Kong-A-Thon: All 3 "King Kong" Films on the Big Screen 1 Day

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
Loew'sJersey

Kong-A-Thon: All 3 "King Kong" Films on the Big Screen 1 Day

Unread post by Loew'sJersey » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:43 pm

2:30 PM "King Kong" 2005 Starring Naomi Watts, Jack Black & Adrien Brody. Directed by Peter Jackson. 187mins., Color. PG13
Screened in 35mm.

6 PM "King Kong" 1976 Starring Jessica Lange, Charles Grodin & Jeff Bridges. Directed by John Guillermin. 134mins., Color. PG Screened digitally.

8:30 PM "King Kong" 1933 Starring Fay Wray, Robert Armstrong & Bruce Cabot. Directed by Ernest B. Schoedsack & Merian C. Cooper. Musical Score by Max Steiner 104 min., B&W. Screened in 35mm with restored elements in digital**

Admission -
One Film: $8 Adults / $6 Kids & Seniors; Two Films: $14 / $10; All Three Films: $20 / $15

**According to Warner Bros, no 35mm print was ever struck of the seminal 2005 restoration. We plan to changeover to digital for the restored scenes, and change back to 35mm for the bulk of the presentation. The Loew's has done this before with other titles, but if rehearsal proves this technique will not be successful with this film, we will present the restored digital version in its entirety.

They don't get much bigger on the big screen than "King Kong". But on paper, at least, you might not expect so: A jungle expedition storyline -- one of the staples of the silent and early talkies era -- is expanded to include a giant gorilla who becomes smitten with a beautiful woman, then is brought back to New York City and put on display. Mayhem ensues. You might dismiss it as sounding like a B picture that would mostly appeal to young boys. Yet at its premier, the original "King Kong" movie earned rave reviews and opened at BOTH Radio City Musical Hall and the Center Theatre across the street, with total seating between the two of about 10,000. In its first four days, all of those seats were sold out for each and every one of the ten shows a day, and gross was almost $90,000. Over its entire first run, the film brought in a box office of $2 million, making a profit of $650,000. It was theatrically re-released five times, adding millions to its overall box office take. That's a lot of bananas.

Given its initial success and continuing appeal, it was inevitable that Hollywood would want to produce a"King Kong" re-make -- actually, two re-makes, so far. On Saturday, April 28, the Loew's Jersey will give fans the rare chance to enjoy, and compare, three distinct takes on one of the most popular and enduring stories in movie history.

The Landmark Loew's Jersey Theatre, 54 Journal Square, Jersey City, NJ. (201) 798-6055 loewsjersey.org [email protected]" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank. We are located directly across JFK Blvd from the JSQ PATH Station with trains to New York & Newark’s Penn Station. Close to NJ Turnpike & Holland Tunnel. Discounted off street parking in Square Ramp Garage.
The Loew's is a place where the great movie going experience is still alive -- a classic movie palace, a 50 foot wide screen, and a real pipe organ for entrance music before most shows! And whenever possible, screenings are still in 35mm.

Harlett O'Dowd

Re: Kong-A-Thon: All 3 "King Kong" Films on the Big Screen 1

Unread post by Harlett O'Dowd » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:49 am

Wait! It's not Thanksgiving!

bigshot

Unread post by bigshot » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:57 am

WHAT?! No King Kong Escapes (1967)?

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:57 am

Interesting that almost to the minute, you could watch the original three times in the time it takes to watch the other two.
“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir

s.w.a.c.

Unread post by s.w.a.c. » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:57 am

bigshot wrote:WHAT?! No King Kong Escapes (1967)?
Or King Kong Versus Godzilla (1962)?

As much as I love this idea, I wonder why they're showing them in this order. Wouldn't it be better to expose younger kids to the original King Kong, which would be more likely at a matinee than a screening that stretches past their bedtime? It would be better suited to their attention spans than Jackson's butt-numbing version.

Then again, maybe it wouldn't make any difference. I was lucky enough to catch an afternoon screening 35mm print of Mighty Joe Young at the TIFF Lightbox in Toronto a few years ago and there wasn't a single kid in the audience. I remember my parents dropping me off at the local rep house when I was 12 (in 1979) for a 16mm show of The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms, and I was totally captivated, but I guess I was that weird kid who didn't recoil at the thought of a film in B&W.
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

bigshot

Unread post by bigshot » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:50 pm

Kids watch movies on their phones. Only old fogies go to film festivals!

s.w.a.c.

Unread post by s.w.a.c. » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:03 am

Dino De Laurentiis never wrote:"When monkey shrink, everybody make a stink!"
Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!