Happy 80th Birthday Jane Fonda

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
The Blackbird

Happy 80th Birthday Jane Fonda

Unread post by The Blackbird » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:29 am

Say what you will about her, (and at least she apologized for that one emabarassing thing), but talk about a long and successful career. Besides, I don't know about anybody else, but the first five minutes of BARBARELLA certainly changed my life, for one... :mrgreen:

Daniel D. Teoli Jr.
Location: Born in L.A...NYC is 2nd home...Rustbelt is home base

Re: Happy 80th Birthday Jane Fonda

Unread post by Daniel D. Teoli Jr. » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:27 am

Wow didn't know she was so old. I have a nice shot of her when she was a teen with her legs up I the air. Will have to dig it out and post it.

Harlowgold

Unread post by Harlowgold » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:19 pm

The Blackbird wrote:Say what you will about her, (and at least she apologized for that one emabarassing thing), but talk about a long and successful career. Besides, I don't know about anybody else, but the first five minutes of BARBARELLA certainly changed my life, for one... :mrgreen:
She looks great and seems to be a fairly friendly and straight-forward person for a "movie star". Not a big favorite of mine but I've enjoyed much of her work.

I'm feeling pretty old myself now considering I can remember a "Jane Fonda at 40" cover on People or Us magazine four decades ago when I was a teenager.

Happy birthday Jane!!

drednm

Unread post by drednm » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:42 pm

I met Jane Fonda at her (then) Vermejo ranch in northern New Mexico when I lived in Cimarron. She was gracious and friendly and funny. She served meatloaf! In my young adulthood, she was (at least to me) the epitome of the intelligent movie actress in a series of wonderful films. And she's still going strong in the hilarious and edgy Grace and Frankie series.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com" target="_blank

Jim Roots

Unread post by Jim Roots » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:37 pm

Isn't it time for Criterion to do a Barbarella release?

I mean, if they can do Multiple Maniacs and Beyond the Valley of the Dolls, doing Barbarella would go a long way towards restoring their reputation for classiness. Or something.

Jim

The Blackbird

Unread post by The Blackbird » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:20 am

You know that sheet of glass she lies on at the start of BARBARELLA? I've always wondered, if they had auctioned off that sheet of glass after the filming, how much they could have got for it?

precode

Unread post by precode » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:46 pm

She looks astounding for 80, especially when you consider that Norma Desmond was a dried-up old hag at 50!

Mike S.

The Blackbird

Unread post by The Blackbird » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:49 am

precode wrote:She looks astounding for 80, especially when you consider that Norma Desmond was a dried-up old hag at 50!

Mike S.
Heck, did you see Lindsay Lohan at 25?

goalieboy82

Unread post by goalieboy82 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:46 am

the only thing i know is not to say her name to Vietnam Vets.

precode

Unread post by precode » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:54 pm

The Blackbird wrote:
precode wrote:She looks astounding for 80, especially when you consider that Norma Desmond was a dried-up old hag at 50!

Mike S.
Sadly, yes. An astounding beauty (and quite talented) gone to hell in a handbasket. A cautionary tale if ever there was one.

Mike S.

Brooksie

Unread post by Brooksie » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:14 pm

Mike S.
If we assume that Norma Desmond's career peaked in the mid 1920s, a mere 25 years have passed between the events of Sunset Blvd and her heyday.

For the sake of comparison, Madonna is 59 and had her first hit nearly 35 years ago.

Makes you think, don't it? And not in a good way ... :shock:

Harold Aherne

Unread post by Harold Aherne » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:44 pm

Brooksie wrote:If we assume that Norma Desmond's career peaked in the mid 1920s, a mere 25 years have passed between the events of Sunset Blvd and her heyday.

For the sake of comparison, Madonna is 59 and had her first hit nearly 35 years ago.

Makes you think, don't it? And not in a good way ... :shock:
By way of comparison, the opening credit sequence of Bonnie and Clyde, with the sepia photographs and Rudy Vallee crooning "Deep Night", tries to establish the 1930s as an almost mythically distant time, yet chronologically, it was only as far away in 1967 as maybe 1985 is today.

It could be that the rate of cultural change in the last half-century or so settled down to something more incremental than the whiplash-inducing changes between, I dunno, the Great War and the 60s. Or maybe we're just a lot more accustomed to seeing the various decades of the 20th century constantly on display.

-HA

boblipton

Unread post by boblipton » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:05 pm

Nah. It's more a matter of Boomers being in charge,

Bob
Life's too short to sit on our rears watching other people's work.
— Bob Fells

busby1959

Unread post by busby1959 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:36 pm

[quote="precode"]She looks astounding for 80, especially when you consider that Norma Desmond was a dried-up old hag at 50!

Mike S.
[/quo

Keep in mind that Norma Desmond didn't have access to collagen injections, boob lifts, or any form of plastic surgery as we know it today. Yes, Ms. Fonda and many of her contemporaries look terrific for their years, but don't kid yourself - the girl's had help in maintaining her appearance.
And I thought Gloria Swanson looked fabulous in "Sunset Boulevard"...nowhere near a dried up old hag. Everyone knows, or should know, that 'Norma Desmond' was a fictitious person and Gloria was an actress playing the character, not living the character. And I believe Desmond's tragedy was her inability to release the past and accept the fact that both times and movies had moved on, rather than erosion of her appearance. Norma's sizeable vanity would have made her take the best care of her looks.

drednm

Unread post by drednm » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:41 pm

busby1959 wrote:

Mike S.
[/quo

Keep in mind that Norma Desmond didn't have access to collagen injections, boob lifts, or any form of plastic surgery as we know it today. Yes, Ms. Fonda and many of her contemporaries look terrific for their years, but don't kid yourself - the girl's had help in maintaining her appearance.
And I thought Gloria Swanson looked fabulous in "Sunset Boulevard"...nowhere near a dried up old hag. Everyone knows, or should know, that 'Norma Desmond' was a fictitious person and Gloria was an actress playing the character, not living the character. And I believe Desmond's tragedy was her inability to release the past and accept the fact that both times and movies had moved on, rather than erosion of her appearance. Norma's sizeable vanity would have made her take the best care of her looks.
Gloria Swanson had to be "aged" for the part of Norma Desmond.
Ed Lorusso
Writer/Historian
-------------
https://wordpress.com/view/silentroomdo ... dpress.com" target="_blank

All Darc

Unread post by All Darc » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:07 pm

Lindsay Lohan at 55 :

The Blackbird wrote:

Mike S.
Keep thinking...