Mamba 1930

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
BGM
Posts: 210
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:50 am
Location: Butte, Montana

Mamba 1930

Unread post by BGM » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:29 pm

There is a nice bit of info about Mamba 1930 posted on the latest issue of The Vitaphone Project's website. I was happy to hear that plans for a dvd release may be in the works. There is also a link to a delightful video on youtube about the collector in Australia that had the original surviving two color Technicolor print. Looks like 2018 might turn out be a good year for Technicolor dvd releases!

smokey15
Posts: 112
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:18 am
Location: Cleveland, Ohio

Re: Mamba 1930

Unread post by smokey15 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:31 pm

Oh My God! I sure hope that this is true. I would love to own a copy of this film. I had hoped that this movie would someday get a DVD release but since it was not a major studio release I had my doubts.

Eric Cohen
Posts: 137
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:34 am
Location: Chicago

Re: Mamba 1930

Unread post by Eric Cohen » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:38 pm

See UCLA's restoration of Mamba on the big screen in 35mm at this year's Capitolfest, Aug. 10-12th, in Rome, NY.

User avatar
David Alp
Posts: 919
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:58 am

Re: Mamba 1930

Unread post by David Alp » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:14 am

BGM wrote:There is a nice bit of info about Mamba 1930 posted on the latest issue of The Vitaphone Project's website. I was happy to hear that plans for a dvd release may be in the works. There is also a link to a delightful video on youtube about the collector in Australia that had the original surviving two color Technicolor print. Looks like 2018 might turn out be a good year for Technicolor dvd releases!
So BGM -- I searched for over half an hour for this "Delightful video on youtube about the collector in Australia" but I cannot find it at all? Do you have the link please? So i can watch said video? Thanks! :D

smokey15
Posts: 112
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:18 am
Location: Cleveland, Ohio

Re: Mamba 1930

Unread post by smokey15 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:33 am

I'm happy to hear that Mamba will be shown at Capitolfest. I had not been able to attend last year due to illness but
I plan on attending this year.

earlytalkiebuffRob
Posts: 3411
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:53 am

Re: Mamba 1930

Unread post by earlytalkiebuffRob » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:16 pm

Let's hope it crosses the Big Pond to Blighty as well...

vitaphone
Posts: 492
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:50 am
Location: New Jersey

Re: Mamba 1930

Unread post by vitaphone » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:33 pm

MAMBA can be booked for screening through UCLA.

User avatar
bigshot
Posts: 963
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:59 pm

Re: Mamba 1930

Unread post by bigshot » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:48 am

Is this a really good film or a curate's egg? The clips at YouTube aren't very promising.

User avatar
FrankFay
Posts: 3263
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:48 am
Location: Albany NY
Contact:

Re: Mamba 1930

Unread post by FrankFay » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:30 am

bigshot wrote:Is this a really good film or a curate's egg? The clips at YouTube aren't very promising.
In terms of the plot and acting I found it average to good. The point in this film is the early Technicolor, which is above average
Eric Stott

Jay Salsberg
Posts: 248
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:20 pm
Location: Whitesboro, NY

Re: Mamba 1930

Unread post by Jay Salsberg » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:08 am

I saw it at MOMA last year, and it's a mixed bag. The plot is creaky, and the acting is what one would expect from a 1930 Poverty Row melodrama. That said, the production values are nice, particularly the sets. The color itself is OK. There was no color grading or balancing on the MOMA print, so the color flickers and fades throughout every shot. BUT... how many Technicolor films do we have from the era, so see it just because it has survived.

vitaphone
Posts: 492
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:50 am
Location: New Jersey

Re: Mamba 1930

Unread post by vitaphone » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:42 pm

Saw the fantastic UCLA restoration at MOMA last year. Color looked great and did not notice any problems at all. The challenge on a DVD release is that it is Public Domain so whoever invests in a DVD effort could see their work stolen, posted or sold cheaply.

User avatar
David Alp
Posts: 919
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:58 am

Re: Mamba 1930

Unread post by David Alp » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:58 pm

vitaphone wrote:Saw the fantastic UCLA restoration at MOMA last year. Color looked great and did not notice any problems at all. The challenge on a DVD release is that it is Public Domain so whoever invests in a DVD effort could see their work stolen, posted or sold cheaply.
That is a real shame the film has fallen into the public domain.

Would you say the restoration on "Mamba" equals the new restoration on "King Of Jazz"? Both films are from 1930; and both films were shot in the same Two Colour Technicolor Process.

Are they both of the same quality when viewed today? I am hazarding a guess that Universal would have done a better job?

We also have to take into account that about two thirds of "King Of Jazz" are actually from the original camera negative! Whereas I believe this is not the case with "Mamba".

Another factoid. Two of the "Mamba" reels were from a different source. I believe that The Library of Congress already had two reels? Or was it MoMa? I forget now? Did these look any different to the Australian footage?

vitaphone
Posts: 492
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:50 am
Location: New Jersey

Re: Mamba 1930

Unread post by vitaphone » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:24 pm

David, no there is no comparison in pictorial quality of MAMBA to KOJ. Obviously going directly to the original camera negative and spending almost half a million dollars on the restoration is hard to beat. This is not to take away from MAMBA, which is derived from two surviving prints, not negatives. UCLA did a fine job on the restoration. KOJ is tack sharp, more than any early Technicolor features you've ever seen. The DVD & BluRay is out from Criterion the end of March.

Salvidienus
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:36 am

Re: Mamba 1930

Unread post by Salvidienus » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:46 am

In all truth, if It wasn't for the fact that "Mamba" was in color it would probably receive as much attention as another Tiffany picture from that year such as "Paradise Island" 1930. The acting is dreadful and the finale is especially laughable especially in it's stereotypical depiction of the African natives. I'd much rather see something like "Under A Texas Moon" 1930 released which is a hilarious lively film with a lot of Pre-Code humor and even includes some good music.

earlytalkiebuffRob
Posts: 3411
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:53 am

Re: Mamba 1930

Unread post by earlytalkiebuffRob » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:03 pm

Salvidienus wrote:In all truth, if It wasn't for the fact that "Mamba" was in color it would probably receive as much attention as another Tiffany picture from that year such as "Paradise Island" 1930. The acting is dreadful and the finale is especially laughable especially in it's stereotypical depiction of the African natives. I'd much rather see something like "Under A Texas Moon" 1930 released which is a hilarious lively film with a lot of Pre-Code humor and even includes some good music.
The main interest of PARADISE ISLAND would (imho) be that it is a rare available example of cameraman Bert Glennon's brief directorial career, and the only on I've managed to see so far. And yes, no masterpiece, but worth a pop...

Post Reply