new TV

Technically-oriented discussion of classic films on everything from 35mm to Blu-Ray
drednm

new TV

Unread post by drednm » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:48 am

OK so I', finally breaking down and buying a new TV. My 2000 rear-projection TV has a 4:3 screen (more or less) and shows 16:9 in a band across the center and uses about half the vertical height of the screen.

So with the new wide screens, I assume they are made for the 16:9 set-up but what happens to a film that's n the 4:3 aspect ratio? Will it be a small rectangle in the center of the wide screen?

I wonder if I can take a DVD with me to the store and try it ?????

And yes I know I'm hopelessly out of date.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com" target="_blank

Paul Penna

Re: new TV

Unread post by Paul Penna » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:59 am

drednm wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:48 am
So with the new wide screens, I assume they are made for the 16:9 set-up but what happens to a film that's n the 4:3 aspect ratio? Will it be a small rectangle in the center of the wide screen?
Yes, as long as the settings that affect aspect ratio on both your TV and other devices, such as DVD or Blu-Ray players, set correctly. Chances are they'll come out of the box set so that 4:3 images are stretched horizontally to fill the screen. In that case you'll have to explore menus and experiment to get them right. Good luck.

drednm

Unread post by drednm » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:04 am

Paul Penna wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:59 am
drednm wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:48 am
Yes, as long as the settings that affect aspect ratio on both your TV and other devices, such as DVD or Blu-Ray players, set correctly. Chances are they'll come out of the box set so that 4:3 images are stretched horizontally to fill the screen. In that case you'll have to explore menus and experiment to get them right. Good luck.
That's what I was afraid of..... Image will be SMALLER than on my old TV,
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

s.w.a.c.

Unread post by s.w.a.c. » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:10 am

Ideally, you'll get a square image in the middle of the screen, filling it from top to bottom, with black or grey bars on the side.

Where you may have issues is with cable signals or something like Apple TV and similar devices where aspect ratios are all over the map. I've posted in the past about how TCM's 4:3 titles used to play in the proper aspect (from my provider, in SD), but earlier this year they changed the signal so now those films have black bars on all sides and I have to hit the "zoom" button to get it to look right. With reduced resolution, of course.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

drednm

Unread post by drednm » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:29 am

I mention th3 4:3 aspect ratio to the kid at Best Buy this morning and he had no idea what I was talking about as he rattled on about HD and UHD. He kept saying "it will show in widescreen."
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

Donald Binks

Unread post by Donald Binks » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:10 pm

drednm wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:29 am
I mention th3 4:3 aspect ratio to the kid at Best Buy this morning and he had no idea what I was talking about as he rattled on about HD and UHD. He kept saying "it will show in widescreen."
There is just no concept whatsoever with most people that there is anything other than widescreen. Everybody will just watch all pictures in it with the result of course of seeing a whole lot of fat people on the screen.

ON the rare event here that a picture in academy is to be broadcast - it will have two black bars on either side. All my DVD's will play in this format. (If not - a rarity - there is an aspect control on the remote, however on some remotes it is difficult to locate).

My television receivers were purchased in 2009 and already they are out of date! They won't display a picture for the new channels that are now broadcasting in MPEG4. It seems that electronics nowadays is only meant to last a couple of years.
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,
she won't polish them..."You know what she's like." So I said:..."

mwalls

Unread post by mwalls » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:56 pm

Ed,

Not meaning to complicate matters more, but have you thought about a projector as opposed to a television? Here is one that I would highly recommend:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y6 ... UTF8&psc=1

I am not sure the size/brand of TV you are looking for, but it may very well be at the price range (or above) of a projector. My projector handles different aspects with no problem, and can project a very large picture on a wall. I have mine sitting on a stand and did not bother with mounting on a ceiling.

Matthew

drednm

Unread post by drednm » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:02 pm

Way too complicated....

Thanks for the responses.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:09 pm

TVs are sold by diagonal size (55" equals from upper left to lower right) but in this case it's more helpful to measure by height. If your TV was 33" tall and the new one is 39" tall, the 4:3 image will be bigger, even if it doesn't fill the screen.
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

rb0161

Unread post by rb0161 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:13 am

Some widescreen TVs give the option to show the full frame with black bars at the side or in 14:9 ratio which cuts a bit off top and bottom with a little more width. You can zoom the centre part of the frame to fill the full 16:9 screen or (hideously) squash everything to 16:9.

Playback equipment such as DVD players have settings too. Often auto, 16:9 or 4:3.

I bought a 720p Benq video projector three years ago. I was worried I wouldn't use it enough to justify the cost. But it has been one of the best things I have ever purchased.

Scott Eckhardt

Unread post by Scott Eckhardt » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:57 pm

I think all tvs give you a way to adjust the aspect ratio. But you do have to also set such devices as blu ray players. I recently replaced a failing 7 year old Panasonic blu ray in my den with a new Sony unit. The default setting was the one that stretches and distorts the old narrow screen to fit the widescreen. The player came with a "quick setup" sheet, but no info on how to make adjustments. I was able to download a proper manual which told me how to adjust the aspect ratio. I prefer having a simple, paper booklet that I can easily flip through to having to go on my tablet every time I need some info.

drednm

Unread post by drednm » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:56 am

Sounding more daunting with every reply......
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

Mitch Farish

Unread post by Mitch Farish » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:44 am

It's as simple as this: With a larger HD display, when you see a 1.33/1 picture, there will be bars on the sides but the picture will be bigger because your screen is bigger. When you see any wide screen movie, no matter what the aspect ratio is, your TV will try to fill the screen as much as possible. In either case, you're getting a larger picture.

All Darc

Unread post by All Darc » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:22 pm

I reccomend buy this car before buy a new TV :

Ok, jokes aside, check reviews and if you intent to buy from internet stores, it's better if you could check in a local store the same model, and watch not just the Demo video they used to present in the store, but ask to set a local TV channel, since the DEMO videos from manufacturer are HDR, and many HDR TVs can look almost reasonable for HDR videos but horrible for videos not in HDR.

Most if all TVs, still have motion blur, and all TV panels that use LCD technology (even the G-LED) have problems of view angle, distorting the image if you move to the sides, getting fadded or darker. LED TVs are just LCD TV with LEDs added to create the backlight source.
Last edited by All Darc on Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep thinking...

s.w.a.c.

Unread post by s.w.a.c. » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:45 am

This is why I'm glad my Panasonic plasma screen TV is hanging in there. I just don't like the look of films as much on any other kind of flatscreen, but when this set finally dies I'm sure I'll be able to adjust whatever replaces it to something that suits my taste. Maybe I can get a good deal on a set that's not 4K.

All Darc

Unread post by All Darc » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:20 am

Replace wirh what ?
Point me something free from angle distortion, free of motion blur, free from clipped white and crushed shadows, free from brightness unevenness from center in relation to the corners when look close to the screen.

Two days ago I went to the store and asked for a TV free of such crapness, and the seller told me they hadn't any TV like that. I looked all TVs, dozens, and all had the infame crushed shadows, angle mdistortions... And the HD (High Deterioration) signal of the channels, bluring textures and artefacting all gradients into a mess of banding effect.

I get mad about it. Technology was suposed to advance, but I went to store and just found TVs with many problems the CRTs didn't had. I get reolvolted, trully revolted.
We are in 21 century and I can't watch TV anylonger. :evil:
s.w.a.c. wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:45 am
"but when this set finally dies I'm sure I'll be able to adjust whatever replaces it to something that suits my taste.
Last edited by All Darc on Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep thinking...

s.w.a.c.

Unread post by s.w.a.c. » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:48 pm

This is part of the reason why I still have my perfectly good Panasonic CRT set too! No, it's not HD, but it's perfect for Academy ratio titles, and blu-ray titles look great even though they're not playing back in 1080p on this set.

All Darc

Unread post by All Darc » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:12 pm

I have a 29 inch trinitron TV. It's not the best of what CRT can be, since it's flat just in the vertical axis and it's not progressive. But even so the contrast looks great, without clipped whites and crushed shadows, without motion blur, without uneveness along screen, without angle of view making image darker or fadded.
But the ON-OFF button it's not working. A technician fixed and in less than 3 weeks after it got brooked again. Technician here are often a mess. I think about connect to direct On when plug cable and OFF when unpluged.

But even if there was a decent HD TV, the digital transmission it's anoying, a piece of crap. The worst of all it's the digital mini SAT antenna system, payed and worst than DVD despite be labelled as 1080p HD, followed by open TV chanels by air broadcast, and finally NETFLIX, which have a lot of banding in any scenes that it's not bright, making all dar and night scenes disgusting to look at.

I have a 20 inch full flat (vertical and horizontal) CRT, but the resolution it's not up to 480p while the 29 inch CRT TV it's almost 480p or so. At least the smal screen helps to hide the many artefacts of digital broadcast and hide the resolution loss of textures (due compression) in scenes with little motion, but even so I notice artifacts it in many scenes, specially banding.

I will never watch a entire film in a huge LCD TV or in any digital TV with the problems I mentioned. And I will never watch a entire film in HD from this digital broadcast abomination. If more people refused these problems and these lies of the industry, they would be forced to create something better and improve quality, instead of push chanels with artifacts all over just to offer 300 trash chanels instead of 30 good chanels.
s.w.a.c. wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:48 pm
This is part of the reason why I still have my perfectly good Panasonic CRT set too! No, it's not HD, but it's perfect for Academy ratio titles, and blu-ray titles look great even though they're not playing back in 1080p on this set.
Keep thinking...