T.V. Advertising and a gullible audience

Open, general discussion of old-time radio and early television
Donald Binks

T.V. Advertising and a gullible audience

Unread post by Donald Binks » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:32 pm

There is an ad now screening on Oz TV. It features a huge set. A large window with flamed torches on either side. In front of the window is a large bath on a dais. In the bath is Ricky Gervais reading a newspaper. The camera zooms in to him. He looks up from his newspaper annoyed and frustrated and eventually utters the one word "Optus" before once again taking up his newspaper.

"Optus" is a telephone company in Oz and I suppose is sufficiently well known for some "celebrity" to just utter its name, but what I think is inane is how we the audience are "treated" to such people endorsing products - without any evident credentials for doing so - and, what is worse - being paid an enormous fee for doing so. (It is reported that Mr. Gervais has received a fee in the hundreds of thousands for his singular utterance).

I also wonder if advertisers ever factor in that part of the audience who like me, can't stand their advertising to such an extent that they purposefully stay clear of the products offered?

Are there any other Nitratevillians who think as I do, or am I alone in this wilderness?
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,
she won't polish them..."You know what she's like." So I said:..."

wich2

Re: T.V. Advertising and a gullible audience

Unread post by wich2 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:04 am

Donald, I believe the worst of this started with Sir Larry and Polaroid.

And yes, sometimes stars ARE somewhat ashamed of this silliness - as when stars do not allow said spots to be aired in their own home markets.

-Craig

Jim Roots

Unread post by Jim Roots » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:37 pm

How about those ads in which the celebrity doesn't even get to say a word?

There's one around with David Beckham for some cologne or something. He strikes various poses with his trademark smirk, not saying a word, and we're supposed to rush out immediately and buy whatever crap it is that he's peddling. A lot of women celebrities do the same thing for perfume and makeup and hair ads, too.

Jim

radiotelefonia

Unread post by radiotelefonia » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:21 am

earlytalkiebuffRob

Unread post by earlytalkiebuffRob » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:24 am

Donald Binks wrote:There is an ad now screening on Oz TV. It features a huge set. A large window with flamed torches on either side. In front of the window is a large bath on a dais. In the bath is Ricky Gervais reading a newspaper. The camera zooms in to him. He looks up from his newspaper annoyed and frustrated and eventually utters the one word "Optus" before once again taking up his newspaper.

"Optus" is a telephone company in Oz and I suppose is sufficiently well known for some "celebrity" to just utter its name, but what I think is inane is how we the audience are "treated" to such people endorsing products - without any evident credentials for doing so - and, what is worse - being paid an enormous fee for doing so. (It is reported that Mr. Gervais has received a fee in the hundreds of thousands for his singular utterance).

I also wonder if advertisers ever factor in that part of the audience who like me, can't stand their advertising to such an extent that they purposefully stay clear of the products offered?

Are there any other Nitratevillians who think as I do, or am I alone in this wilderness?
No, definitely not alone. Having said that, I recall an ad for one supermarket (Morrison's) in which some guy was bleating on about why he used it. It used to perplex me slightly until a few years later when I realised it was thingummy Hammond who appeared in the BBC show 'Top Gear' which I had never watched. And of course there are many such instances, including those where I have mis-recognised the 'celebrity' or 'star'. I'm sure Donald agrees with me that the main purpose of ads is to be able to 'spend a penny', feed the cat / dog / foxes, etc., without missing anything...

Donald Binks

Unread post by Donald Binks » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:43 pm

No, definitely not alone. Having said that, I recall an ad for one supermarket (Morrison's) in which some guy was bleating on about why he used it. It used to perplex me slightly until a few years later when I realised it was thingummy Hammond who appeared in the BBC show 'Top Gear' which I had never watched. And of course there are many such instances, including those where I have mis-recognised the 'celebrity' or 'star'. I'm sure Donald agrees with me that the main purpose of ads is to be able to 'spend a penny', feed the cat / dog / foxes, etc., without missing anything...
Quite frankly, I think this whole business of advertising has got out of hand. Once, on the commercial networks, advertising was kept at tolerable levels and there used to be some due care exercised as to where the ads were inserted - nothing more than 5 minutes per hour. Now it would appear the rule book has been thrown away and advertising seems to occupy about 50% of programming with ads just shoved in - even to the point of being in the middle of uttered dialogue. Even the final credits - which one has been awaiting to view to see who played what, are now speed past at 100 miles an hour so that more ads can be crammed in. Either that or the picture size is reduced so that something can occupy the top half of the screen. Even when programming plays, we are subjected to things appearing on the bottom of the screen.

It has got to the stage here in Oz that hardly anybody watches commercial TV live, everyone records it so that they can then watch a programme and skip through all the ads. If one was forced to watch live commercial TV one would end up throwing a brick through the set!

All this advertising is absolutely ridiculous when one considers what is, for the most part, being offered. For instance, how many advertisers think they are going to get a majority of the audience to rush out the next day and buy a new motor car? I just don't see the logic?

Advertising is a necessary evil I suppose, but there needs to be some common sense applied = otherwise it will eventually contribute to three quarters of the population being driven insane.
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,
she won't polish them..."You know what she's like." So I said:..."

earlytalkiebuffRob

Unread post by earlytalkiebuffRob » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:55 pm

Agreed on this business of picture reduction and speed of credits. Many's the time I've thought "Who was that?" only to find the answer impossible to find unless it has been recorded. Another thing is when the 'breaks' are not long enough to nip out to take a leak... A recent 'live' presentation of 'The Sound of Music', did this, having several breaks, but all quite brief, so one usually missed a few moments of the show. Longer (and fewer) breaks would doubtless have been better for the cast and musicians, as well...

busby1959

Unread post by busby1959 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:51 pm

Such drivel is a large part of why I haven't watched TV in roughly 25 years.