Irwin Corey Dies at 102

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
User avatar
drednm
Posts: 7639
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:41 pm
Location: Belgrade Lakes, ME

Irwin Corey Dies at 102

Unread post by drednm » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:08 pm

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/07/arts ... -well&_r=0" target="_blank

Odd little man who had a unique comedy style. Sometimes he was very funny; sometimes not. But hey, he appeared on Broadway, in films and television. I still haven't.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com" target="_blank

User avatar
Mike Gebert
Site Admin
Posts: 6157
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:23 pm
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Re: Irwin Corey Dies at 102

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:48 pm

And he received a National Book Award!
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

JFK
Posts: 2107
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:44 pm

Irwin Corey Dies at 102

Unread post by JFK » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:57 pm


Image
Worth checking out - as more than just curiosities - are the soundtrack of the Broadway show Flahooley - a Harburg show he was in with Barbara Cook, and, if you can find it, a recording made of an appearance at Brandeis University (mentioned in this interview) with, among others, Fred Allen and S J Perelman.
Last edited by JFK on Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
drednm
Posts: 7639
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:41 pm
Location: Belgrade Lakes, ME

Re: Irwin Corey Dies at 102

Unread post by drednm » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:19 am

The NY Times obit has a story about Corey in his 90s panhandling change in the city and sending it to Cuba for healthcare for children. Certainly quirky, but he seems to have been a very nice guy. He even got to be in a Woody Allen film.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com" target="_blank

R Michael Pyle
Posts: 1748
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 1:10 pm

Re: Irwin Corey Dies at 102

Unread post by R Michael Pyle » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:08 am

I remember his appearances on the Joey Bishop and the Johnny Carson late night shows. The word 'quirky' is apt; but - he could be funny...sometimes his one-liners were hilarious (though at other times they weren't)...

dr.giraud
Posts: 745
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:15 pm
Location: Albany, N.Y.

Re: Irwin Corey Dies at 102

Unread post by dr.giraud » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:39 am

Mike Gebert wrote:And he received a National Book Award!
Who's Pynchon gonna send to Oslo now if he wins a Nobel Prize?
dr. giraud

R Michael Pyle
Posts: 1748
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 1:10 pm

Re: Irwin Corey Dies at 102

Unread post by R Michael Pyle » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:56 am

Jane Pauley just did a memorial on "Sunday Morning", and she showed a clip of Corey on the Dave Letterman show from 1983. It was very funny.

wich2
Posts: 1572
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:11 am

Re: Irwin Corey Dies at 102

Unread post by wich2 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:07 pm

drednm wrote:The NY Times obit has a story about Corey in his 90s panhandling change in the city and sending it to Cuba for healthcare for children. Certainly quirky, but he seems to have been a very nice guy. He even got to be in a Woody Allen film.
Used to see him in my old neighborhood, the East 20s. He, like similar NY character Al Lewis, was hardcore, old school, Hard Left!

User avatar
boblipton
Posts: 6366
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:01 pm
Location: Clement Clarke Moore's Farm

Re: Irwin Corey Dies at 102

Unread post by boblipton » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:10 pm

wich2 wrote:
drednm wrote:The NY Times obit has a story about Corey in his 90s panhandling change in the city and sending it to Cuba for healthcare for children. Certainly quirky, but he seems to have been a very nice guy. He even got to be in a Woody Allen film.
Used to see him in my old neighborhood, the East 20s. He, like similar NY character Al Lewis, was hardcore, old school, Hard Left!
You didn't want Al Lewis putting the bite on you!

Bob
Life's too short to sit on our rears watching other people's work.
— Bob Fells

wich2
Posts: 1572
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:11 am

Re: Irwin Corey Dies at 102

Unread post by wich2 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:52 pm

Ya better BELIEVE it!!!

Last edited by silentfilm on Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Embedded YouTube link

dr.giraud
Posts: 745
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:15 pm
Location: Albany, N.Y.

Re: Irwin Corey Dies at 102

Unread post by dr.giraud » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:43 pm

boblipton wrote:
wich2 wrote:
drednm wrote:The NY Times obit has a story about Corey in his 90s panhandling change in the city and sending it to Cuba for healthcare for children. Certainly quirky, but he seems to have been a very nice guy. He even got to be in a Woody Allen film.
Used to see him in my old neighborhood, the East 20s. He, like similar NY character Al Lewis, was hardcore, old school, Hard Left!
You didn't want Al Lewis putting the bite on you!

Bob
In the 90s, Al Lewis ran for NY governor on the Green Party ticket. I was walking by a cafe here in Albany where he was to do a campaign appearance. I was too late for the main presentation, because I looked through the window and there was Al. He had some hapless college kid who'd probably said something stupid cornered, lecturing him and waving his finger about an inch from the kid's nose. Only Charlotte Rae could've saved that poor hippie from the wrath of Al, and she was nowhere in sight.
dr. giraud

User avatar
CoffeeDan
Posts: 967
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:55 pm
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Irwin Corey Dies at 102

Unread post by CoffeeDan » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:12 am

R Michael Pyle wrote:Jane Pauley just did a memorial on "Sunday Morning", and she showed a clip of Corey on the Dave Letterman show from 1983. It was very funny.
In fact, it's HILARIOUS:



The good professor taught me one of the cardinal rules of comedy: Say anything that comes into your head, but be absolutely serious when you're saying it. RIP, Your Foremostness!

Robert Moulton
Posts: 214
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:08 pm

Re: Irwin Corey Dies at 102

Unread post by Robert Moulton » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:14 am

I was just about to post that Letterman clip and now see it is already here. This is apparently Corey's only appearance with Letterman. It is easy to see why, Letterman is clearly disenchanted with his performance. My guess is that that is a result of Corey choosing to not interact with Dave and instead just face the audience. So Letterman has nothing to interact with. Too bad. Not sure why Corey went that way with Letterman, in most interviews he interacts more directly with the interviewer.

User avatar
CoffeeDan
Posts: 967
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:55 pm
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Irwin Corey Dies at 102

Unread post by CoffeeDan » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:03 pm

Robert, Robert, Robert -- you just don't get it . . .

I don't want to over-analyze this clip, but there's more going on than seen at first glance. Letterman is clearly delighted with Corey's performance. At this point in his career, Dave is smart enough to know that Corey is the most direct of his comic ancestors (both of them gained a certain fame by toying with the late night talk format), so he just steps back and lets Corey go until he says "What was the question?" and then Dave steers him in another direction. If you watch carefully, Dave is playing up Corey's performance by pretending to be disaffected. But he's definitely in on the joke, as you can see by their exchange at the end of the clip.

Post Reply