Anne V. Coates Dead at 92

Post news stories and home video release announcements here.
boblipton

Unread post by boblipton » Wed May 09, 2018 2:50 pm

Would you dare to edit a film by David Lean and accept an Oscar for the job?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/09/obit ... ottom-well" target="_blank

Bob
Life's too short to sit on our rears watching other people's work.
— Bob Fells

JFK

Unread post by JFK » Wed May 09, 2018 3:29 pm

Keatonesque

Re: Anne V. Coates Dead at 92

Unread post by Keatonesque » Wed May 09, 2018 4:19 pm

Rest in Peace to a true legend and artist of editing.

Mike Gebert
Site Admin

Re: Anne V. Coates Dead at 92

Unread post by Mike Gebert » Wed May 09, 2018 8:53 pm

Here's a nice interview with her about the directors she worked with, and the work/life balance of editing:

http://cinemontage.org/2010/03/career-of-anne-v-coates" target="_blank

On Twitter and Facebook a lot of people have put up GIF versions of the cut from Lawrence blowing out a match to the sun rising in a fiery orange desert. I wanted to do a version of it where it cuts from Lawrence blowing out the match— to a satellite coming around the earth in 2001. I suppose it would be taken as snarking on someone right when they died, but really, what I mean is— good artists borrow, great artists steal, and there's no doubt that Kubrick thought, if Lean can jump across the earth like that without shots of Lawrence getting on a steamboat, talking about what he hopes to find in Arabia, and so on, why can't I cut across 4 million years of evolution without scenes of apes inventing farming and building cities and the Wright Brothers and whatnot? Lean and Coates had already proven that the audience would jump like that, and find it bracing to instantly play catch up. So Kubrick's most famous cut is merely an illustration of the theorem proposed by Lean's most famous cut.

“I'm in favor of plagiarism. If we are to create a new Renaissance, the government should encourage plagiarism. When convinced that someone is a true plagiarist, we should immediately award them the Legion of Honor.” —Jean Renoir