Eastman Kodak Co. is preparing to seek bankruptcy protection

Technically-oriented discussion of classic films on everything from 35mm to Blu-Ray
syd

Eastman Kodak Co. is preparing to seek bankruptcy protection

Unread post by syd » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:40 am

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 42810.html

Hope for a recovery.
It is difficult for me to
imagine a world
without film.

momsne

Re: Eastman Kodak Co. is preparing to seek bankruptcy protec

Unread post by momsne » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:49 pm

Eastman Kodak share price is down to 46 cents. I have read that the current CEO of Eastman Kodak pinned his hopes on selling copiers for home use. A big mistake. Eastman Kodak looks to go the way of Polaroid. With movie theaters switching to digital projection, film orders for movie prints should be fading fast. Nothing beats 35MM film but the movie business is now all about pinching pennies and making lame excuses why their audience is dwindling.

silentfilm

Unread post by silentfilm » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:05 pm

http://features.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2 ... tune-1983/

Here's a great article from Fortune magazine in 1983 describing Kodak's declining fortunes back then, and how they were going into electronics to survive.

silentfilm

Unread post by silentfilm » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:07 am

And here's another good article explaining that people use cameras differently in the internet age, and they upload pictures more than print them. They use photos for communication rather than memories.

https://theconversation.edu.au/killing- ... blame-4879

Brooksie

Unread post by Brooksie » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:47 pm

On a slightly related note, my father's just informed me that Filmlab Engineering, the Australian manufacturer of film processing equipment, has shut down after 40 years in the business.

It was originally tied to Ajax Films, the British-backed concern that operated out of the Bondi Junction film and TV studio which, aside from a brief interval in the 50s, had been in continuous use since the silent era (it's still around, and in fact I'm in the midst of writing a book about it).

My father's company manufactured a lot of their equipment over the past ten or twenty years. They were fairly resigned to their fate - apparently there was a big industry panic every five years ago about the future of film; this was simply the one that finished them off.