Plasma screens and Image Retention

Technically-oriented discussion of classic films on everything from 35mm to Blu-Ray
Michael O'Regan

Plasma screens and Image Retention

Unread post by Michael O'Regan » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:10 pm

I wondered whether anyone has had any problems with image retention on plasma screens caused by watching a lot of 4:3 ratio with the side bars.

ColemanShedman

Re: Plasma screens and Image Retention

Unread post by ColemanShedman » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:13 pm

I've had one for four years and the other for six and have not had that problem with either.

Salty Dog

Unread post by Salty Dog » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:22 pm

When I got my plasma, I did a lot of reading about them,
and found that the likelihood of burn-in is strongest during the
first 200 hours you watch on your set, so I was careful to avoid
a lot of 4:3 watching during this initial period, which I kept
track of on a spreadsheet. Worked out fine.
Bill Coleman

countryslicker

Unread post by countryslicker » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:36 am

I undertook a fair bit of research before I recently purchased my Panasonic 50 inch plasma. The outcome was that I was repeatedly (and reliably I believe) informed that image retention (temporary) and burn in (permanent) will always be possible (and almost inevitable) on any phosphor based display (CRT and Plasma) if high contrast settings are used and static images are left on screen for lengthy times. However, normal use is not a problem – even watching 4:3 ratio or old Cinemascope movies.

Nevertheless, I make sure I never pause a DVD or Blu-Ray movie, or leave just the menu running. This information I was given refers to current model plasma TV’s sold here in Australia (PAL) – can’t speak for anywhere else, or for LCD or LED TV's.

Haven't had any problems yet......

Michael O'Regan

Unread post by Michael O'Regan » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:59 am

There is actually a setting on my new TV whereby the sidebars can be left in a grey/white colour - the manual says this is to reduce the risk of burn-in.
However, it really is a distraction on 4:3 movies. Those sides need to be dark, IMO.

Rick Lanham

Unread post by Rick Lanham » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:46 am

No problems with the 50" Panasonic plasma here. We followed the manual's directions about settings for the fifty (? I think) hours and then set it up for the best picture. No noticeable burn-in.

Rick

ymmv

Unread post by ymmv » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:35 am

I've got a 42" Panasonic plasma and I don't have any burn in while watching 4:3/widescreen movies with black bars. I did make sure the brightness settings were set only half way for the first 200 hours. After those first 200 hours, you're free to go wild with your settings.

Michael O'Regan

Unread post by Michael O'Regan » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:08 pm

I did make sure the brightness settings were set only half way for the first 200 hours.
You mean as in factory setting?

ymmv

Unread post by ymmv » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:41 pm

Michael O'Regan wrote:
I did make sure the brightness settings were set only half way for the first 200 hours.
You mean as in factory setting?
From the Panasonic site:
4. What is the "break-in" period and what should I do during the break-in period to minimize any risk of image retention?

When your plasma TV is initially installed, the first 100 hours of use is known as the "break-in period." During this time, to minimize any risk of image retention, you should:

Make sure the plasma TV is in a viewing mode (aspect ratio) that completely fills the screen. The panel is shipped in this condition, in what is called the "Just" mode.
Turn down the Picture setting (in the Picture menu) to +0.
Briefly engage the 4:3 mode and confirm the side bars are set to "Mid", or "Bright". This can be adjusted in the Set Up menu.
Always return the display mode that fills the screen (such as Just, Zoom, Full, or H-FILL).
Try not to view channels with stationary backgrounds or logos for extended periods of time.
Avoid extended display of static images (video games, computer images, DVD title screens, etc.).
I just left my TV running the whole day/night on some channel without station signs so I could put the break-in period behind me as soon as possible. It's not *absolutely* necessary if you stay on the TVs default settings and don't use extreme contrast and brightness settings. Doing this "break-in" thing simply minimizes the risk of burn-in to a minimum. When you're done with it, you watch whatever you like without any constraints.

There's a lot of information on this subject, for instance

http://www.highdefforum.com/flat-panel- ... wners.html" target="_blank" target="_blank

Michael O'Regan

Unread post by Michael O'Regan » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:58 pm

Thanks very much. I'm afraid I've already watched quite a bit of 4:3 black sides - oooops!!
:)