and for you JERRY LEWIS fans

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
drednm

Unread post by drednm » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:57 am

Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com" target="_blank

goalieboy82

Re: and for you JERRY LEWIS fans

Unread post by goalieboy82 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:26 pm

does the 10 year ban mean 10 years of no public screenings or can people watch the film in private at LOC in downtown dc (i think we have a few LOC people on this board and would like to know if I can see the film).

oldposterho

Unread post by oldposterho » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:10 am

The Ed Wood branch of my cinemania really hopes I live long enough to see The Day The Clown Cried. A holy grail on a par with The Monkey's Paw. The sublime match between my utter distaste for M. Lewis and love for l' cinema du crap is an irresistible draw.

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:29 am

I'm pretty sure it means it's locked up tight until ten years have passed.
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

JFK

Bletcher and Kvetcher

Unread post by JFK » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:18 am

Last edited by JFK on Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jim Roots

Unread post by Jim Roots » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:14 am

So that's what Billy Bletcher looked like out of makeup!

Jim

Spiny Norman

Unread post by Spiny Norman » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:52 am

So... this is real? :?:
This is nøt å signåture.™

JFK

Unread post by JFK » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:26 am

MaryGH wrote:I'd hate to see what his passport photo looked like.
Last edited by JFK on Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MaryGH

Unread post by MaryGH » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:35 pm

oldposterho wrote:The Ed Wood branch of my cinemania really hopes I live long enough to see The Day The Clown Cried. A holy grail on a par with The Monkey's Paw. The sublime match between my utter distaste for M. Lewis and love for l' cinema du crap is an irresistible draw.
I would not mind seeing that movie either, for basically the same reasons. Maybe in my case, morbid curiosity. Never been a fan of Lewis' work, either.
Petition: Turner Enter./Warner Bros: Please digitalize Tom Tyler's FBO silent film westerns

http://bit.ly/2ueCvHe
---
Aventuras de Tom Tyler

http://triggertomblog.blogspot.com/

MaryGH

Unread post by MaryGH » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:40 pm

JFK wrote:The good news is - if these images are any indication - the surviving hats of Spencer Tracy were increasingly less likely to be run over as the new century progressed.
The bad news is, these items, and a lifetime of irreplaceable scripts photos recordings costumes etc are about to be scattered to the wind in an auction June 22.

I'd hate to see what his passport photo looked like.

LOL
Petition: Turner Enter./Warner Bros: Please digitalize Tom Tyler's FBO silent film westerns

http://bit.ly/2ueCvHe
---
Aventuras de Tom Tyler

http://triggertomblog.blogspot.com/

Donald Binks

Unread post by Donald Binks » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:58 pm

I suppose he being who he was, he got away with it - but here in Oz, whenever you "get your picture took" for official documentation, you are required to look serious. This is probably why all Oz passport photos bear a striking resemblance to the ones policemen take - except for the number below the neck.
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,
she won't polish them..."You know what she's like." So I said:..."

bigshot

Unread post by bigshot » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:36 pm

I always smile big for my drivers license photos. A cop once let me off of a traffic stop with a warning because he laughed at my photo.

Jim Roots

Unread post by Jim Roots » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:54 am

bigshot wrote:I always smile big for my drivers license photos. A cop once let me off of a traffic stop with a warning because he laughed at my photo.
Do they still let you do that?

In Canada, as in Oz, you are ordered not to smile for any official photo -- driver's licence, passport, health card, anything. For me, it's like ordering Groucho to remove his glasses, moustache, and cigar so they can take a photo of an unrecognizable man.

Jim

wich2

Unread post by wich2 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:47 pm

bigshot wrote:I always smile big for my drivers license photos. A cop once let me off of a traffic stop with a warning because he laughed at my photo.
"Big" is one thing; "Intentionally Idiotic," is another!

R Michael Pyle

Unread post by R Michael Pyle » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:09 pm

Jim Roots wrote:Do they still let you do that?

In Canada, as in Oz, you are ordered not to smile for any official photo -- driver's licence, passport, health card, anything. For me, it's like ordering Groucho to remove his glasses, moustache, and cigar so they can take a photo of an unrecognizable man.

Jim
In Indiana, if you smile while they're taking your photograph for a driver's license, they then take you out back of the out house, put a wire around your face where your teeth are, tighten it till you scream, then shoot you; make a zombie out of you, bringing you back to existence, and your photograph looks 50 years older than you are, you have NO smile - in fact, no personality at all. My driver's license will attest to that...

JFK

Unread post by JFK » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:33 pm

The reason I posted the driver license photos was to highlight the unpleasant aspects of the auction.
a.) His career-related items should all go a museum or archive - though given his prolific self-documentation, this might require them adding on another wing.
b.) And the late in life wacky poses that hint at senility maybe should have been kept private- for historians to describe but not reproduce.

oldposterho

Unread post by oldposterho » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:47 pm

As to "b.", I genuinely don't think there's even a hint of senility in those pictures. He's Jerry freakin' Lewis, after all. I doubt that fact was not missed by anybody in officialdom and they let Jerry be Jerry.

If anything, I suppose it might be a case of him always being "on," but he would hardly be the first comedian that could be said about.

bigshot

Unread post by bigshot » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:02 pm

I found out today why his last signature is so messed up. I went to the DMV to get my license renewed and they made me sign one of those little digital pads. My signature always looks awful on those. Jerry wrote OK after his name to indicate that he didn't care that his signature looked messy.

Yes, I grinned big today for my picture in honor of Jerry Lewis. The girl at the DMV said it was perfectly fine to do that.

Jim Roots

Unread post by Jim Roots » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:27 am

Agree with oldho ... sorry, oldposterho ... and bigshot. I, too, am unable to write legibly on a digital pad, and I don't see any senility in any of the pictures; I only see Jerry Lewis being Jerry Lewis.

I'm a little curious, though, whether lefthanders find it easier than righthanders to sign those digital pads. As a rightie, I find I can't get the proper angle on it because there's nothing to rest the outside of my hand upon -- I have to hold my writing hand high above the pad, as if I'm playing the piano. Can lefties rest (or brace) the outside of their writing hand on the upper part of the pad, making it easier for them to write on it?

Jim

s.w.a.c.

Unread post by s.w.a.c. » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:45 am

Jim Roots wrote:I'm a little curious, though, whether lefthanders find it easier than righthanders to sign those digital pads. As a rightie, I find I can't get the proper angle on it because there's nothing to rest the outside of my hand upon -- I have to hold my writing hand high above the pad, as if I'm playing the piano. Can lefties rest (or brace) the outside of their writing hand on the upper part of the pad, making it easier for them to write on it?
As a lefty, from my sinister experience, I have to say it isn't any easier.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

Donald Binks

Unread post by Donald Binks » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:47 am

What is it with bureaucracy that we can't smile or look happy in official photographs? The one in my current passport makes me look like a criminal on the run. I want one where I look my normal mad self. I want to get through Customs and Immigration quickly - not be someone who is looked over intently. Surely in this stupid world of today we need fun and laughter more and more. I'd love to have the Customs and Immigration people guffawing away....

As to signing computer screens - well, some are so small I can't even see what is is I'm signing. It's a waste of time me doing it as my signature is just a scrawl - but, it doesn't seem to matter as no-one ever checks up on anything. Why don't we go back to pen, ink and paper? How novel.
Regards from
Donald Binks

"So, she said: "Elly, it's no use letting Lou have the sherry glasses..."She won't appreciate them,
she won't polish them..."You know what she's like." So I said:..."

R Michael Pyle

Unread post by R Michael Pyle » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:11 am

Donald Binks wrote:What is it with bureaucracy that we can't smile or look happy in official photographs?
According to people I've asked, believe it or not it's about teeth - TEETH - and how they can affect things and be manipulated by the evil doers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????????

Jim Roots

Unread post by Jim Roots » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:12 am

R Michael Pyle wrote:
Donald Binks wrote:What is it with bureaucracy that we can't smile or look happy in official photographs?
According to people I've asked, believe it or not it's about teeth - TEETH - and how they can affect things and be manipulated by the evil doers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????????????
I think I saw a movie about that, once... Marathon Man?

Jim

bigshot

Unread post by bigshot » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:24 am

I make a point of smiling big on all official photos of me. I figure if someday I snap and go on a spree of crime and violence, at least I want to look like I'm having fun on the wanted posters.

rmos

Unread post by rmos » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:08 pm

R Michael Pyle wrote: In Indiana, if you smile while they're taking your photograph for a driver's license, they then take you out back of the out house, put a wire around your face where your teeth are, tighten it till you scream, then shoot you; make a zombie out of you, bringing you back to existence, and your photograph looks 50 years older than you are, you have NO smile - in fact, no personality at all. My driver's license will attest to that...

You are correct, sir! :lol: