Warner Media shutting down Filmstruck

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
drednm

Re: Warner Media shutting down Filmstruck

Unread post by drednm » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:39 pm

So, what the latest word on what TCM plans to do with its FilmStruck titles? They will NOT be going to Criterion or Netflix or some other streamer?
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com" target="_blank

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:45 pm

That IS the latest word. Warner Media will include some of its classic film library on one tier of its streaming packages in some way. TCM will be available as a station via Sling, etc., but there will not be a way to subscribe to a specialized service resembling Filmstruck's classic films side, without also paying for whatever modern content they will lead the service with. Although I call it the TCM library to indicate a certain group of classic films, it is really a subset of the Warner library and this is how they plan to use it.
“Maybe I’m an idealist, but I still think of the movie theater as a cathedral where we all go together to dream the dream together.” —Bernardo Bertolucci

drednm

Unread post by drednm » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:07 pm

WAY too confusing. This makes my head spin and not in a good (Exorcist) sort of way....

With my new smart TV, I canceled Spectrum cable and bought an a la carte (and pretty much unadvertised) streaming package deal that includes ten channels. (I couldn't even find ten channels I would EVER watch) and TCM was not on the list.

HOWEVER, as far as I can tell, I can also stream on my PC from this Spectrum account though I haven't tried it yet, and I can stream other stuff on the TC with various apps.

I still prefer a disk to any form of streaming when it comes to films.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

Battra92

Unread post by Battra92 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:48 pm

I'm tempted to sign up for the new Criterion service as it does look like they will try to get content from other providers (that aren't Warner) which could open the door for some more silents, perhaps.

boblipton

Unread post by boblipton » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:01 pm

I already have. I'm looking forward to it.

Bob
Look into the pewter pot
To see the world as the world's not.

-- A.E. Housman

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:23 pm

Me too. If you want something tailored to us, you really need to support Criterion Channel now, because even given a technology platform perfectly suited to niche marketing, the big boys all want to basically recreate the world of cable in 1998.
“Maybe I’m an idealist, but I still think of the movie theater as a cathedral where we all go together to dream the dream together.” —Bernardo Bertolucci

Battra92

Unread post by Battra92 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:30 pm

Mike Gebert wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:23 pm
Me too. If you want something tailored to us, you really need to support Criterion Channel now, because even given a technology platform perfectly suited to niche marketing, the big boys all want to basically recreate the world of cable in 1998.
I agree with that statement. I just want a couple more details first such as "What platforms can I watch it on?" I mean, if it's not available on my Roku and I have to buy another device well, forget it, kid.

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:06 pm

1) I can't imagine it wouldn't be on Roku.

2) All you're doing at this point is signing up to show support, which will no doubt be important to whoever finances or ties in with this service. There is absolutely no downside.

Battra92

Unread post by Battra92 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:38 pm

Oh, I thought it was obliging you to subscribe. That makes a difference. I'll sign up, then.

I do know when Filmstruck started it was only on Apple TV or some such nonsense and didn't make it to Roku for a while after the fact. They never made it to game consoles which, for better or worse, are a lot of people's sole avenue into streaming these days. If you have a PS4, Xbox etc. that gets you everything else having to go out and buy a Roku just for one service would be a bit infuriating to me. I'm sure this affected Filmstruck's numbers as well.

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:20 pm

Yeah, I think almost everybody's figured out that they need to be on all the platforms.

Roseha

Unread post by Roseha » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:01 pm

Sorry if this was mentioned previously, though I didn't see it in the last 2 pages, but Fandor is offering a half price discount for previous Filmstruck members:

https://www.fandor.com/users/new?coupon ... ilmstruck0

I only noticed when logging into my Fandor account today, I didn't belong to Filmstruck, and I don't watch everything on Fandor but it does have quite a bit of classic film.
- Rosemary

boblipton

Unread post by boblipton » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:43 am

To return to my number-crunching on Netflix, here's an article from a month ago about how Netflix is borrowing another two billion dollars. Because I have expressed my doubts about Netflix' numbers and because the loan is reported as being "Senior unsecured debt", I recommend that you not lend them any of your money. If you need tax losses, there are almost certainly better ways to go about it.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/10/22/netfl ... l-content/

Bob
Look into the pewter pot
To see the world as the world's not.

-- A.E. Housman

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:55 am

Just as a consumer. my feeling about Amazon and Netflix both is that in terms of the quantity of content, they are doing the equivalent of if the three networks in the 70s had each had three channels, so you had CBS1, CBS2, CBS3, and the same for the others. If that had been the case the culture could not possibly have kept up with it all, and that's how I feel looking at the choices—there's Altered Carbon and Babylon Berlin and Jack Ryan and Narcos and The Romanoffs and The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina and Maniac and...

Yet how many break through to any sort of public consciousness? To take one cultural measure, how many could you parody on Saturday Night Live and the audience would mostly get it? Stranger Things and The Crown-- and the list drops off fast. (Even then, when Claire Foy was on SNL, they used her to parody PBS in the 80s and 90s.) In no way is this sustainable, a vast waste of production effort that feels like North Korea's dictator making films for himself. The idea, I guess, is to create an instant deep library, like TCM has, but how much of this will have appeal when it's a decade old?

It's a crazy world, giving us too much of what we only kind of want.

Daniel Eagan

Unread post by Daniel Eagan » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:08 am

Mike Gebert wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:55 am
Just as a consumer. my feeling about Amazon and Netflix both is that in terms of the quantity of content, they are doing the equivalent of if the three networks in the 70s had each had three channels, so you had CBS1, CBS2, CBS3, and the same for the others. ...
Maybe it felt like that in the thirties, when the five (or seven) big studios pumped out features, B-movies, shorts, cartoons, newsreels and trailers week after week, most of which didn't mean much then and even less now.

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:46 am

True. I often marvel at pages of movie ads—I've said this here before—and you've got one or two things you've actually seen, and then acres and acres of movies with Jeff Chandler and Jeanne Crain and other people you barely remember existed. That's the case right now, except for me it's even harder now to see how anything breaks through to broader awareness. Will Bright be a classic to anybody 30 years from now? Does anyone remember Bright at all?

BenModel

Unread post by BenModel » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:15 am

Variety posted this news about Fandor today. The (physical media vs. streaming) plot thickens…
"Fandor Lays Off Staff, Sells Assets of Indie-Film Streaming Service (EXCLUSIVE)"

Ben
Undercrank Productions - rare silents on DVD/Blu available on Amazon
follow @silentfilmmusic on Twitter
Silent Film Music Podcast available on Apple Podcasts and on Stitcher.

drednm

Unread post by drednm » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:48 pm

I found this partnership announcement. Warners is picking up FilmStruck?

https://www.warnerarchive.com/
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------

Roseha

Unread post by Roseha » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:10 pm

BenModel wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:15 am
Variety posted this news about Fandor today. The (physical media vs. streaming) plot thickens…
"Fandor Lays Off Staff, Sells Assets of Indie-Film Streaming Service (EXCLUSIVE)"

Ben
Ouch! Forget what I wrote above....thanks for the info Ben...
- Rosemary

Paul Penna

Unread post by Paul Penna » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:46 pm

drednm wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:48 pm

That's an old announcement from a year or so back when Warner Archive shut down their streaming service. It's how I first got subscribed to FilmStruck.

drednm

Unread post by drednm » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:18 am

Paul Penna wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:46 pm
drednm wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:48 pm

That's an old announcement from a year or so back when Warner Archive shut down their streaming service. It's how I first got subscribed to FilmStruck.
I kinda thought so.... Thanks
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------