress, wrote in an email.
As a result of these lapses, many of the films proliferated in quick-and-dirty editions on home video.
These releases vary widely in quality; some budget releases from Alpha Video, for example, use rough-and-ready prints for their source material. But others have received deluxe treatment as part of elaborate restorations.
For the Library of Congress, such films hold special appeal precisely because of their neglect.
“We typically prioritize the preservation of public domain titles here because we figure if we don’t, then no one is likely to,” Mr. Mashon wrote.
These efforts can lead to partnerships resulting in superior home-video versions. “Fear and Desire” and ”The Hitch-Hicker” (by Ida Lupino) now exist on remastered editions from Kino Lorber in collaboration with the Library of Congress. Even bargain-bin releases, Mr. Goldstein says, provide an audience for lesser-known titles.”.

silentfilm

Unread post by silentfilm » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:22 am

The Peacock Fan (1929) was a Chesterfield Studios release, and it is very likely that the copyright was not renewed. Thunderbird Films (and their successor, Morcraft Films) sole 8mm and 16mm prints of this film from the late 1970s through at least 1984. It is already available on DVD from Alpha Video/oldies.com.

The Library of Congress has 16mm print of this film.