Our Entertainment Businesses’ Partners

Open, general discussion of old-time radio and early television
Fred M. Stevens

Our Entertainment Businesses’ Partners

Unread post by Fred M. Stevens » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:25 am

There are good and brave foreign business investors in entertainment ... a Japanese owned Studio produced this film - at great risk to itself
and there are some that are not so good or brave or safe.

Camps
South Park
Platforms
AMC
Company Ownership
Grauman’s
Net Censorship
Film Censorship
Phones
Phone App

silentfilm

Re: Our Entertainment Businesses’ Partners

Unread post by silentfilm » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:35 pm

Fred,
Can you elaborate on this? Just because AMC is owned by a Chinese company that doesn't mean that China controls what is seen on screens around the world. I don't see how this fits into Nitrateville's discussion topics about classic cinema, music and broadcasting.

Daniel Eagan

Unread post by Daniel Eagan » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:44 pm

I believe Chinese impact on the entertainment industry is a valid concern, although I'm not sure if there is anything Nitrateville can do about it. Everything from Starbucks to the NBA has to come to grips with the turmoil in Hong Kong, and the Hong Kong film industry itself is at great risk.

The only influence I've seen from Wanda's ownership of AMC is the availability of a wider array of Asian films, Indian and Korean as well as Chinese, but that's true of Netflix as well. I welcome more selection. Wlll Wanda make it more difficult to see dissident Hong Kong movies? I don't know, but then it's hard to see dissident US films as well.

The new Gemini Man was financed in part by Fusan and Alibaba, and I have to think they have some say over the final cut. Just like there was Asian financing and input into Iron Man, Looper and The Martian. It's not an issue until something like the demonstrations in Hong Kong, or the treatment of Uyghurs, surfaces. And then it is an issue. Would we want Russians or Saudi Arabians owning AMC, knowing how they treat journalists? I don't know, but I think China's actions are just as bad.

While China may not have much impact on classic cinema, many users here see and write about contemporary Asian movies, so I think it's an okay issue to raise. I don't know if I can say anything productive about it, however.

silentfilm

Unread post by silentfilm » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:40 pm

I work in the telecommunications industry, and it is well-known that Huawei does not respect other companies' patents. The U.S. Government was worried that their wireless phone equipment could be used for espionage, and they had to exit the consumer market due to their bad reputation.

Most large businesses are multi-national now. The flap over the Houston Rockets' owner posting a pro-Hong King democracy tweet is worrying, as the NBA will lose millions of dollars if their games are not televised. And trade tensions between the US and other countries are causing headaches in factories everywhere.

I doubt that the Chinese government would be able to suppress a pro-democracy or pro-Tibet film outside of China though, especially on the exhibition end of business. If the film was any good, other theater chains and streaming services would be quick to snap it up. Remember that these companies are staffed with many people whose allegiance is not with China, but their home country. The films that I've seen that Ali Baba financed are just the same comic book and action features that American companies finance, except they have a few more Chinese characters in them.

Working in technology I work with many Chinese immigrants. While they do enjoy visiting their relatives in China, they are very happy to be living in the West.