Warner Archive for 2018

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
Danny Burk

Re: Warner Archive for 2018

Unread post by Danny Burk » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:16 pm

Decotodd wrote:Has WA issued all of the silent pictures they own for which a music track is available? Is it possible they've run out of material without commissioning a new score?
Offhand the only one I can think of is THE WIND, but there are probably other stragglers. For the most part, the unreleased titles are those without scores.

mwalls

Unread post by mwalls » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:22 am

I am a former subscriber to Filmstruck. I just checked about WB Archive streaming and found they shut down and transferred titles to Filmstruck (I think there was a thread on that a few months ago). I will probably resubscribe to Filmstruck since it seems as though they have added many more classic films. I have a little difficulty navigating their catalog. Do many of these precode/ lessor known WB films find their way to Filmstruck?

Thanks,
Matthew

buskeat

Unread post by buskeat » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:37 pm

mwalls wrote:I am a former subscriber to Filmstruck. I just checked about WB Archive streaming and found they shut down and transferred titles to Filmstruck (I think there was a thread on that a few months ago). I will probably resubscribe to Filmstruck since it seems as though they have added many more classic films. I have a little difficulty navigating their catalog. Do many of these precode/ lessor known WB films find their way to Filmstruck?

Thanks,
Matthew
Their selection of classic Hollywood films is leaps and bounds above what they offered on Warner Archive Instant. Here's the story on the changes from late February: https://variety.com/2018/digital/news/t ... 202709741/

They've been adding between 20 and 40 classic Hollywood films every Friday and primarily they bundle them by director or sta. The number depends on the access to that particular actor or director's work. For example, the other week they added 21 Joan Crawford films: The Unknown, West Point, Across to Singapore, Out Dancing Daughters, Our Modern Maidens, Possessed (1931), Grand Hotel, Sadie McKee, The Last of Mrs. Cheyney, Mannequin, The Women, Strange Cargo, A Woman's Face, Above Suspicion, Mildred Pierce, Humoresque, Possessed (1947), Flamingo Road, The Damned Don't Cry, Whatever Happened to Baby Jane and Trog. All films are generally available for six months. It's a nice mix of the canon and rarities. Some are missing obviously. Time periods, I suspect, vary based on the output of whichever star/director they feature.

Every week they also add a TCM Select offering that includes a more in=depth Mankiewicz intro, up to five minutes. Sometimes those aren't up as long. Forbidden Planet was around for just a few weeks.

The service is now absolutely everything I ever wanted it to be.

mwalls

Unread post by mwalls » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:06 pm

buskeat wrote:
mwalls wrote:I am a former subscriber to Filmstruck. I just checked about WB Archive streaming and found they shut down and transferred titles to Filmstruck (I think there was a thread on that a few months ago). I will probably resubscribe to Filmstruck since it seems as though they have added many more classic films. I have a little difficulty navigating their catalog. Do many of these precode/ lessor known WB films find their way to Filmstruck?

Thanks,
Matthew
Their selection of classic Hollywood films is leaps and bounds above what they offered on Warner Archive Instant. Here's the story on the changes from late February: https://variety.com/2018/digital/news/t ... 202709741/

They've been adding between 20 and 40 classic Hollywood films every Friday and primarily they bundle them by director or sta. The number depends on the access to that particular actor or director's work. For example, the other week they added 21 Joan Crawford films: The Unknown, West Point, Across to Singapore, Out Dancing Daughters, Our Modern Maidens, Possessed (1931), Grand Hotel, Sadie McKee, The Last of Mrs. Cheyney, Mannequin, The Women, Strange Cargo, A Woman's Face, Above Suspicion, Mildred Pierce, Humoresque, Possessed (1947), Flamingo Road, The Damned Don't Cry, Whatever Happened to Baby Jane and Trog. All films are generally available for six months. It's a nice mix of the canon and rarities. Some are missing obviously. Time periods, I suspect, vary based on the output of whichever star/director they feature.

Every week they also add a TCM Select offering that includes a more in=depth Mankiewicz intro, up to five minutes. Sometimes those aren't up as long. Forbidden Planet was around for just a few weeks.

The service is now absolutely everything I ever wanted it to be.
Thank you for the rundown and the link. I resubscribed.

Matthew

silentfilm

Unread post by silentfilm » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:05 pm

SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS - TWO DISC SPECIAL EDITION BLU-RAY (1954) New to Blu-ray with a 2018 1080p HD Remaster (Disc One) First Time in 1080p HD (Disc Two)
The "B" Musical that could, and did, conquer the big screen comes roaring and leaping to life at least in lush and lively 1080p HD on Blu-ray. Long sought for, and finally achieved, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers is sharper, brighter and stronger sound than ever in this special two-disc presentation. Howard Keel and Jane Powell, two of musical film's greatest performers ably command a cast of actors, dancers and tumblers in this tale of questionable courting in mid-19th century Oregon. Buoyed by Stanley Donen's up-for-any-challenge direction that included shooting a larger-than-life landscape musical indoors on the lot, Michael Kidd's stunning choreography and a sly, sweet and clever score from Johnny Mercer and Gene de Paul, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers was an instant classic and one of the biggest blockbusters of all time. Also includes the seldom seen alternate "wide screen" version of the film, presented in HD on a second Blu-ray disc. It's a keeper - see for yourself. Special Features: Audio Commentary by Stanley Donen (2004); "MGM Jubilee Overture" Short Subject, Remastered in 1080p HD and Lossless DTS HD-Master Audio 5.1; "Sobbin' Women: The Making of Seven Brides for Seven Brothers," hosted by Howard Keel (SD); Radio City Music Hall Premiere - July 22, 1954 (SD); "MGM's 30th Anniversary" (1954 MGM Newsreel) (SD). 16x9 Letterbox (Disc One), 16x9 Widescreen (Disc Two)

DESIGNING WOMAN (1957) New to Blu-ray with a 2018 1080p HD Remaster
Lauren Bacall delights in one of her finest screen performances in a mid-century modern take on the mismatched romance comedy in the vein of It Happened One Night and Woman of the Year . Bacall plays Marilla Hagen, an uptown fashion designer who helps sportswriter Mike Hagen (Gregory Peck) out of a jam and into matrimony while on vacation. When the pair returns east, they discover that their different lifestyles - and some ex-flames - may be more than they bargained for. Director Vincente Minnelli's sumptuous mise-en-scene, production design, color palette and framing pops like never before in this crystal-clear HD transfer along with a bevy of gorgeous gowns from designer Helen Rose who also came up with the plot. Special Features: Theatrical Trailer (HD); Behind the Scenes Mini-Documentary Featuring Costume Designer Helen Rose. 16x9 Letterbox

RE-DISC-OVERIES
THE BAND PLAYS ON (1934) New to DVD
A quartet of street kids is caught stealing a car and get sent to an unusual reform school - the gridiron. Entrusted into the care of Pacific University's head football coach Howdy Hardy (Preston Foster), the four youths grow into young sports stars as Hardy's Bombers, masters of the backfield. Tony (Robert Young) and Stuffy (Stuart Erwin) vie for the affections of Kitty (Betty Furness), sister of teammate Mike (Russell Hardie) while Rosy (William Tannen) tries to keep his head in the game while cracking the books. The boys' reformation gets threatened by Mike's and Kitty's older brother Joe (Ted Healy), who tempts Tony with the promise of quick and easy dough, sans scruples. After Stuffy and number one fan Angelo (Leo Carillo) get injured in an auto accident while trying to steer Tony away from Joe, the Bombers end up banished to the bench. But the boys are determined to get back into Howdy's good graces and back on the field.

A MODERN HERO (1934) New to DVD
Richard Barthelmess stars as a self-made Übermensch who wills himself to power through a series of seductions in this existential epic from celebrated cineaste G.W. Pabst (High and Low). Pierre Radier (Barthelmess) may be the bastard love child of a leopard tamer and the son of Europe's wealthiest clan, but he's also the best bareback horseman under the big top in the states - and that's not good enough for him. Dreams of wealth and power frame his every ambition, so much so that when he falls for Joanna Ryan (Jean Muir), she rejects his offer of marriage despite her most delicate condition. Pierre claws his way out of the circus and into big business from bicycle shop to automobile manufacturer to munitions magnate thanks to the ministrations of a wealthy widow (Florence Eldridge), a wealthier heiress (Dorothy Burgess) and a high society mistress (Verree Teasdale) but his rapid ascent is eclipsed by a steeper and tragic fall.

BABY FACE HARRINGTON (1935) New to DVD
Legendary "tough guy" director Raoul Walsh (High Sierra, White Heat) helms this crime comedy caper that places perpetual milquetoast Charles Butterworth at the center of the action. Butterworth plays Willie Harrington, mild-mannered spouse of socially ambitious Millicent (Una Merkel). Pushed by Millie to be more of a man, Willie's demand for a raise at work is mistaken for a resignation. Desperate to secure his mortgage, Willie cashes in a life insurance policy and promptly loses the money. Accidentally brandishing a gun while blaming an innocent broker (Donald Meek) for the loss, Willie becomes an armed bandit only to discover his error. Before he can make amends however, he's rolled by the notorious bank robber Rocky Bannister (Nat Pendleton). Now dubbed "Baby Face" and believed to be the mastermind behind Bannister's crimes, the phony felon must face down some very real criminal McCoys.

KID NIGHTINGALE (1939) New to DVD
Boxing manager "Honest" Skip Davis (Walter Catlett) is desperate when his latest prospect turns out to be more of a mug than a pug. Drowning his sorrows, he makes his latest discovery: singing waiter Steve Nelson (John Payne), after the waiter knocks out some hecklers. Promising Steve lessons from the great opera coach Rudolfo Terassi (Harry Burns), Skip persuades Steve to sign on as a fighter. While Steve fails to impress big league boxing promotor Mike Jordan (Ed Brophy), he does make quite the impression on the ladies, including Judy Craig (Jane Wyman). Mike's main competition, Charles Paxton (Charles D. Brown), notices and hatches a scheme in concert with Skip. They'll use Steve's burly good looks and beautiful baritone to land some ladies in the seats while building "Kid Nightingale's" rep, thanks to a series of rigged fights. And to keep Steve happy, they'll have wrestler Strangler Colombo (Harry Burns) impersonate Terassi!

THE MAN FROM DOWN UNDER (1943) New to DVD
Acting luminary Charles Laughton stars as stalwart Anzac soldier Jocko Wilson in this saga set between the world wars. The big-hearted Jocko impulsively adopts a pair of Belgian war orphans in the closing days of World War I, intending to raise them with his singing sweetheart Aggie (Binnie Barnes). Jocko succeeds in smuggling the orphans out, but Aggie is left stranded. Jocko raises the pair in his native Australia and the boy, Nipper (Richard Carlson), becomes a lightweight boxing champion while the girl, Mary (Donna Reed) attends boarding school. Jocko buys a hotel with winnings courtesy of Nipper and Aggie, now a rich widow, who re-enters his life. To Jocko's chagrin, rekindling their romance is the last thing Aggie has in mind while Nipper is driven to abandon the family, breaking both Jocko's and Mary's hearts. It takes the start of World War II and a Japanese invasion to bring the Wilsons back together - but at what cost?

s.w.a.c.

Unread post by s.w.a.c. » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:31 am

This is as good a place as any for a Warner Archive question, a friend of mine was curious why they haven't put Hitchcock's Stage Fright out on BD, after doing The Wrong Man, Suspicion and I Confess. The only other WB title not on BD I think is Mr. & Mrs. Smith.

I watched my WB DVD copy last night, and noticed a large vertical scratch at the tail end of the film, so I guessed there must be some delay in doing restoration/preservation on the title, but I always figured a Hitchcock film would be a Grade-A priority for a studio like WB.

Does anyone have some info on this?
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

Keatonesque

Unread post by Keatonesque » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:15 pm

Taken from a recent interview, here's our beloved Kevin Brownlow on the abomination (imo) that is Warner Brothers when it comes to their silents:
Q: Why did you choose Rex Ingram’s Mare Nostrum [1926] to show for this celebration?

A: Rex Ingram has been quite forgotten. I very seldom come upon a screening of anything he’s done. The last time Photoplay restored one of his films it was The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse [in 1992]. I was quite used to seeing it in the versions available over here, but it looks so much better and is such a better a film when you see it as it was released in 1921. When it was reissued the year Rudolph Valentino died, in 1926, it coincided with a number of treaties in which European countries agreed to try not to go to war with one another. So they cut out scenes of a German orgy and executions and so on. Editing out those and a few other scenes made it a much less interesting picture. It was marvelous to restore them and add a really stunning score by Carl Davis.

And it’s really frustrating that Warner Bros. has yet to fulfill its promise of putting that out on DVD. They did do Ben-Hur [as part of the 1959 version’s collector’s edition] and Flesh and the Devil and The Big Parade. But they were going to put out all the MGM restorations we did at Thames Television. They included The Crowd, The Wind, and Show People, most with marvelous scores by Carl Davis. When I located the original negative of The Big Parade, they did a marvelous job with that, and they must have been disappointed when it failed to meet their financial expectations. Still, it’s a form of commercial censorship.
Lest we forget, in considering Warner's output on Blu-Ray, out of 665 HD releases thus far, only two have been from the Silent era.

Source: https://www.filmcomment.com/blog/interv ... -brownlow/

silentfilm

Unread post by silentfilm » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:58 pm

New from the Warner Archive...

VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED (1960) New 2018 1080p HD Master
John Wyndham's British Sci Fi masterpiece, "The Midwich Cuckoos" was an instant classic of eerie suspense and true dread, and this big screen adaptation has lost none of its power in the nearly sixty years since its release. Director Wolf Rilla, producer Ronald Kinnoch (as "George Barclay") and future celebrated screen scribe Stirling Silliphant successfully navigated the treacherous waters between the Scylla and Charybdis of the source material's Production Code triggering subject matters. Infidelity, pre-marital sex, rape, patricide, possession, child murder and more all come bubbling up in the film's heady broth of British competence and discretion in the face of horror and despair. George Sanders stars as a sage citizen of a midland's English village that suffers a mysterious, all-encompassing black out. Upon awakening it is soon discovered that Midwich's entire population of fertile females are now all pregnant. Initial fears of outrage and betrayal are soon supplanted as it is realized that a clutch of cuckoos - hyper-intelligent, telepathic and otherworldly children have been placed in their midst. This taut, economical science fiction thriller is more hypnotic than ever thanks to this glorious Black and White High Definition edition on Blu-ray. Special Features: Commentary by "Chronicles of Terror: Silent Screams" author Steve Haberman; HD Trailer. 16x9 Widescreen

HARD TO FIND CLASSICS NEW TO DVD
CAPTAIN THUNDER (1930) New to DVD
Fay Wray stars in this south-of-the-border fable about a noble bandito who comes to the romantic rescue of an innocent señorita. El Capitan Thunder (Hungarian silent-screen star Victor Varconi) is a caballero whose love of life, liquor and ladies is only surpassed by his honor. Although El Capitan is adept at breaking the law and breaking hearts, his promises are sacred and never broken. While the amusingly inept Comandante Ruiz (Dutch-born comic actor Charles Judels) conspires to trap El Capitan, gringo rancher Morgan (Robert Elliot) schemes to win the hand of Ynez (Wray) over her suitor of choice, local boy Juan (Don Alvarado). Also smitten with Ynez, El Capitan gives her his sacred vow after she helps him escape Ruiz's soldiers, but El Capitan's bond is on a collision course with a previous promise made to a fellow gringo... Morgan! Can El Capitan steal a wedding and save the day?

FLIGHT FROM GLORY (1937) New to DVD
The cables go out to grounded, disgraced pilots, enticing them with the message, "Can Use Experienced Pilot, Best Planes in Flying Field This Part of the World." The reality of service in the Trans-Andean Air Service of Delgado, Argentina, is far different, and far deadlier than expected. Under the ruthless stewardship of Ellis (Onslow Stevens), an international band of desperate airmen quickly find their souls in hock to the company store while taking to the air between the frozen peaks of the Andes in "Flying Coffins." After another pilot is killed, a callow replacement, George Wilson (Van Heflin), arrives with a surprise - he's brought his bride (Whitney Bourne) along. As the presence of a lady effects a strange alchemy upon the grizzled flyers, sparks fly between boss pilot Paul Smith (Chester Morris) and new bride, sending the humiliated Wilson into a dangerous tailspin.

TERESA (1951) New to DVD
Celebrated director Fred Zinnemann (High Noon, From Here to Eternity ) delves into territories pioneered by the postwar Italian neorealists for this tale of a traumatized GI (John Ericson) and his Italian war bride (Pier Angeli, in her American film debut). Careening between crisis points in the life of Philip Cass (Ericson), Zinnemann unspools Philip's war story through his counseling with his Veterans Affairs officer (Rod Steiger). Young Philip is not well-prepared for the life of a trooper, his only bright spots a kindly sergeant (Ralph Meeker) and Teresa (Angeli), the daughter in an Italian family that houses his squad. After Philip's worst fears are realized in battle, he returns to Teresa's village and marries her. The couple moves into Philip's home and finds a very different sort of battle waiting. Although Ericson's vet is the protagonist, Angeli anchors the film with her astonishing and heartfelt performance.

THE STEEL FIST (1952) New to DVD
Roddy McDowall stars as Erik, an idealistic young student in an unnamed Iron Curtain country. After a student demonstration erupts into a riot and members of the military are assaulted, Erik is identified as the instigator. Forced to flee with just the clothes on his back, he makes contact with the underground, thanks to his uncle's contacts, beginning a circuitous trek to freedom aided by rebels of all types. Marlina (Kristine Miller), "the mountain goat," a beautiful climber whose status is complicated by her affair with a local Red Army captain (Rand Brooks) helps Erik as the Red Army closes in. Marlina's brother Franz (Harry Lauter) joins the pursuers in a desperate gambit to lead them away from their prey.

YOUNG DILLINGER (1965) New to DVD
Nick Adams (The Rebel) stars alongside Robert Conrad (The Wild, Wild West) and Mary Ann Mobley (Get Yourself a College Girl ) in this fast-paced action epic that zeroes in on John Dillinger's journey from youthful romantic to machine-gun-toting, bank-robbing, homicidal maniac. Cajoled by his girlfriend (Mobley) into robbing her father's business, young Dillinger (Adams) is caught and persuaded to take the rap to protect her. Now an embittered young convict, Dillinger makes the acquaintance of "Baby Face" Nelson (John Ashley) and "Pretty Boy" Floyd (Conrad). Helping them break out of prison, Dillinger embarks on a crime spree that sees him quickly become public enemy number one. Completely caught up in a frenzy of thrills, parties and violence, Dillinger fails to see the nationwide noose that is tightening around his neck. 16x9 Widescreen

BACK IN PRINT ON DVD

EDGE OF DARKNESS (1943) Back on DVD
This remarkable drama, set in a small Norwegian village, pays tribute to the heroic spirit of common people taking up arms against the Nazi invaders. Errol Flynn delivers a fine, understated performance as a common fisherman who leads the town's resistance efforts. Ann Sheridan's strong character reflects the strength of all womankind. And featured in the superb ensemble cast are Walter Huston, Ruth Gordon and Judith Anderson.

NORTHERN PURSUIT (1943) Back on DVD
Errol Flynn plays Steve Wagner, a Canadian Mountie of German descent. When Nazis sneak into Canada and all but their leader is killed in an avalanche, Steve rescues him and, with their German background in common, attempts to befriend him. The Nazi is subsequently arrested, but later breaks out of jail, taking several fellow prisoners with him. Their diabolical plan: to bomb the canal that binds Canada and England.

UNCERTAIN GLORY (1944) Back on DVD
In one of his best performances, Errol Flynn plays Jean Picard, a convicted criminal who escapes the guillotine when an air raid strikes Paris. On the run in Bordeaux, he is pursued and captured by determined detective Marcel Bonet (Paul Lukas), who has been tracking him for many years. But when the train back to Paris is derailed by saboteurs and the Nazis retaliate by taking innocent hostages, Picard makes Bonet a most unusual offer...

THE FLAME AND THE ARROW (1950) Back on DVD
Burt Lancaster stars as a medieval Italian hero who fights the barbarian invaders in this swashbuckling adventure. In the heartland of the country that had once ruled the known world, the descendants of Roman soldiers have been conquered by German Hessians. But one man, Dado (Lancaster, performing his own stunts!), leads a brave band of patriots in the battle against the Germans. Now, when Dado's former wife (Virginia Mayo) decides to wed his sworn enemy, the German Count Ulrich (Frank Allenby), the fight becomes personal.

THE WRECK OF THE MARY DEARE (1959) Back on DVD
Michael Anderson directs this Hitchcockian suspense actioner that teams cross-generational he-men, Gary Cooper and Charlton Heston. John Sands (Heston) boards the seemingly abandoned Mary Deare, only to find its First Officer (Cooper) trying to pilot the merchant mariner solo. Desperate to prove the ship was deliberately scuttled, and, as a result, vindicate his good name, First Officer Patch is willing to dare all. Only now he has a passenger. With Michael Redgrave and Richard Harris. 16x9 Letterbox

Jim Roots

Unread post by Jim Roots » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:36 am

silentfilm wrote: Image
Errol Flynn plays Steve Wagner, a Canadian Mountie of German descent. When Nazis sneak into Canada and all but their leader is killed in an avalanche, Steve rescues him and, with their German background in common, attempts to befriend him. The Nazi is subsequently arrested, but later breaks out of jail, taking several fellow prisoners with him. Their diabolical plan: to bomb the canal that binds Canada and England.
Huh? There's a canal across the Atlantic Ocean that links Canada to England?

Is it east of Java, too?

Jim

radiotelefonia

Unread post by radiotelefonia » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:25 pm

Jim Roots wrote:
silentfilm wrote: Image

Is it east of Java, too?

Jim
This film is a remake of BULLETS OR BALLOTS and it was later remade again as SPRINGFIELD RIFLE.

barry byrne

Unread post by barry byrne » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:06 am

FLIGHT FROM GLORY (1937) New to DVD

Methinks I recall this plot also being adaptive reuse!

s.w.a.c.

Unread post by s.w.a.c. » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:45 am

Jim Roots wrote:
silentfilm wrote:Their diabolical plan: to bomb the canal that binds Canada and England.
Turns out it's haunted as well, it's a very eerie canal.

Jim Roots

Unread post by Jim Roots » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:33 pm

s.w.a.c. wrote:
Jim Roots wrote:
silentfilm wrote:Their diabolical plan: to bomb the canal that binds Canada and England.
True, but it has a superior view.

Jim

s.w.a.c.

Unread post by s.w.a.c. » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:17 pm

Jim Roots wrote:
s.w.a.c. wrote:
Jim Roots wrote:Huh? There's a canal across the Atlantic Ocean that links Canada to England?
True, but it has a superior view.
Sounds like huron the right track.

R Michael Pyle

Unread post by R Michael Pyle » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:34 pm

Mish!! Egad...

s.w.a.c.

Unread post by s.w.a.c. » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:59 pm

R Michael Pyle wrote:Mish!! Egad...
That was Onterrible.

Rick Lanham

Unread post by Rick Lanham » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:53 pm

s.w.a.c. wrote:
R Michael Pyle wrote:Mish!! Egad...
That was Onterrible.
Thames fighting words.

Rick
“The past is never dead. It's not even past” - Faulkner.

Dean Thompson

Unread post by Dean Thompson » Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:02 pm

Rick Lanham wrote: Thames fighting words.

Rick
Fighting words indeed. Don't be in de-Nile.

silentfilm

Unread post by silentfilm » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:47 pm

NEVER SO FEW (1959) New 2018 1080p HD Master
John Sturges directs a soul-patch sporting Frank Sinatra in this war drama that bridges the gap between patriotic paeans of the past and the anguished ambiguities of the coming conflict in Vietnam. Focusing on the still seldom told tale of the valiant native Kachin struggles against the Japanese in the remote jungles of Burma during World War II. Sinatra plays OSS liaison Capt. Tom Reynolds, who attempts to aid the Kachin along with fellow OSS operatives Captain Grey Travis (Peter Lawford) and Corporal Bill Ringa (a show-stealing Steve McQueen) despite the indifference of Army command. Fielding an all-star ensemble that includes Gina Lollobrigida, Paul Henreid, Brian Donlevy and Charles Bronson, this CinemaScope Metrocolor action epic sparkles as if brand-new on this spectacular Blu-ray Disc. 16x9 Letterbox

HOME FROM THE HILL (1960) New 2018 1080p HD Master
Robert Mitchum demonstrates his true screen acting genius in this heart-searing melodrama from movie maestro Vincente Minnelli. Mitchum plays little Texas town big man Wade Hunnicutt whose appetites for lust, destruction and contradiction threaten to subsume all who live in his wake. It's a testament to Mitchum's sublime skill that so loathsome a man can so thoroughly command our attention, while Eleanor Parker's bonafides shine throughout. George Peppard and George Hamilton, both cinema newcomers, rise to the occasion as Minnelli aptly frames the family saga as a modern Greek tragedy playing Wade's scions, one bereft of legacy while the other is cursed by it. Minnelli's trademark use of hue and composition is revealed in a whole new light thanks to this startling high definition presentation. 16x9 Letterbox

CAPTAIN APPLEJACK (1931) New to DVD
'Twas a dark and stormy night when mousey Ambrose Applejohn's (John Holliday) Aunt Agatha (Louise Closser Hale) discovers he's put the estate up for sale in a local magazine. Much to the dismay of his doting ward Poppy Faire (Mary Brian), Ambrose is determined to go globetrotting to seek high adventure and thwart low villainy. A series of sudden knocks at the door prove Ambrose's travel plans premature when heroic, pulpy thrills rush inside including the alluring Russian noblewoman Anna Valeska (Kay Strozzi), villainous spy Ivan Borolsky (Arthur Edmund Carew), circus psychic Horace Pengard (Otto Hoffman), his wife Kate (Julia Swayne Gordon), Ambrose's attorney John Jason (Claude Allister), and the police! It appears the Applejohn estate harbors a deep secret - the hidden treasure of Ambrose's ancestor, the pirate Captain Applejack!

WAY BACK HOME (1931) New to DVD
Native New Englander Phillips Lord (Gang Busters ) was a true Golden Age of Radio renaissance man - writer, producer, actor and all-around creative force. Lord first came to national acclaim with his creation the backwoods Maine senior citizen sage of Sunday Evening at Seth Parker's, a revue combining songs, sketches and slices of small town life. A natural fit for RKO's Radio Pictures, Seth Parker and friends made the leap to the big screen alongside a pair of up-and-comers, Frank Albertson and, more significantly, a recent transplant from the east named Bette Davis. The pair play star-crossed lovers David Clark, bastard son of shunned fallen woman Rose (Dorothy Peterson), and Mary Lucy Duffy, daughter of local landed bully Wobbling (Oscar Apfel) who seek shelter and aid from Seth. But Seth has problems of his own, as his son Robbie (Frankie Darro) has been snatched by his birth father, the dangerous Rufe (Stanley Fields).

AS THE EARTH TURNS (1934) New to DVD
Three families of a hardscrabble farming community in Maine see their lives intertwine over the course of a year in this heartfelt drama adapted from Gladys Hasty Carroll's best-selling debut novel. Newcomers of the Janowski clan arrive in early spring to a reception both suspicious and welcoming from the families of thrifty, industrious Mark Shaw and his shiftless, lazy brother George. Farming is the dream of eldest Janowski son Stan (Donald Woods), a talented violinist, who has persuaded his tailor father to sell his shop and leave the comforts of Boston for the unforgiving terrain and temperatures of Maine. Stan and Mark's daughter Jen (Jean Muir) discover their souls share a bond, but sensible Jen knows that real love takes time to set down roots and Stan's initial ardor is gently rebuffed. This initial setback is followed quickly by two more - a lightning strike and a flirtatious stepsister, putting Stan's character to the test.

s.w.a.c.

Unread post by s.w.a.c. » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:55 am

I wonder if any footage was actually captured in New England for the latter two titles. I'm guessing not, but you never know.

sepiatone

Unread post by sepiatone » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:34 am

interesting Robert Conrad is in YOUNG DILLINGER. He later played Dillinger in THE LADY IN RED(1979).

Ray Faiola

Unread post by Ray Faiola » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:46 am

WAY DOWN SOUTH is a charming little film, based on a very popular radio series at the time. In addition to the film, I have a couple of song books printed during the program's early days. There's no sass, no sex, no skin. It will be interesting to see how today's pre-code fans will react to this cinematic anomaly.
Classic Film Scores on CD
http://www.chelsearialtostudios.com

silentfilm

Unread post by silentfilm » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:02 pm

THE LAST HUNT (1956) New 2018 1080p HD Master
Robert Taylor (Quo Vadis) and Stewart Granger (The Prisoner of Zenda) star in this adaptation of Milton Lott's novel. Charlie Gilson (Taylor), a black-hearted hunter, puts together a team for a government sanctioned cull of the sole remaining buffalo herd. Joining him are the reserved Sandy McKenzie (Granger), an ex-buffalo hunter, Woodfoot (Lloyd Nolan), a one-legged skinner and red-headed "half-breed" Jimmy O'Brien (Russ Tamblyn). But trouble drives the team asunder after Charlie massacres a group of Indians and kidnaps the lone survivors - a young mother (Debra Paget) and her child. Sandy soon realizes his partner is consumed with hate... and that he enjoys killing more than just buffalo. Lensed on location in the wild wide-open of Custer State Park, South Dakota, this ahead-of-its-time Western drama delivers intense, stark and haunting imagery along with a powerful performance from Robert Taylor's rare antagonist turn on this eye-popping 1080p presentation on Blu-ray. 16x9 Letterbox

THE NAKED AND THE DEAD (1958) New 2018 1080p HD Master
Norman Mailer's classic comes to the big screen courtesy of Raoul Walsh (Objective, Burma!, High Sierra) and an ensemble of seasoned acting vets and fresh-faced up-and-comers. Raymond Massey and Cliff Robertson play officers whose opposing views on military leadership are the two poles upon which a platoon's fate is stretched within war of the Pacific. Massey's Gen. Cummings advocates fear to best goad men to face death, whereas Robertson's Lt. Hearn vehemently disagrees. Hearn is hard-pressed, however, to find the better nature within the sadistic Sgt. Croft (Aldo Ray), whose own war-time ethos seems to be pure hatred. Pounded inside this crucible are the men of the platoon, pals Roth (Joey Bishop) and Goldstein (Jerry Paris), scout Martinez (Henry Amargo), medic Ridges (James Best), older vet Red (Robert Gist), southern Cpl. Wilson (L. Q. Jones), nerve-case Minetta (Greg Roman) and new father Gallagher (Richard Jaeckel). Walsh's stark vision of the dark heart of a man - at war even while at peace - commands our attention on this combat ready crystal-clear HD transfer on Blu-ray. 16x9 Letterbox

RARE & HARD-TO-FIND CLASSICS
THE GIRL DOWNSTAIRS (1938) New to DVD
Wealthy playboy Paul Wagner makes illicit entrances a specialty, especially if it means getting close to society girl Rosalind Brown (Rita Johnson). Paul brazen swaggering ways lands him in hot water with Rosalind's disapproving father (Walter Connolly), and Paul is barred from the Brown's manse. The wily Paul soon finds the chink in wall keeping him away from Rosalind - Katarina, the downstairs scullery maid, who, not being allowed upstairs, has never seen Paul. Impersonating his own chauffeur, Paul romances Katarina as a means of getting close to Rosalind. Katarina's simple and selfless ways soon work their own peculiar magic on the jaded Wagner, who finds himself falling for the wrong girl. The Girl Downstairs was the second go-round for the delightful leading lady Franciska Gaal as Katerina the scullery maid, having originated the role to great acclaim in the Austrian original version, Catherine the Last.

CHINA PASSAGE (1937) New to DVD
Soldiers-for-hire Baldwin and Dugan (Vinton Haworth and Gordon Jones) land a perilous assignment - to ensure the safe arrival of the priceless Soo diamond to a shop in Shanghai. Upon delivery, the shop is attacked and in the ensuing firefight the diamond disappears. Aided by the local authorities, the pair round up a motley crew of six unusual suspects, all found in the Chinese quarter late at night - attractive and uncooperative Jane Dunn (Constance Worth), inane Mrs. Katie Collins (Joyce Compton), dipsomaniac Philip Burton (Dick Elliot), mystery writer Anthony Durand (Leslie Fenton), Durand's British valet Harvey Dinwaddle (Alec Craig), and the mysterious Dr. Feng Tu (Philip Ahn). The tables of suspicion are turned when all concerned board the same ship sailing to America. As the bodies begin piling up, Jane Dunn turns out to be an undercover agent while Tom Baldwin looks like a cold-blooded killer!

PERSONAL MAID'S SECRET (1935) New to DVD
After a lifetime serving the needs of the super-elite, maid Lizzie (Ruth Donnelly) decides to take a step-down and become the housekeeper for the solidly middle-class Smiths after taking a shine to Mrs. Joan Smith (Margaret Lindsay) at an employment agency. Winning over the reluctant John Smith (Warren Hull), Lizzie quickly demonstrates her worth as she subtly guides the Smiths up the social brackets, much to the benefit of the insurance agency John works for. The Smiths' circle soon includes socialite Diana Abercrombie (Anita Louise), a young lady of keen interest to Lizzie. As Joan's younger brother Kent (Frank Albertson) falls for Diana, she becomes the subject of interest for the married and predatory Warren Sherrill (Gordon Elliott). Compelled to protect Diana's virtue, Lizzie makes a risky confession - one that threatens the Smiths standing and her future.

silentfilm

Unread post by silentfilm » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:26 pm

KARLOFF LUGOSI HORROR CLASSICS (1936,1940,1945,1958) Back on DVD
THE WALKING DEAD (1936) Boris Karloff stars in the eerie tale of a man framed for murder, sent to the chair, and seeking revenge after being brought back to life by science. Michael Curtiz directs. Special Features: Commentary by historian Greg Mank. FRANKENSTEIN 1970 (1958) Karloff operates the lab switches and gizmos as Dr. Victor Frankenstein, granting a film crew access to shoot a horror flick at his family castle... and gets what he needs for his monstrous experiments - fresh young body parts for harvesting! Special Features: Commentary by historians Charlotte Austin, Bob Burns, and Tom Weaver; Theatrical Trailer. YOU'LL FIND OUT (1940) Boris Karloff, Bela Lugosi and Peter Lorre scare everyone silly by planning a murder to nab a young heiress's inheritance in a spoofy, spooky haunted house tale featuring the music and merriment of popular Kay Kyser and his band. Special Feature: Theatrical Trailer. ZOMBIES ON BROADWAY (1945) Mad scientist Lugosi encounters two lunkheaded Broadway agents (Alan Carney and Wally Brown) looking for a real-life zombie as an opening attraction for a new nightclub.

ANNIE OAKLEY (1935) Back on DVD
Annie Oakley's star attraction is a radiant Barbara Stanwyck, sharpshootin' her way, under George Stevens' direction, into biopic glory... and into the heart of a rival marksman (Preston Foster). Special Features: Vintage Musical Short "Main Street Follies"; Classic Cartoon "Into Your Dance".

WIFE VS. SECRETARY (1936) Back on DVD
Four Golden Era greats - Clark Gable, Jean Harlow and Myrna Loy as the romantic triangle, and a lanky newcomer James Stewart as Harlow's beau - gild this sophisticated comedy-drama that takes a savvy look at men, women and love. Special Features: Vintage Musical Short "New Shoes"; Crime Does Not Pay Short "The Public Pays"; Theatrical Trailer.

TO PLEASE A LADY (1950)/JEOPARDY (1953) Back on DVD
TO PLEASE A LADY (1950) Race car driver Clark Gable is at the wheel, but journalist Barbara Stanwyck is in control as she exposes his fierce, speed-demon tactics. JEOPARDY (1953) A plunge through a rotted pier traps Stanwyck's husband (Barry Sullivan) in the sand in this race-against-time thriller. She seeks help, only to become the captive of an escaped con (Ralph Meeker). Special Features: Jeopardy Radio Show Adaptation with the Film's Stars; Theatrical Trailers.