Streaming Opportunities

Technically-oriented discussion of classic films on everything from 35mm to Blu-Ray
Roseha

Streaming Opportunities

Unread post by Roseha » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:11 pm

I realize that the subject is being discussed at various places in this section and elsewhere, but I wonder if it would be useful to have a general thread for people to post/discuss any sources they have found for (legal) streaming of silent/obscure/early sound films. I've been very pleased with my recent discovery of Fandor, which at $10 a month is pretty competitive with Netflix, and I've just today been able to install the free channel Video Buzz on my Roku (for those who don't have one, Roku is quite affordable, and seems to work well with any decent high-speed connection). I have a Samsung HD LCD TV, 37inches I believe - I know some of you have larger screens, but I can report that I went to the Video Buzz channel on Roku, input my Youtube userid, and found that Eastman House's trailer of Huck Finn (1920) looked fine on my TV. So if the original is high quality it seems that you can get a decent picture - I imagine not DVD quality, but as discussed elsewhere much of this material may not be on DVD.

Anyone else found other sources?
- Rosemary