non-cable TCM options

Technically-oriented discussion of classic films on everything from 35mm to Blu-Ray
Harlett O'Dowd

non-cable TCM options

Unread post by Harlett O'Dowd » Fri May 31, 2019 11:18 am

I think I brought up the subject before, but would like to revisit it now:

I'm interested in exploring the possibility of cutting the cable/dish cord.

the one variable that makes me hesitate is TCM ... and my schedule.

because of the hours I work, I DVR just about everything and watch it later. In terms of TCM, I watch most of my movies while having breakfast in the morning in 20-30 minute chunks, so a DVR (as opposed to on-demand) option would be critical.

Anyone use Roku or any other streaming service with a DVR for TCM? Good? Bad? recommended?

Brooksie

Re: non-cable TCM options

Unread post by Brooksie » Fri May 31, 2019 2:39 pm

I've had TCM through Sling TV for several years now, and that works just fine for me. There is the occasional title that isn't available to watch on demand because of copyright agreements or whatnot, but other than that, the quality is good so long as you have a decent internet connection, and it's a heck of a lot cheaper than cable.

mwalls

Unread post by mwalls » Fri May 31, 2019 2:45 pm

I would second the nod for Sling TV. I have had it for about two years now. I subscribe to the "Blue" package (you can select "Blue," "Orange" or both). I do not watch a lot of TV so that channels in that lineup were just fine. At the website you can see exactly which channels are in each package.

TCM is an extra channel in their "Hollywood" extra package, but that is only an extra $5 per month.

Sling has full DVR capability.

As for the cost, my "Blue" package along with the Hollywood extra, plus tax, I am paying about $32 per month.

Matthew

FilmGauge

Unread post by FilmGauge » Fri May 31, 2019 5:26 pm

Ditto! Sling TV is great, and although some TCM titles are blacked out due to streaming restrictions, the majority of tiltes are shown and the quality is fine.

Daniel Eagan

Unread post by Daniel Eagan » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:39 pm

I think Roku requires you to have a cable account to access TCM. Same for the TCM iPhone app. You have to enter your cable password.

Brooksie

Unread post by Brooksie » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:48 pm

Daniel Eagan wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:39 pm
I think Roku requires you to have a cable account to access TCM. Same for the TCM iPhone app. You have to enter your cable password.
If you have Sling, you can watch TCM films on demand through the Sling app, which you can run through Roku or on your computer. You cannot use the TCM On Demand feature on the TCM website (at least you couldn't the last time I tried), but the selection is virtually identical.

mclysaght

Unread post by mclysaght » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:41 pm

Another vote for Sling. You can watch the channel live or use the DVR or the on demand function. I use a program called Audials 2019 for the option to record and burn to dvd. Works great for me.

Use Google Chrome for best results when recording any Sling channel with Audials.

Harlett O'Dowd

Unread post by Harlett O'Dowd » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:08 am

Brooksie wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:48 pm
Daniel Eagan wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:39 pm
If you have Sling, you can watch TCM films on demand through the Sling app, which you can run through Roku or on your computer. You cannot use the TCM On Demand feature on the TCM website (at least you couldn't the last time I tried), but the selection is virtually identical.
wait - would I need both Sling and Roku?

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:11 am

Roku is the cable box, Sling is the cable service, so to speak. I have a Roku stick, it cost $40 or something.
“Méliès is the OG.” —Liam Gebert

rudyfan

Unread post by rudyfan » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:15 pm

This is my plan as soon as the Xfinity contract is done next spring, Sling TV and TCM as an extra. I love the ROKU box. Looking very much forward to cutting that cord.
http://www.rudolph-valentino.com" target="_blank" target="_blank
http://nitanaldi.com" target="_blank" target="_blank
http://www.dorothy-gish.com" target="_blank" target="_blank

mclysaght

Unread post by mclysaght » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:53 pm

Mike Gebert wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:11 am
Roku is the cable box, Sling is the cable service, so to speak. I have a Roku stick, it cost $40 or something.
The Roku streaming players range from $29 to $99. It's a one time cost so I went with the $99 version. It let's me plug my 4TB hard drive into it that has thousands of movies and TV shows on it. All are ripped from my DVD's or recorded from TCM. All available at the touch of the remote.

Harlett O'Dowd

Unread post by Harlett O'Dowd » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:19 am

mclysaght wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:53 pm
Mike Gebert wrote:
The Roku streaming players range from $29 to $99. It's a one time cost so I went with the $99 version. It let's me plug my 4TB hard drive into it that has thousands of movies and TV shows on it. All are ripped from my DVD's or recorded from TCM. All available at the touch of the remote.
so would a multi-TB external hard drive work as well as a DVR? what about HD? The big networks etc?

Scott Eckhardt

Unread post by Scott Eckhardt » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:43 pm

I cut the cord four years ago. I have a Roku stick on my big TV in the living room and the smaller set in the den has built-in Roku. I get the major networks via amplified antennas on both sets. My reception is great because I live on the top floor of a hi-rise with no other tall buildings to block it. I get about 35 usable chanels over the air, but, when I lived in a lower location, the reception was much worse. My internet is $55 with no contract and locked for life. I absolutely do not regret cutting the cable cord. I had Comcast and it sucked badly.

mclysaght

Unread post by mclysaght » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:10 pm

Harlett O'Dowd wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:19 am
mclysaght wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:53 pm
Mike Gebert wrote:
so would a multi-TB external hard drive work as well as a DVR? what about HD? The big networks etc?
The external hard drive is only for ripping your DVD or Blu-ray collection. I also use it to store the films I record with the program Audials. I can bring up thousands of films from my personal collection with my remote with the Roku ultra.

You will need the Sling DVR function to save the films to watch later. I record the films to the DVR and than record them to my personal library or to DVD with the computer program Audials 2019. I also use it to record their "On Demand" films.

All channels should be HD.

Bruce Long

Unread post by Bruce Long » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:22 am

I use DirectvNOW on Roku. Their current cheapest package is $50/month and has almost everything I want, including TCM. DirectvNOW includes cloud DVR recording. As a bonus, that cheapest package includes a few HBO channels, and includes access to the HBO GO app on Roku or mobile devices, with a lot of on-demand programming. The semi-classic channel FXM is also included in that cheapest DirectvNOW package.

Rick Lanham

Unread post by Rick Lanham » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:04 pm

A long column on two ways to search for what's available for streaming:

A Million Streams and Nothing to Watch? Reelgood and JustWatch to the Rescue!

https://tidbits.com/2019/06/21/a-millio ... he-rescue/

Rick
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

2 Reel

Unread post by 2 Reel » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:54 am

We "cut the cord" several years ago, and I haven't missed cable at all. I also haven't bought a DVD in nearly a decade, nor do I have any intention of doing so. Am I bothered that studios and cable companies aren't making money off me? No, because they are making more off selling advertising on their DVD releases, in their theater presentations, and on their web sites than they could ever make off DVD sales.

I've since learned that just about any DVD can be borrowed for free through local libraries and their connections with libraries in other states in the US, and you and I pay through taxes for that service. Use it. I've also noticed that once a film is out in a digital format, someone posts it somewhere on the Internet for free viewing. YouTube, Archive.org, and other legal sites now have tens of thousands of titles available for free viewing anytime anywhere. Never before in the history of film distribution have so many silent movies been available for easy viewing. If you must buy and stockpile movies, Abebooks, Ebay, Craigslist, and other sources are also terrific for finding DVDs for under $1. If you're not in a hell-bent rush, let the adventure begin, and happy hunting!
They call me "Dangerous Dal"

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:01 am

A long column on two ways to search for what's available for streaming:
If I had need for yet another hobby, I would start a very short newsletter on Substack or something, which would go out every week with seven titles which are streaming out there somewhere, of every sort from old movies to Korean action movies to documentaries to food TV shows, just not whatever Netflix or Amazon is pushing hard this week. Short, concise recommendations, in theory to give the person like us (interested in the broad scope of film history and many subjects beyond superheroes) something new and pretty good to watch, every day.

If anyone wants to take this idea and run with it, be my guest.
“Méliès is the OG.” —Liam Gebert