First Universal Vault entries since 2016

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
calvinnme

First Universal Vault entries since 2016

Unread post by calvinnme » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:16 pm

These are recent DVD releases or soon to be released from Universal Vault:

Fast and Loose (1930)
Zaza (1938)
Phantom President (1932)
The Misleading Lady (1932)
Boom! (1968)
Honor Among Lovers (1931)
Private Worlds (1935)
fm (1978)
Jungle Princess (1936)

There might be more. I just found these by tooling around Amazon. I am yet to find one place where all of the Universal Vault releases are announced. Sorry if this has already been posted.

ClayKing

Re: First Universal Vault entries since 2016

Unread post by ClayKing » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:46 pm

They probably should call it the "Paramount Vault."
-Rich

falsealarms

Unread post by falsealarms » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:37 pm

It blows my mind that Myrt and Marge (1933) is still unavailable. That film features some fine pre-Columbia work by the Three Stooges. Its home video debut is long overdue.

chorusgirl

Unread post by chorusgirl » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:19 am

I too saw "The Phantom President" pop up on Amazon and wondered "how the hell did I miss the release of THAT?" A comprehensive list or a website dedicated to the Universal Vault series would be helpful.

Now if they can just get around to releasing "Girls About Town."

Prince Saliano

Unread post by Prince Saliano » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:03 pm

OMG, Universal. Would you please get with it!

Harlowgold

Unread post by Harlowgold » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:59 am

calvinnme wrote:These are recent DVD releases or soon to be released from Universal Vault:

Fast and Loose (1930)
Zaza (1938)
Phantom President (1932)
The Misleading Lady (1932)
Boom! (1968)
Honor Among Lovers (1931)
Private Worlds (1935)
fm (1978)
Jungle Princess (1936)

There might be more. I just found these by tooling around Amazon. I am yet to find one place where all of the Universal Vault releases are announced. Sorry if this has already been posted.
Wow, if I had the dough I'd buy them all save for Boom! (a bust for Liz Taylor) and fm - five Colberts, a Lombard, and a Lamour!!!! :D

FINALLY, Claudette's Oscar-nominated performance in "Private Worlds" is getting some major circulation. And I've long been in disbelief how Universal has always failed to market Dorothy's "The Jungle Princess", a somewhat legendary movie and one that made her an instant star. They could have made some nice loot even back in the 1970's clipping this up into 200 foot silent Super 8 films for Castle as this was rather along the lines of the type of popcorn titles that Castle and Ken released back then.

s.w.a.c.

Unread post by s.w.a.c. » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:25 am

I've still got my old Anchor Bay release of FM, but I'll grab a copy of Boom!. I just can't resist watching a trainwreck sometimes.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

BixB

Unread post by BixB » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:33 am

In scrolling through the Universal Archive collection on Amazon I was surprised to see SHE LOVES ME NOT available. Been trying to get good copies of Crosby's 30's Paramounts. This title had been omitted from previous Crosby collections that Universal released. Fell of my radar somehow.
Joe Busam

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:15 am

I saw Private Worlds at one of the festivals, and though it's mainly a soaper by genre, there's some smart stuff about a woman in a man's world and progressive psychiatry c. 1930s in it that made it highly interesting. Recommended if you haven't seen it.
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

s.w.a.c.

Unread post by s.w.a.c. » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:03 pm

BixB wrote:In scrolling through the Universal Archive collection on Amazon I was surprised to see SHE LOVES ME NOT available. Been trying to get good copies of Crosby's 30's Paramounts. This title had been omitted from previous Crosby collections that Universal released. Fell of my radar somehow.
Along similar lines, has Bing's Too Much Harmony (1933) ever been made available on DVD?

It's always annoying when a set that could be promising like that 24-film Bing Crosby: Silver Screen Collection DVD collection has to pad things out with the Road pictures, which have already been collected together several times over.

BixB

Unread post by BixB » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:17 am

s.w.a.c. wrote:
BixB wrote:In scrolling through the Universal Archive collection on Amazon I was surprised to see SHE LOVES ME NOT available. Been trying to get good copies of Crosby's 30's Paramounts. This title had been omitted from previous Crosby collections that Universal released. Fell of my radar somehow.
Along similar lines, has Bing's Too Much Harmony (1933) ever been made available on DVD?

It's always annoying when a set that could be promising like that 24-film Bing Crosby: Silver Screen Collection DVD collection has to pad things out with the Road pictures, which have already been collected together several times over.
TOO MUCH HARMONY remains MIA on home video as does THE BIG BROADCAST. Universal's home video division still stubbornly opts to repackage and double dip titles rather than add new titles. Very frustrating.
Joe Busam

colbyco82

Unread post by colbyco82 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:37 am

I bought copies of FAST AND LOOSE, HONOR AMONG LOVERS, and SHE LOVES ME NOT. In my opinion, the picture and sound quality on all three is excellent and just as good, if not better, than other Parmount films from the same era that have beeen released on DVD in the past. I don’t mind paying $20 when the titles are rare and the quality is this good. I hope this a good sign for future releases

BixB

Unread post by BixB » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:08 am

Just watched FAST AND LOOSE last evening. I found it very enjoyable. It exhibits some of the stiffness of early talkies, but the story and dialogue are excellent and keeps it moving at a quick pace. Preston Sturges was responsible for the dialogue. For my money Ilka Chase steals the show as Carole Lombards' roommate. Her man hungry character reminds me so much of Aline MacMahon in GOLDIGGERS OF 1933. And again, this is a sparkling print. I know some of the Vault series titles have been something of a crap shoot when it comes to quality, but this one is top drawer. I don't know what led Universal to release this one but I'm glad they did. Truthfully I never heard of this film until now.
Joe Busam

s.w.a.c.

Unread post by s.w.a.c. » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:43 am

Too bad they didn't combine the Claudette Colbert pictures in one set, like Warner Archive frequently does. I'd buy that without hesitation.

Gaucho

Unread post by Gaucho » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:31 am

s.w.a.c. wrote:

You said it--I've been waiting for Too Much Harmony, Two For Tonight, and the complete Sennett-Crosby shorts for what seems like forever. I've never even found boots of the first.

azjazzman

Unread post by azjazzman » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:06 am

Not vouching for the source. Just sayin'

Didn't VINTAGE FILM BUFF release a DVD of TOO MUCH HARMONY? It seems to me they did.

https://arelow.com/index.php?route=prod ... ch=Harmony" target="_blank

Harlowgold

Unread post by Harlowgold » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:30 am

s.w.a.c. wrote:

What really irritates me is Universal releasing many films that are long available in collections like the Crosby, the Glamour sets (West, Lombard, Dietrich) as single-release dvds in the MOD series - which of course often lists for a higher price than the movie with three or so other films in a "star" set sells for.

Marr&Colton

Unread post by Marr&Colton » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:03 am

[quote="azjazzman"] "Didn't VINTAGE FILM BUFF release a DVD of TOO MUCH HARMONY? It seems to me they did."

-------------------------------

You have a good memory---their transfer was a below average dark copy of an old 16mm TV print.

As many of us know, they are no longer in business.

dr.giraud

Unread post by dr.giraud » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:53 pm

BixB wrote:
s.w.a.c. wrote:

TOO MUCH HARMONY remains MIA on home video as does THE BIG BROADCAST. Universal's home video division still stubbornly opts to repackage and double dip titles rather than add new titles. Very frustrating.
Didn't UCLA do a recent-ish preservation of THE BIG BROADCAST? Also, it used to be shown on AMC. I wonder if that final gag--Crosby has given Sharon Lynne a black eye--is just too much. (It's a bummer and a shock after an an otherwise terrific film. Great musical perfs, lots of fun trick gags, etc.)
dr. giraud

MaryGH

Unread post by MaryGH » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:36 pm

Would love to see "Jungle Mystery" released.

Now that Universal took the time and $$$ to restore it and show it at Cinecon 52 it is the least they could do.

And I happen to know more than a few people who want to see "Jungle Mystery".

Please make it happen, Universal.

And when you do I will be posting it on my Tom Tyler site, blog, social media pages, and social media film groups which I am a member of.

Thank you.

MH
Petition: Turner Enter./Warner Bros: Please digitalize Tom Tyler's FBO silent film westerns

http://bit.ly/2ueCvHe
---
Aventuras de Tom Tyler

http://triggertomblog.blogspot.com/

BixB

Unread post by BixB » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:25 am

dr.girard wrote:Didn't UCLA do a recent-ish preservation of THE BIG BROADCAST? Also, it used to be shown on AMC. I wonder if that final gag--Crosby has given Sharon Lynne a black eye--is just too much. (It's a bummer and a shock after an an otherwise terrific film. Great musical perfs, lots of fun trick gags, etc.)
Yes. BB has been restored and has played a few venues including the Cleveland Cinemateche where I caught it in 2016. Those showings on the old AMC back in the early 90's were the last time it played on TV.
Joe Busam

Harold Aherne

Unread post by Harold Aherne » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:44 pm

For what it's worth, Kino just announced a deal with Universal. Their rep who posts on the Home Theatre Forum hasn't mentioned anything specific but did confirm "around 100 titles from 1932 to 2009".

--HA

Harlett O'Dowd

Unread post by Harlett O'Dowd » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:23 pm

Harold Aherne wrote:For what it's worth, Kino just announced a deal with Universal. Their rep who posts on the Home Theatre Forum hasn't mentioned anything specific but did confirm "around 100 titles from 1932 to 2009".

--HA
Please God THE ROAD BACK (both the release and "director's cut") and AFRAID TO TALK