FilmStruck Adds Warner Bros. Library

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
buskeat

FilmStruck Adds Warner Bros. Library

Unread post by buskeat » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:17 am

Looks like FilmStruck (http://www.filmstruck.com), owned by TCM, has struck a deal with Warner Bros., its sister company, to absorb Warner Archive Instant and add a heck of a lot of Hollywood studio classics.

This makes sense, and here are the details:

http://deadline.com/2018/02/filmstruck- ... 202301824/

Price is remaining the same at $6.99 a month ($10.99 a month or $99/year to add The Criterion Collection), and it just looks like they're adding a greater number of Hollywood studio classics, the likes of which haven't been on Filmstruck before, nor Warner Archive Instant. They've added them as traditional curated categories and looks like they remain on FilmStruck for six months. They posted a new feature called Star of the Week, and they appear to expire after six months like other FilmStruck, non-Criterion features. This week's is Bette Davis, and it's 23 of her movies, which expire on August 24. They've also posted all 10 Astaire-Rogers pictures, expiring the same date. The Bette Davis movies are:

Hell's House
The Cabin in the Cotton
Three on a Match
20,000 Years in Sing Sing
Of Human Bondage
The Petrified Forest
Marked Woman
Jezebel
Dark Victory
The Old Maid
The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex
All This and Heaven Too
The Great Lie
The Little Foxes
The Man Who Came to Dinner
Now, Voyager
Watch on the Rhine
Mr. Skeffington
The Corn is Green
Another Man's Poison
Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?
Dead Ringer
Lo Scopone Scientifico

They've also posted "TCM Selects," which looks to be a rotating roster of big classics with new Ben Mankiewicz intros and other special features. Looks like they're up for a shorter period of time. Forbidden Planet, for one, expires on May 11. Some of them have been up on Filmstruck and the Criterion Channel in other forms, but the ones new to Filmstruck appear to be:

Forbidden Planet
A Night at the Opera
The Music Man
Rebel without a Cause
Casablanca
An American in paris

mwalls

Re: FilmStruck Adds Warner Bros. Library

Unread post by mwalls » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:48 am

Hmmm.....I did have Filmstruck and canceled it. Might need to revisit that decision.

Matthew

Brooksie

Unread post by Brooksie » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:23 pm

That's an interesting development. Warner Archive Instant was always pretty underwhelming, and I know people who cancelled it based on the technical teething problems alone. I guess they have to strike a balance between providing access to their library and encouraging people to keep buying their DVDs.

Battra92

Unread post by Battra92 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:15 pm

This is one of those things that just makes sense. Seeing that there are TCM intros by Ben Mankiewicz on some films makes me miss TCM that much less.

Sad to say but my Netflix subscription is more for other people than for me. I mean, occasionally I put something on there but it's pretty worthless as far as watching classic movies.

By the way, if you have FilmStruck and you haven't seen it before, go watch Three on a Match. It's a really good film.