SHOW OF SHOWS colour footage found in London"

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
brendangcarroll

SHOW OF SHOWS colour footage found in London"

Unread post by brendangcarroll » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:17 am

The BFI announced some amazing discoveries today, including colour fragments from SHOW OF SHOWS (previously only known in B&W) and the only known colour footage of Louise Brooks, and many other treasures.

See this 8 minute reel of clips with narration, posted today:

https://youtu.be/a46tD6sjD58" target="_blank
"Korngold has so much talent he could give half away and still have enough left for himself..." Giacomo Puccini (1921)

s.w.a.c.

Re: SHOW OF SHOWS colour footage found in London"

Unread post by s.w.a.c. » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:25 am

Twinkletoes wrote:Oh, ya big blister!

s.w.a.c.

Unread post by s.w.a.c. » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:17 am

Includes clips from:

The Far Cry (1926)
The Fire Brigade (1926) (some have noted this clip may be flipped, unless all of those ukulele players are left-handed)
The Black Pirate (1926) (Billie Dove test)
The American Venus (1926) (Louise Brooks costume test, by the looks of it)
Mona Lisa (1926)
"unidentified" (1925 & 1926) (at the 2:30 mark, if anyone feels like taking a crack at them)
Sally (1929)
On With the Show (1929)
The Mysterious Island (1929) (quick shot of Karl Dane mugging, not sure if it's a test or an actual scene)
Gold Diggers of Broadway (1929)
Show of Shows (1929)
Paris (1929)

brendangcarroll

Unread post by brendangcarroll » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:29 am

S.W.A.C - thank you SO much for the extra info!!!

As the younger folks would say.....RESPECT!

:lol:
"Korngold has so much talent he could give half away and still have enough left for himself..." Giacomo Puccini (1921)

s.w.a.c.

Unread post by s.w.a.c. » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:49 am

I've seen The Fire Brigade, at Eastman House, and I don't remember female ukulele players, just a very active Phil Carli on the piano. :-)

Where in the film did that scene occur?

busby1959

Unread post by busby1959 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:53 pm

Both Billie Dove and Marilyn Miller in color - you've made my day! And both Irene Bordoni and PARIS look tantalizing. There certainly were a lot of musical numbers dealing with hell in the early talking musicals..."Dancing The Devil Away" in THE CUCKOOS and "I Want To Be Bad" in FOLLOW THRU. I dimly recall a 2-strip short called, I believe, "THE DEVIL'S CAFE. It probably included unused musical sequences (probably from THE MARCH OF TIME...they frequently are), but I remember everyone seemed hell bent on going to hell (couldn't resist). I'm thrilled at the discovery of these clips. May many more turn up in the future.

greta de groat

Unread post by greta de groat » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:54 pm

I spotted John St. Polis in the first clip, with Blanche Sweet. I forgot who was with Winnie Lightner.

greta
Greta de Groat
Unsung Divas of the Silent Screen
http://www.stanford.edu/~gdegroat

Lamar

Unread post by Lamar » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:52 am

Does anyone know the name of the wild dancer (6:00 minute mark) in "The Show of Shows?" Wow.

wingate

Unread post by wingate » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:34 am

Intriguing to learn that they could colour a whole film based on a small clip.Had this been done yet and I don't mean colourisation!

s.w.a.c.

Unread post by s.w.a.c. » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:47 am

s.w.a.c. wrote:I've seen The Fire Brigade, at Eastman House, and I don't remember female ukulele players, just a very active Phil Carli on the piano. :-)

Where in the film did that scene occur?
From IMDb:
The 2-strip Technicolor sequence, running 692 feet, occurs in reel #6, and depicts a costume party in a rose garden. Handschiegl spot-coloring was used in reels #9 & #10 during the climactic fire sequence.

wich2

Unread post by wich2 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:44 pm

wingate wrote:Intriguing to learn that they could colour a whole film based on a small clip.
They can't - directly, that is.

As discussed in the other thread on this site about these clips, a restored one could simply be used as a guide to the colors originally present in the now b & w (or faded) footage.
wingate wrote:Had this been done yet
To a degree - yes. B & w scenes from POTO that were originally in color, have been colorized using the scenes that did survive in color as a guide (see above.)
wingate wrote:I don't mean colourisation!
Well, you'd better mean "colourisation" - because that is the only way for it to be done.

-Craig

earlytalkiebuffRob

Unread post by earlytalkiebuffRob » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:03 am

Amazing stuff - wonderful - and gives us hope for what colorization SHOULD (imho) be used for...

Salvidienus

Unread post by Salvidienus » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:48 pm

The film really comes to life with the color fragments... which are clearly from 35mm film. Does anyone know if the black and white version of "The Show of Shows" survives in 35mm? The print used by the Warner Archive for the DVD looks so washed out and murky that it seems to be from a 16mm print. If no 35mm print exists I doubt it can ever be restored to look as gorgeous as it obviously originally did. From the few glimpses we see, the finale of The Show Of Shows looks like it was even better than the finale from "The King Of Jazz"... the hues, sets and costumes are gorgeous... Such a tragedy that is is gone. The Warner Archive did mention awhile back that it found "a few two color Technicolor negatives" in its archive for feature films but has sadly given no details as to the titles of those films... (https://nypost.com/2013/09/28/long-lost ... -surfaces/)I wonder if one of the titles they found was "The Show of Shows"? The secrecy of some American film archives is really sad.... I wonder how many things could have been saved that were allowed to discompose simply because the archives don't want the public to know what they have. Truly heartbreaking ... :cry: It is no surprise that most film discoveries are made outside of the USA...... Even now I can see the angry replies this comment will get from those involved in American film archives. :roll: P.S. Don't bother I won't reply.

vitaphone

Unread post by vitaphone » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:50 pm

Have noticed that pretty much every post by "Salvidenus" is negative or a complaint . Not an approach that ever gets anything done. Sad.

BixB

Unread post by BixB » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:21 am

Lamar wrote:Does anyone know the name of the wild dancer (6:00 minute mark) in "The Show of Shows?" Wow.
It might be Ann Pennington but not certain.
Joe Busam

vitaphone

Unread post by vitaphone » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:50 pm

Yes, that is definitely Ann Pennington.

westegg

Unread post by westegg » Tue May 01, 2018 6:18 am

I thought it was Pennington too, but wasn't certain enough to say.

BGM

Unread post by BGM » Wed May 02, 2018 10:05 am

Wow!! This is great news! All amazing footage and very exciting to see more scenes turning up from Gold Diggers and Sally among others. I believe that only the Vitaphone discs survive from Paris. I am holding out hope that a Technicolor print or snippet from Sweet Kitty Belairs turns up in England since the film's setting is in the city of Bath! Is there a tally of the total footage now for Gold Diggers??